Why so many calories?

Options
My doctor is very supportive and has suggested that although I have a lot of weight to lose, that I set reasonable "mini" goals. He suggested a goal of 20 lbs at first because it is doable. So, I set that as my goal and my calories on here are set at over 2000. I'm thinking more along the lines of 1000-1200. Yet, it's telling me that I'm not eating enough everyday.
Do I need to set my goal higher? Or am I really not eating enough? I've only been at it for about a week and will weigh in tomorrow. So, don't know if I've even lost any weight yet even eating the small amounts that I have, which are, again way under what this site is suggesting.
Oh - I also have hypothyroidism and I take synthroid.

Replies

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    The magic number is 1200 that you MUST consume every day to keep your body from starvation mode.
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be eating less than 1200 calories per day, but 2000 calories seems really high! Mine is set to 1450 calories per day and it's been working well for me. :)
  • hamsmash
    hamsmash Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    first question is did you set your goals in the settings section and if you did, it calculates what your maintenance calorie intact to have 0 change is then subratc 500 calories per day of pounds a week you want to lose. the ideal rate being about 2 pounds a week so -1000 so if your maintenance is 3000kcal then your weight loss goal would be 2000 kcal a day.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    You have 242 pounds to lose! NO, DON'T YOU DARE EAT 1000-1200 CALORIES A DAY! ...Sorry.

But, seriously, you'll kill yourself eating that little. Follow MFP's calorie goals. I promise you it'll work. I promise, promise, promise. When you have that much weight to lose, the same 1200 calorie minimum does not apply. In fact, I think 2000 seems a bit low for you. Are you sure you've entered everything correctly?
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    MFP will not calculate lower then 1200. Most people need that or more just so their body can function.
  • kittycat613
    kittycat613 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I myself actually have quite a bit to lose (245 lbs) and my calories a day are 2600 per MyFitnessPal. I've been following that and I've averaged between 1.5 and 2 lbs lost a week. I'm down 16 lbs, so it's working. :)

So I would definitely advise you to follow what MyFitnessPal has calculated. It will work, I promise.
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Follow what your doctor said. Calories are not a blanket number, everyone needs a different number.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I myself actually have quite a bit to lose (245 lbs) and my calories a day are 2600 per MyFitnessPal. I've been following that and I've averaged between 1.5 and 2 lbs lost a week. I'm down 16 lbs, so it's working. :)

So I would definitely advise you to follow what MyFitnessPal has calculated. It will work, I promise.

Whew. Finally. Someone else who took the time to check out her profile before giving out some bad advice.
  • frenchystamps
    frenchystamps Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. This is the first time I've ever not just tried to "go it alone". I've always just followed diets that are supposed to be for anyone.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. This is the first time I've ever not just tried to "go it alone". I've always just followed diets that are supposed to be for anyone.

The high calories are indicated because your body will shut down if you suddenly deprive it. However, you may want to talk to the doctor treating your thyroid to see if they have any advice.