Has Anyone Felt this way Too?

Options
Hi All,
So I started this journey back on November 26th,I have lost 59lbs so far and I have been feeling great...highly motivated and believing in myself. I have been exercising and eating much healthier, that is until the last few days! I have another 95lbs to lose so quitting is not an option nor do I want to quit but these last few days have been really tough for me. I have been feeling down and out and it seems as though I have lost a bit of motivation. I haven't exercised for 2 days and my food choices weren't very good. As of yesterday, I got back on track with my food but I still haven't exercised, I'm going to try and go for a walk in a little while. As much as I want to succeed, I'm having trouble staying focused and I don't know why. I want this more than anything and it makes me mad at myself for slacking the last several days. Today I was thinking, "Do I really believe I CAN go all the way with this"? I really didn't have an answer. I have never lost more than 60lbs ever, in my entire life of dieting, I either ended up quitting after that or just didn't need to lose anymore. I really want to feel that sense of strong motivation again that I have been missing for the last few days but I'm not sure how to get it back. I want to be as strong now as when I first started out on this journey but I don't know how. I'm sorry if I am mumbling but I really could use some help. Has anyone else felt this way and what did you do to get back in the swing of it? Please, any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, I have so much more to lose and much more to gain, I need to feel "IT" again! Thank you MFP friends!
Denise

Replies

• lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Plan a Vacation or go somewhere Hot that you need to be swim suit ready trust me it keeps u motiovated i booked mexico and i only have 11 weeks left till i have to go

It puts that motivation back into ya!! and it gives you something to work for and a reward all in one~!
  • CWalt2990
    Options
    The motivation definately comes and goes ;o). You are rocking it though...look at far you have come! Do you have anyone that would go walk with you? It helps me to have someone "push" me to get off my duff. Keep your chin up keep on keepin' on! You can do it!
  • boku70
    boku70 Posts: 80
    Options
    I feel your pain. I, too, just crossed the 60 lbs. threshold, and feel like I'm starting to lose my focus. (I've got another 42 to go...)

On food, the best I can say is that hopefully by now you've settled into some good habits. I'm trying to just stick to these habits, and not do too much other thinking about it.

On exercise, I keep luring myself out there by promising myself, "Come on--just 20 minutes, and you don't have to work hard." Then, once I'm out there, I end up doing my thing. (Biking, in my case.)

Just a case of putting one foot in front of the other right now, and hoping the "IT" you talk about comes back.

Good luck. :-)
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Hi Denise,

Whenever I start to get down on myself (for any reason) I try to talk to myself like a best friend would....you know encouraging and understanding.

You've done so great so far, so you've proved that you believe in yourself. You will accomplish all your goals. Really, you can.

Take a nice deep breath and be your friend...What would you tell me if the situation were reversed?
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i second lisy. i have a vacation at the end of june. if i don't shape up now i'll be super embarrassed/have a bad time. if you can afford it, even maybe a cheaper driving vacation to the coast, plan one. it's hard though, and i still have hard days all the time (today's one..fighting off the demons...)
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hey Downtome. I definitely understand how you feel. Set smaller goals. What works for me is to take it truly one day at a time and not worry about tomorrow. If that is too much do one meal at a time. I mean really do that. I used that strategy and was able to complete 13 weeks of P90x after starting it two times before and never finished it. Mind you, those times were from 3 years ago when I was in much better shape. Before you know it will be a month, 2months of doing "the right" thing. Good luck.
  • bethanna91
    Options
    Hi Denise,

Whenever I start to get down on myself (for any reason) I try to talk to myself like a best friend would....you know encouraging and understanding.

You've done so great so far, so you've proved that you believe in yourself. You will accomplish all your goals. Really, you can.

Take a nice deep breath and be your friend...What would you tell me if the situation were reversed?

Awesome advice!!!!
  • mathmastermin
    Options
    You have lost 59 pounds so far. That is amazing & only since November! I just joined MFP last week, but have also had those bad days that got me off track before I joined. I usually don't have the motivation to kick it back into gear. I stray for a few weeks and sometimes it turns into months and then all my progress is lost (never lost anything close to 59 pounds).

YOU ARE DOING GREAT! Don't let a few bad days discourage you from working towards your goal. Think about why you chose to start being healthier, whether it be your own personal health, or for your family. Use those to help motivate you! You can do it!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    59lbs is huge. Maybe you should take a break and work on maintaining for a month. Keep exercising, but be in maintnance mode.

Best wishes. you can do it.
  • JoAnnLeahMurphy
    Options
    Hi Denise,

What a great way to think about it!
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Denise, these are my 2 cents (canadian no less:) worth. When we look down the road and think of all the long way we believe we still have to go (still x amount to lose, etc), it may appear very hard. Instead, you might forget about all that and instead live in the now as in: Today I have a choice: Eat well, make good food choices or let my body be my slave master that pulls me around. Do not worry about tomorrow, if you have to worry, worry about today:). Then when comes to exercise think of your body having all these (by now) much healthier parts that are calling out to you, saying: "Hey please take me out for some exercise, the heart saying: I would like to speed up to day, take me running, whatever.
    Lastly, I myself never think about being on a diet, but rather on a healthy eating adventure. None of us non-smokers would think about ourselves as being on a smoking diet, but simply healthy living.
    Regardless, when all is said and done, be kind to yourself. So, yesterday was a "bad" day. SO what. Today is a brand new day and you are still the master of your universe. You shall prevail.
  • Sweetlux
    Sweetlux Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    59 lbs is AMAZING!!! I know it's hard and the more weight you lose the harder it gets but you also start to see a lot more of the benefits. You'll find your motivation, just plow through this tough time and it will pass :) Try something different like a new routine, class, even a new workout outfit might help!!!!
  • pinklion721
    pinklion721 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I know for myself I have been feeling discouraged. My sophomore year of college I lost 30 lbs. I was 21 so I had a lot more energy and time. I was able to keep most of it off for 7 years but then I got pregnant with my wonderful son! So now I've lost 21 lbs which makes me feel very excited! But im also at the weight I was before my first big weight loss. Thinking about how long it took me back then with so much more free time and energy makes me get very very discouraged now.

I have found for myself that joining in on challenges people have set up on MFP helps keep me motivated! Right now im doing a 30ds challenge and a 3500 cal. Burn a week challenge. These motivate me to get up and start moving!
    I hope this has helped you!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I need motivation that has nothing to do with the scale or weight loss. That's why I've taken up running. I have family & friends who participate in 5k runs, and love joining them. And the better I do, the more fun I have. Plus, even when there's no races, I'm always competing against myself to run faster or longer or over more challenging terrain. I have a few more 5k over the next few weeks, a five mile run after that, the Warrior Dash in June, a 10k in July, who know what else the rest of the summer, and a Zombie Race in October... lots of motivation to stay active!

And when I'm active like that, losing weight is a natural side effect.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your help and concern. I have a trip planned to Disney Land in June so I am looking forward to becoming smaller and not worrying about fitting on the rides this time around! My mom and I usually go walking but she left yesterday for 3 weeks on vacation so I'm on my own for awhile. I ususally do take things one day at a time,makes life a bit easier,that is very good advice! I am going to try and get refocused and not feel that I have to push myself to the extreme with exercise, I'm just going to do what I can do and be happy with that! If I do something, it's better than nothing! Thanks again for the help...I just need to get out of this rut and soon.
  • MarySunshine70
    Options
    Yes! I think set backs & slip-ups are "normal" for me. I'm not someone who can afford a vacation so I have other ideas to help myself: 1) Think of all the victories I've had like members of a cheering crowd telling me I can do it because they are proof that I can... a little silly visualization, but there are times I'll take anything to help. For you there are all those pounds and all those days you stuck to the plan that prove that YES indeed you CAN do it. Give them a voice (like in your head) and listen to that cheering.
    2) Think of your fit plan as a job. It is work - ALL the time. If you have one day or two you don't make it to work... that sure as heck doesn't mean you quit! You don't get that luxury; you wake up, snap out of it and get the heck back to work!
    3) Write down (again) all the things you are going to love about yourself when you reach your goal. This cheers me up a lot. It makes it less of a defeatist attitude and more of an excitement for that day.
    I'm rooting for you!
  • LixxiKitti
    LixxiKitti Posts: 116
    Options
    For me, I have found that being unmotivated is a slippery slope....i have a few days of not working out or eating poorly and then i totally dont feel like working out or eating well...but once I get going again, Im ok...
    SO - I just KICK MYSELF in the *kitten* and DO IT, sometimes it takes a few days to get back into it, but no one is going to make me do it except me, so that's my choice.

thats how i approach it, anyway
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You sounded just like me in your original post, but I haven't lost anything like your massive achievement!

I feel like after yesterday (when honestly I only went about 100 cals over) I'm out of control. I didn't get up to exercise today so I also feel lazy.

But it is a conscious decision to keep it up, isn't it? Everyone is going to feel unmotivated at some stage, and what do they do then? Just keep going, fake it till they make it. Do what you can to get through it and know that as long as you have your eating right, you will get back to the exercise after a couple of days. It takes 3 weeks to lose fitness form, so as long as you get back today or tomorrow you will not have lost any fitness.

*hugs*

GG