Tricep exercises for women

Options
I'm relatively thin for my height (5'6'', 123 pounds), but I still have The Dreaded Upper Arm Flab. My biceps are pretty toned, but triceps are really easy to ignore at the gym. Can anybody recommend some good tricep exercises for women? I regularly do the one where you hold a 5 lb. barbell at the back of my head and slowly raise it up, hold it, then bring it back down.

Replies

• JLKL75
    JLKL75 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    pushups, tricep pull downs
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Tricep kick backs are good. And bumblebees are great!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Dips are a great bodyweight exercise for triceps. And whatever kind of weighted lifts you're doing, I'd recommending using more than 5 lbs. That's just not enough weight to make it worth your time, even for a thin woman.
  • kellyfultz
    kellyfultz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    tricep pushups
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Chair dips and lying tricep raises.
  • BaronessBlixen
    BaronessBlixen Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Would you mind telling me what a bumblebee is?
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options

Would you mind telling me what a bumblebee is?

Bumblebees are where you hold one of those big exercise balls behind you. You then go through a series of lifting the ball up and down and squeezing it. The entire routine is all tricep work.
  • Maztastic
    Maztastic Posts: 43
    Options
    If you can swim competently then front crawl is great for your triceps.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Over the head to behind the head curls work great.
  • Emi_chan
    Emi_chan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My favorite tricep exercise of all time are dips - that's when I really feel my triceps being worked the most :smile:
  • Rodneymc4
    Rodneymc4 Posts: 62
    Options
    The basic PUSH UP

Wide arm push ups focus mainly on the pectoralis major and secondarily on the triceps.

Regular push up - hands are slightly wider than the shoulders - the triceps are the major movers for elbow extension.

Close hand push ups - hands slightly narrower than the shoulders - the triceps are used even more.

Diamond push ups - hands touching at thumbs and fore fingers - use triceps the most but the wrist will be under tremendous pressure. I don't do diamonds because of my carpal tunnel issues and I personally do not recommend diamonds to anyone.

My wife has killer arms from all the push ups she does--she can do more push ups than our teenage sons, and not on her knees. However when we superset push ups to muscle failure, I finish on my knees ( that's at least 100 without stopping).

I'm a fan of the push up because it works the entire upper body, it uses your own body weight and you can get cut and a little big from just push ups alone. I think it's the perfect upper body exercise...10 years in the Army I may be a little bias. lol