How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
Trying not to be compulsive but it is so hard for me NOT to weigh myself daily. I know I would probably be happier with results if I just did it once a week but I can't make myself wait.

Replies

• ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Trying not to be compulsive but it is so hard for me NOT to weigh myself daily. I know I would probably be happier with results if I just did it once a week but I can't make myself wait.

• memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I try to keep it to once a week but sometimes I cheat. Hide the scale so you are not so tempted!!!
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and usually in the evening too (trying to predict my next mornings weight). I only count the morning weigh-in though. I also log that weight in here everyday.
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    I weigh every morning and usually in the evening too (trying to predict my next mornings weight). I only count the morning weigh-in though. I also log that weight in here everyday.

So I am not the only "everyday" junkie!!
  • hmariebenson
    Options
    I definitely only weigh in once a week. It's nice to have a weigh-in day, and for me that's Friday. If I've lost or achieved my goal for the week, it really keeps me focused for the weekend.

I used to fall victim to the little nagging voice and weigh in every day. I realized that there are bound to be ups and downs during the week, and especially after I work out, so to keep a level head I stick with once a week! It's so easy to get caught up in it, and if I want to make a lifestyle change, I'm going to take it slowly, versus jumping into it like a new trend.

Good luck!
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    I think Friday is a good day to weigh b/c I am always more motivated when I see the numbers go down on the scale so it would make the weekend easier! Maybe I will not weigh again until Friday. That is my goal! Thanks for the input!
  • janiebeth
    janiebeth Posts: 2,509 Member
    Options
    I also weigh in once a week - at the same time, on the same day, on the same scale. I have found that scales can vary quite a bit - I am about 5 pounds heavier in the gym during the middle of the day than I am at home prior to breakfast.

I also swing dramatically 3-5 pounds just prior to my P - so I try to keep that in mind.

Starting to see a water gain pattern? I guess I should drink more.. nice to self diagnose - thanks.

If I tried to weigh everyday, I would get discouraged really quickly - it takes more than a day to see any progress.

Good luck.. Janie
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I weigh in most everyday in the morning, right after I get out of bed. I do not weigh in on Sunday, Or Monday Mornings. and sometime I do not weigh in on Saturday mornings. A weekend thing I guess.
    But I am one of the people that starts the BIGGEST LOSER MFP weigh in on Wednesday morning so without fail you all can place bets that if it is 6:30 AMcentral standard time. Ms Diann is standing on her scale. holding her breath!
    ---Diann...
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Once a week at the same time and same day every Thurs. our weight goes up and down to many times to do more. I think thats why you gained a pound you really didn't gain it's probably just water or maybe on that day you wiegh more then ofhers, sounds funny but it's true. I pikced Thurs. because thats the day I started my weight loss journey three months ago. In those three months I never saw a gain.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday morning....well not today after my indulgance last night:angry: but i feel it keeps me on track....I know drs. reccomend once a week, but i do everyday!
  • Gats
    Gats Posts: 42
    Options
    Once a week,

Sunday

Out of bed,

same time ,

and on the same scales,

Not a pretty sight ....:noway:
  • createsure
    Options
    Every morning, but just to check. I only record a weight loss when I am clearly below it. For instance, I have been teetering right at 200 for a few days, but I will not record 200 on the site until I see a 199 first. This is so that daily fluctuations will not cause me to record 200 and then be at 201 the next day. That would be very unmotivating.
  • jesusgrl14
    Options
    I used to get on the scale every morning but that was so self-defeating. Your weight fluctuates so much due to varying factors, like water, so I was feeling successful one day and then bummed the next. It's so much nicer to anticipate Wed mornings and it makes me work harder to see that lower number. :glasses:
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Options
    I try to only do it once a week, but I usually given in to temptation and do it every other day at my trainer's studio. This is why I don't have a scale at home. I think once a week is sufficient. Then you don't see the daily highs and lows and get discouraged.
  • JeffriAnn
    Options
    I weigh myself usually every morning...about the same time...if I get up much later than usual, I don't weigh myself, but the norm is daily. I find it helpful b/c it is usually going down...may be by only 0.2 lbs, but for me, I like to see it...if I had a bad day the day before it may go up, but I like to see that too, b/c it helps me keep myself in check.
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I too WAS a daily weigher, but then I came to the conclusion that I based my days eating on the morning's numbers and it wasnt doing me any good. If I was down, I'd celebrate with a few extra calories, if I was up, I'd cut back probably more than I should. I would have daily ups and downs-
    There are too many factors in weighing for it to be useful for me. I now stick to once per week-but of course its always hard not to peek!!
  • pink125
    pink125 Posts: 16
    Options
    I do it every morning. I know I need to change. I want to try and do it once a week ,it is just so hard. But, after reading what everyone posted here I will give it a try. I am sure I would be happier with the results.
    Pink
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    I have decided that I will not weigh myself again until Friday. And from then on, just on Fridays. Do any of you actually believe that? I swear. I really am.
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    I do a Wednesday weigh in....

dd
  • jraysherr
    Options
    I weigh daily, but only record my weight change weekly. For the daily weight to be useful you have to:
    1) Have a digital scale capable of giving reliably consistent repeatable results.---something that will weigh in .5 lb increments or less and give the same consecuitive readings. 2). Weigh yourself at the same time and under the same conditions every day in order to take as many uncontrolled variables as possible out of it. The best time I've found is first thing in the morning, nude, after using the restroom, before eating or drinking anything. Even then there may be very small fluctuations occasionally in your daily weight that do not necessarily have anything to do with actual body weight change. I'm analytical in nature and I have found it very motivating to see a line going down on a chart, so I chart my weight and make a big deal out of keeping the line going down.