Is eating a late dinner sabotaging me?

Options
My fiancé doesn't get home from work until about 8 or 8:30 and I always have dinner waiting for him when he gets home, I feel eating together is important since we only get a couple hours together every day after work.
Some times I find it VERY hard to wait until he gets home so I end up snacking a little when I get home(which is around 6:30) I have started working out after work to try and curb the snacking urge but I'm wondering if I'm doing myself a disservice by waiting to eat?
Would I be better off to eat diner when I get home and work out afterwards or just try to control the snacking and do my workout first and wait for him for dinner?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Are you eating healthy snacks that fit into your daily count? If so, have a snack, workout and welcome him home with a smile, rather than a groggy "I'm hungry and not getting enough exercise" face. This way you can still preserve family time.

What? Am I they only one that has that face.
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Are you eating healthy snacks that fit into your daily count? If so, have a snack, workout and welcome him home with a smile, rather than a groggy "I'm hungry and not getting enough exercise" face. This way you can still preserve family time.

What? Am I they only one that has that face.
    My face has been more of a I can't belive I was able to move to cook your dinner face since I've been doing the 30 day shred! LOL
    I try to have something healthy but soemtimes convince myself a handful of goldfish has no calories if no one sees you eating them! I do always over estimate my calories when logging so when things like this happen I don'thave to worry too much.
  • ShelbyLB
    ShelbyLB Posts: 431
    Options
    I think its important to eat together as well...so make sure your snacks are healthy...and fill up on LOTS OF WATER...:)
  • supercatie18
    supercatie18 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Goldfish are dangerously addiciting!!!!!!!!!!
  • lemonpeel
    Options
    Definitely don't starve yourself. :) I also find myself eating later, without much physical activity between the time I eat and go to bed. For this reason my dinner is usually the smallest and lowest calorie meal of my day. Also consider this- you should probably be eating different portions, possibly even different foods than your partner- I think it is more difficult to lose weight in relationships when you are eating alike. I would suggest eating your meal when you feel hungry- then eating something low in calories like vegetables when your partner is available to eat his meal.
  • Daisy_May
    Options
    Also consider this- you should probably be eating different portions, possibly even different foods than your partner- I think it is more difficult to lose weight in relationships when you are eating alike. I would suggest eating your meal when you feel hungry- then eating something low in calories like vegetables when your partner is available to eat his meal.

I make the meals to fit my diet then just give him more! He's happy to eat heathier, well actrually I haven't had to change much in my diet other then portions so it's not much of a change for him.
    It's funny actually he thinks he is eating healthy because he's eating what I'm eating and I'm losing weight, he dosen't realize that yes what I'm eating is healthy but when you eat 5 times what I do it's NOT healthy!
  • Daisy_May
    Options
    Goldfish are dangerously addiciting!!!!!!!!!!

no kidding especially the pizza ones!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options
    The short answer is no, as long as you are staying within your calorie allowance (calories plus exercise calories) within a reasonable amount 50-100 higher or lower.

When we eat has no effect on how fast our metabolism works. Eating later at night doesn't have any effect on your weight loss for or against. It will not, as some claim, turn to fat. If they claim that I would like to see the actual study that proves it. It is sort of like the if you don't eat every 2-3 hours your body will go into starvation mode thing. That is completely unsupported by any scientific study I have ever heard of.

The only way it can negatively effect you is if it makes you more likely to eat more than your calories. Some people, when they eat later in the evening, will then want to keep eating.

Keep enjoying dinner together and grow your relationship, make sure you exercise proper calorie counting and shrink your body.