Healthiest sandwich shop in SoCal?

Options
Other than Subway, what is the best sandwich shop in SoCal that offers the healthiest options? Very curious to hear everyone's opinion...cuz I don't have one. :D

Replies

• KTCali
    KTCali Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ditto! Subway has way too much sodium :)
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    cant this be worst for you burget joints? I totally have a list of those. Not sure if its really "good" for you, but they are totally made right there. Brown Bag Deli in Point Loma is really tasty! http://brownbagsd.com/
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    do you have Sprouts Markets in SoCal? if so, they make a sandwich that is healthy AND you tell them exactly what you want on it by filling out a form, only 3.49
  • allen83
    allen83 Posts: 17
    Options
    If you're eating cold cuts you're pretty much going to get a lot of sodium. As for subway you can get an oven roasted chicken breast sub and thats only ~1100 mgs of sodium for a foot long on wheat. Aside from subway I like submarina a lot because they have sprouts.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I don't think any those "chain" sandwich shops are 'healthy'. I go to a deli near my work where everything is made fresh and they don't add a ton of extras (like sauces) which contain tons of sodium. If I am wrong, someone please tell me where to go! :bigsmile:
  • gillianjoon
    gillianjoon Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I dont eat at sandwich shops anymore as there are way too many carbs in the bread. If thats really what you want to eat you can ask any sandwich shop or Deli to put any toppings you want on your sandwich therefore giving you the choice to make it healthy!! Everything you eat is your choice :bigsmile:
  • allen83
    allen83 Posts: 17
    Options
    I don't think any those "chain" sandwich shops are 'healthy'. I go to a deli near my work where everything is made fresh and they don't add a ton of extras (like sauces) which contain tons of sodium. If I am wrong, someone please tell me where to go! :bigsmile:

A lot of the sodium comes from the cold cuts. Sure theres sodium in the condiments but a majority of it is from the meat.
  • freakoutadams
    Options
    @liscar, I believe we do have Sprouts out here! Time to check for locations...

BINGO! Three within a short drive of me. Pasadena, Brea, and Claremont. Right on. I'll have to check that out.

It's true that cold cuts are packed with sodium. But wouldn't you say that lean ham, turkey, and chicken breast have beneficial nutrients to them that make up for the sodium gut punch?
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options

A lot of the sodium comes from the cold cuts. Sure theres sodium in the condiments but a majority of it is from the meat.

This. ^

A huge chunk of your sodium in deli sandwiches comes from the meat, in fact, the bulk of it does. Unless a deli is using 100% fresh roasted, unseasoned/brined meats that they slice to order, you're getting big ole sodium bombs. Most deli meats have 400-700mg of sodium per serving. Then the bread prolly has 200-400mg more of sodium depending on the type and size. Then factor in the 300+ calories any good deli bread would be and the huge amount of carbs and you've pretty much killed any idea of a healthy meal by "just" getting a fresh deli sandwich.

As a huge fan of deli sandwiches, this was a hard truth for me to face. But there's just little to no way for me to have one without blowing out either calories, carbs, sodium or all of the above. :(
  • wolfchild59
    Options
    @liscar, I believe we do have Sprouts out here! Time to check for locations...

BINGO! Three within a short drive of me. Pasadena, Brea, and Claremont. Right on. I'll have to check that out.

It's true that cold cuts are packed with sodium. But wouldn't you say that lean ham, turkey, and chicken breast have beneficial nutrients to them that make up for the sodium gut punch?

But you can get all of those lean proteins in non-deli meat processed form and make your own sandwiches with low sodium and healthier breads. If you're headed to Sprouts anyway, their sale that starts tomorrow includes boneless skinless chicken breast for $1.99 a pound. Buy a value pack of those and a loaf of Chompies Carbs Not Multigrain bread for $5 and you'll have sandwich supplies for a week without the sodium and carb punch of a typical deli sandwich. :)
  • wolfchild59
    Options
    Oh, and I worked at a high end specialty food store for five years, the first year of which was behind the sandwich counter. We did use fresh, oven roasted, non-brined turkey breasts and roast beef to slice for our sandwiches as well as non-brined, non-salted chicken breast. And made all of the sauces fresh as well. (we had a kitchen on site) We only bought the ham from an outside source and even the quality of meat that that store bought, it was about 600mg of sodium per 2oz portion. O_o
  • geoffspinky
    Options
    Do you have a Lassens health food store? They have a deli inside where you can build a very healthy sandwich with lots of organic choices. If not here in bako we have subway or Too Fat but those arent the best, sorry :ohwell: