how bad are sugary treats?

Options
I remain within my caloric intake suggestion, but I often enter a chocolate treat in there. Does this have any effect on say, losing cellulite or stomach fat or butt fat? What has the main impact: eating healthy clean snacks or just lowering your calories but eating what you like?

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Treats are necessary here and there in my opinion. Sweets aren't my thing, but treats to me are empty calories or junky things. A treat to me is red wine, onion rings, a hunk of double cream brie cheese...for others it may be full calorie sodas, a cookie, or a 100 snack pack of junk food. I make room for those treats in my calorie allotment while making sure most of my calories come from good wholesome healthy foods. I don't indulge every day but certainly several times a week.

Edited to add: you can't target butt fat or thigh fat by changing your diet. Also, cellulite is hereditary.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    if you just lower your calories but just eat what you like you will loose weight - which is good- but odds are you will be hungry and not get all the nutrients you need.

As a guideline I would try to average less than 20% treats.

As advice I would recommend you reprogram your self on what constitutes as a treat... I'm currently hooked on porridge with sultanas and raisins.... its sweet, filling and good for you. I have small boxes of mixed dried fruit (14g each) which are about 40 calories and get me past that 'I want something sweet' moment, and I try and eat dark chocolate when I eat it at all. If yoghurt's is your thing I love the weight watchers layered fromage frais - only 50 cals each.

Good luck
  • hifinm
    hifinm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    A sugary treat isn't going to hinder your weight loss as long as you are staying within your caloric guidelines. check out this link about a professor that went on a twinkie diet.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • sarcastje
    sarcastje Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    oh thank you guys. I checked on the link you have added btw hifinm, and it really helps. It is from a professor at my uni too so that is sorta cool :) It definitely helped x
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I throw in a few snacks here and there. As long as they fit your macros, its okay to indulge occasionally. But remember its better to eat 300 cals of good foods in the long run than to eat 300 cals of junk every time.

I try to let myself enjoy something once a week that I wouldn't eat every day
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If spending a few calories on something junkie keeps you happy and helps you stick to eating healthy the rest of the time, that's calories well spent!

I like to have a peanut butter cup as a post workout snack. Yum.

Edit: In THEORY, I like a PB cup as a post workout snack. In reality, my husband gobbles them before I have a chance. :grumble:
  • sarcastje
    sarcastje Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    yes, i usually restrict the unhealthy treats but I do miss it if i do not eat it. Peanut butter cups are defo delish :)
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    yes, i usually restrict the unhealthy treats but I do miss it if i do not eat it. Peanut butter cups are defo delish :)

is your diary public? if not - make it so and get your friends to hold you to account :)
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    I throw in a few snacks here and there. As long as they fit your macros, its okay to indulge occasionally. But remember its better to eat 300 cals of good foods in the long run than to eat 300 cals of junk every time.

I try to let myself enjoy something once a week that I wouldn't eat every day

IIFYM ^__^
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I find it easier to cut them out. It seems the more I eat sweets, the more I want them. I usually do a sweet treat every couple of days and a really yummy indulgent treat maybe only once per week. I am losing decently, too.
  • ishtar163
    ishtar163 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think that any way of eating that doesn't allow treats sometimes is doomed to fail! Of course, all the other posters made really good points. I try to make my treats more nutrient-dense. I made sugar free chocolate peanut butter fudge balls last night and they are amazing! I melted cream cheese, unsweetened chocolate, peanut butter, vanilla extract, and splenda. Then I rolled it into balls and chilled them. I know the splenda is non-nutritive, but when all the other ingredients are organic and pure, the nutritional profile is pretty impressive! Also, they are absolutely decadent and rich enough that you don't even end up eating too many calories. So I was indulging but experienced no guilt!
  • dmanakho
    dmanakho Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Fats in chocolate are a good for you. Just make sure you eat dark chocolate, not milk chocolate.

You want to consume good fats only.

You still need to stay within the calorie limit, so don't overdue on the chocolate. Otherwise, treat yourself now and then.

Pastries, however, are not so good for you. Especially processed foods from the store shelves. Those you should eat on a special occasion only.
  • Kinnder
    Kinnder Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I indulge in empty calories as a treat, but sometimes I'll "treat" myself to a few extra servings of veggies. A mere 90 calories of yellow turnips is a lot of food, and I like the feeling of treating myself to a lot of extra food (that happens to be healthy)!