fact or fiction?

Options
as i'm sitting here slowly eating my lunch, i couldn't help but remember what a dietician (sp?) once told my dad's girlfriend. she told her that people who eat really fast tend to gain more weight. is this true?? if so, does it have to do with the slower you eat the more you get full with less food and the faster you eat you get full with more food? i'm so confused!

Replies

• mariahruby
    mariahruby Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    it could just be a lot of nonsense too!
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    seems like fiction. just because you eat faster than someone else doesn't mean you are going to eat more than them. eating the same amount quickly or slowly shouldn't ultimately change how much weight you gain or lose.
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I heard somewhere that it takes your brain longer to realize you are full, so yes it is true!!
  • elid
    elid Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    If you measure out your food and know how many calories you're eating, it doesn't matter how fast you eat it. But if you're just grazing or eating at a buffet or something like that, because it does take a while for your stomach to register fullness, people will tend to overeat.
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've heard it takes at least 20 minutes for the "I'm full" message to get from your stomach to your brain. Personally, I've noticed that if I delay getting "seconds" at dinner, often I don't want it any more. So for some people there probably is some truth to this.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I heard somewhere that it takes your brain longer to realize you are full, so yes it is true!!

Yup, what she said. It supposedly takes 20 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain that it's full so the slower you eat, the less you consume while the signal makes its way upstairs.
  • hollyb9871
    hollyb9871 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    It's true that it takes roughly 20 min. for your brain to get the message that you are full. If you are eating quickly you are most likely taking in more food before you're brain gets the message that you're full. If you are eating the same amount of food just quicker then it wouldn't apply.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    It takes your brain apporximately 15 minutes to recognize the "full" feeling. So, it would make sense that quicker eaters gain weight more than slower eaters.
  • mariahruby
    Options
    lots of different opinions! i love it. the whole "20 minutes to get to your brain" makes a lot of sense.
  • blondiecheme
    blondiecheme Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have heard that the reason people who eat fast tend to gain more weight is because it takes your stomach 20 minutes to tell your brain its full. So if you eat really fast you can overfill yourself, whereas the slower eaters will realize they are full and stop eating.

Another idea is that slower eaters enjoy thier food more and are more staisfied with it.

I'm not sure if there is much fact to it, this is just what I have heard somewhere.

I am a fast eater, but I usually portion out my meals and eat only what I have decided I am allowed to have, so I don't think eating fast or slow affects how much I eat. I think as long as you are aware of what is going into your mouth you will be fine : )
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have no doubt that studies show that people who eat faster gain more weight/ people who eat slower weigh less, but that is not necessarily the cause.

People who eat at different speeds often have different relationships to food. My partner eats most of his food really slow, but he mostly eats because it is something he has to do, not for any emotional reasons, not because he has cravings...
  • kristanickerson
    kristanickerson Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've heard this a LOT and try to practice it, also waiting 5 mins before going for seconds helps your brain have time to catch up to your belly. I also think that when you take your time an savour your food (especially if you love food as much as i do) it helps you feel more fufilled...kind of the quality not quanity principle.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options

Yup!
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    It's true...
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    so in reality, eating more makes you larger than eating less. but there seems to be a correlation between eating more and pace at which you eat, since you don't realize you are full when you eat fast.
  • mariahruby
    Options
    thanks everyone for your helpful insight :)
  • GabrielMaestas
    GabrielMaestas Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    There is also a large correlation between those who eat fast and are on the go also. One of the worst things anyone can do is eat and then get on their feet right away. Digestion requires blood to get to the digestive system and if you eat quickly and head back the the 'grind' immediately (physical activity and or mental activity) it tends to rob blood from the digestive system to support alternative functions. This makes the digestion process slower and studies (in lab rats) shows it can lead to weight gain. So basically, sit, eat, chill for a few and THEN be on your way :o)