mid day crash!

Options
ok people i need help! Im really carefully watching my carb intake, and I'm finding that late afternoon im getting so shaky and light headed and weak! I know its because I'm hungry but I'm having a really hard time figuring out what to eat before going to the gym to hold me over till dinner! protein shakes just don't seem to be doing the job! any suggestions are much appreciated!

Replies

• rannman1
    rannman1 Posts: 4
    Options
    I suggest any of the following: radishes if you like them, cheese, an apple or orange, tuna, olives or pickles. You could even have a side salad. Does any of that sound possible?
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    smoothies with the protein powder in them, that is a good combo for me (carbs/protein) and enough calories (complex carbs to avoid a crash) to carry me through the afternoon and I try to have a recovery drink ready after my workout. hope that helps
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    yes thanks! I almost feel like I could eat all of the above together lol
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    smoothies with the protein powder in them, that is a good combo for me (carbs/protein) and enough calories (complex carbs to avoid a crash) to carry me through the afternoon and I try to have a recovery drink ready after my workout. hope that helps

what kind of recovery drink? another protein shake?
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    Turkey Jerky!
  • Brett_Alan
    Options
    I like to make a ice coffee and add a scoop of vanilla protein powder gets me to dinner every time
  • robdog316
    robdog316 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Apple imo is a very good pre-workout snack, with protein ofcorse.
  • anemoneflynn
    Options
    I generally try to have a snack around 11am and then hold off lunch until around 2pm. That way, if I eat a small snack such as a carrot or some almonds around 4 or 5pm, I can easily hold off dinner until after exercising at 5:45. I hope that helps!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    The "shaky" could be your blood sugar dropping. That won't help weight loss. You may want to add in some complex carbs at lunch (I'm sorry if you already do this, I'm making an assumption), such as a slice of whole wheat bread or some grain (I like quinoa). A combination of lean protein and complex carb should help you not to "crash".

If you're still crashing in the afternoon and protein shakes aren't cutting it, I would also try a lean protein and carb snack. Such as cheese and an apple, or peanut butter on whole wheat bread.
  • rlstogin
    rlstogin Posts: 6
    Options
    I know your watching your carbs, but working with my dietician, I've been yelled at for not eating enough carbs! You actually got a kick it up a notch and disregard the whole "BAD CARBS" idea! There are tons of HEALTHY carbs you can chow down on! Just google good carbs, I HAD to and learned alot. Hope that helps.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    cuties - those little clementine oranges. Very easy to keep a few in your gym bag's side pocket. A stick or two of string cheese is also a good snack, especially if they are reduced fat. Try planning your meals as 4 or five lighter meals spread out through the day, rather than three big meals and see if that helps.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Planters Nutrition South Beach Diet Mix. Each pouch is 200 calories but it keeps me full til dinner! :wink: Sweet things in the afternoon make me more hungry! If you are about to workout I would throw in a banana or the cutie clementines.