holiday dinner

Options
ok well easter is coming up quickly and holidays are always my worst time to stick to a diet and im really nervous about falling off the wagon :( im still not sure what we are having and there are always so much yummy desserts .....HELP

Replies

• emmigirl429
    emmigirl429 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Realistically, I'd say portion control is key! It's not fun to deprive yourself and your diet shouldn't feel like a punishment. For me, if I want dessert, I cut a really small piece and usually it will kill the craving. Plus, I think about how gross and bad I'll feel if I over indulge and it's not worth it. Good luck!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Ditto, small plate and lots of water to drink, after and before you eat, just not during the meal.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    bring a dessert to ur gathering! Something that is sugar free but still amazing (cookies, cake, etc etc), or zuccini bread with wheat flour, or something.. talk to ur family, see what u can bring, or if they are willing to help making it lower calorie (but still bomb). maybe a fruit platter with some type of sweet dip--like sugar free chocolate pudding. Or something old fashinoned like a sugar free jello cake with fruit inside... veggie tray with ranch (no fat sour cream--or reduced fat, with one of those seasoning packets)..
    if you always have scalloped potatoes and they are ur fav, ask if u can make them, use yogurt butter instead of full butter (45cal for a tbls instead of 100 (There may be other, lower cal butter, but im in love with my brummel and brown yogurt butter), and fat free/skim milk instead of full, tastes the same just less cal; dont salt it, cook with onion slices & fresh garlic & pepper...ppl can salt it themselves if they want.

also, save calories to indulge on other things... eat low cal (but filling breakfast, and a low cal, but filling lunch) all day before dinner to save as many cal's as possible (big salad with lots of veggies and instead of dressing use garlic powder/pepper/red pepper flakes is one idea that way the dressing wont increase your salt intake which could get high eating holiday food; having fruit and a low cal yogurt for breakfast maybe...??

DO NOT GO TO THE DINNER STARVING!! you will over indulge while you are there... alot of people dont eat all day and show up starving to start snacking on whatever is served as appetizers, and you want to enjoy tasting some various things, while not eating like a cow... ;-)
  • melissahann2010
    Options
    thank you so much ! these recipies and meal / snack ideas are definatly going to be used seeing im making the dinner !! i just have the habit of caving and eating just because evertone around me is .... thanks again!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    oh yea, piece of cake with you cooking!! Just look at ur normal dinner, and think of ways to change it to make it healthier & lower cal!! noone will know the difference just by using a different kind of milk or a lower cal butter. Lots of ideas of healthy eating websites, or even if you run across a good recipe somewhere that isnt low cal, look at how u can change it... everything can be made healthy..
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I personally think you should enjoy both the fellowship and the food. My family is the poster child for the clean plate club. Which is still ok if you are getting a reasonable plate. That doesn't mean pile 65 things on a 10" plate it means have a little of the and a little of that. More of your time should be spent chatting, I think. And only have one dessert. I plan to workout at some point to earn a few more cals. You can do this!
  • ShellzLo
    ShellzLo Posts: 14
    Options
    U have to have Will Power & Not fall into Temptation with the desserts. Also eat off of a smaller plate and really be concious of your serving sizes. You'll do fine I'm convinced you don't want all of your hard work to go to waste.... Hang in there you can do it....