What to eat before a workout

Options
What would you recommend eating before I work out to give me lots of energy and endurance? It seems no matter what I eat...I lose my oomph in no time flat.

Replies

• deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    What's your workout?
  • danielled6875
    danielled6875 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • blynnarnold
    blynnarnold Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    What's your workout?

Right now I'm pushing cardio on most days. I split my time between the elliptical and treadmill. 2 days out of the week I strength train.
  • deathtaco
    Options
    If you MUST eat something, take a protein shake 30 minutes before on cardio days, and protein shake + banana on weight days.

What time to you normally workout? How do you feel when you "run out of oomph?"
  • mariahruby
    mariahruby Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    if i am hungry before a workout i try to eat lots of fruit! it makes me feel fresh and energized! i also take women's one a day active metabolism, which has caffeine in it. so that also gets me energized as well :)
  • deathtaco
    Options
    if i am hungry before a workout i try to eat lots of fruit! it makes me feel fresh and energized! i also take women's one a day active metabolism, which has caffeine in it. so that also gets me energized as well :)

If you're going for fat loss, I wouldn't recommend a lot of fruit (maybe 1 piece prior to lifting) before working out. Defeats the purpose on most people's diets*

*even on those diets which require carbs beforehand to minimize strength loss do not use fruit.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I find that I work out better when I don't have a full stomach. I eat protein afterward, to avoid that post-workout crash that can happen. Beforehand, I typically just drink an energy mix (not to be confused with an "energy drink," which is mostly caffeine and sugar) to give me a little extra "oomph." The one I use has electrolytes, b vitamins and ionic trace minerals - those enhance energy. Easily digestible fruit, like apples, are a good option for an energy boost that won't weigh you down.
  • blynnarnold
    Options
    If you MUST eat something, take a protein shake 30 minutes before on cardio days, and protein shake + banana on weight days.

I work out after work - normally around 5:30. When I start out - I feel like I can go forever but that only lasts about 20 minutes...anything after that is a major struggle. I feel weak and shaky and like I can't go on any longer. Everything in me is like - I just want to stop. I'm not sure if that's my body telling me to stop cause I dont feel like I'm overworking anything...or If I just dont want to work out any longer out of lazyness or loss of interest. I'm not really sure what it is. I just figured it was the wrong food choices prior to working out since I was getting shaky and weak.
  • aeckels616
    Options

I work out after work - normally around 5:30. When I start out - I feel like I can go forever but that only lasts about 20 minutes...anything after that is a major struggle. I feel weak and shaky and like I can't go on any longer. Everything in me is like - I just want to stop. I'm not sure if that's my body telling me to stop cause I dont feel like I'm overworking anything...or If I just dont want to work out any longer out of lazyness or loss of interest. I'm not really sure what it is. I just figured it was the wrong food choices prior to working out since I was getting shaky and weak.

Do you drink caffeine during the day?
  • blynnarnold
    Options

No. Caffeine effects my sleep at night no matter how early in the day I consume it so I stay away from it.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I usually work out at that time as well. I have a banana about an hour before working out. It keeps me fueled up for the entire workout because it has carbs. You should have carbs of some kind at least an hour before working out. After you are done working out, you should eat something with protein to help repair the muscles.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I would try an apple with peanut butter about an hour before your work out. Afterward maybe a handful of almonds. You should have protein within 45 minutes of your workout.
  • aeckels616
    Options

No. Caffeine effects my sleep at night no matter how early in the day I consume it so I stay away from it.

Are you getting enough water throughout the day, including during your exercise?
  • deathtaco
    Options
    What do you eat throughout the day before you work out?

If I had to go on pure assumptions I'd say you're not eating enough, and just aren't used to the weight you're lifting. I'm not 100% sure on this; but I'm fairly sure shaking is a sign of lactic acid buildup in the muscles ( generally happens to me towards the end of a heavy lift day).
  • kilinnnda
    kilinnnda Posts: 35
    Options
    I don't believe in diet that limit you fruit and vegs intake. Of couse it crazy to eat a whole bunch but a few serving a day is essential.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    i don't usually feel well if I eat within an hour before working out. Perhaps a little recovery formula in your water would help. The kind I use is Cellmass Grape Cooler. It's like a super gatorade

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=cellmass+grape&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11037934532674799391&sa=X&ei=DrKkTaW3CsP00gHR_9D3CA&ved=0CDIQ8wIwAg#
  • mariahruby
    mariahruby Posts: 130 Member
    Options

If you're going for fat loss, I wouldn't recommend a lot of fruit (maybe 1 piece prior to lifting) before working out. Defeats the purpose on most people's diets*

*even on those diets which require carbs beforehand to minimize strength loss do not use fruit.

well, i didn't really mean LOTS of fruit. i was really just trying to say that fruit is a good thing to eat before a workout & that it's something good to eat as well. i was just trying to emphasize fruit. lol my bad :)
  • deathtaco
    Options

well, i didn't really mean LOTS of fruit. i was really just trying to say that fruit is a good thing to eat before a workout & that it's something good to eat as well. i was just trying to emphasize fruit. lol my bad :)

pssh :grumble:
  • blynnarnold
    Options
    What do you eat throughout the day before you work out?

If I had to go on pure assumptions I'd say you're not eating enough, and just aren't used to the weight you're lifting. I'm not 100% sure on this; but I'm fairly sure shaking is a sign of lactic acid buildup in the muscles ( generally happens to me towards the end of a heavy lift day).

I learned today the difference between eating healthy and eating just to fulfill my calorie goal. I may be eating more empty calories or processed foods than I should be and didn't realize it. I'm pretty new to this so bear with me. haha. After learning today that what I eat may not be the best choices - I plan on doing a complete overhaul starting tomorrow. I wanted to make sure to buy the right food to eat prior to going to the gym or as part of my afternoon snack which I eat around 3:30/4 PM. It makes sense that you say I may not be eating enough or in my case - am not getting enough nutrition because of what I'm eating.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    For me, I like a handful of almonds about an hour before a workout, and a chocolate milk immediately afterwards.