Protein powder

Options
I'm looking to add a protein shake into my diet daily, but I'm clueless as to what the differmece is between the 1000 different types on the shelves! I want something that I can use to make shakes with before workouts or after workouts! Thanks for your help!!

Replies

• WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    So many choices - so many reviews on Amazon!

Depends on what you're looking for and what you want to mix it with.

I have an unflavored powder (BioPlex Natural Pure WPI) WPI= whey protein isolate - it has NO additives and NO sweetners. It only tastes good mixed with something sweet like homemade carrot/apple juice or blended with milk, strawberries, blueberries. Of course you could add your OWN sugar and control the amount to your likeness.

I also have a chocolate flavored and vanilla flavored powder made by Biochem Sports. Which uses Stevia as a sweetner.

Both are whey protein isolate powders (recommended for quick recovery after a workout).

Check out the reviews on Amazon.com on those two brands after my MANY HOURS of research these are the two brands I like best!
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    Optimum nutrition 100% whey FTW. good, natural protein with no additives.
  • liyahxoxo
    liyahxoxo Posts: 78
    Options
    I heard that hemp seed protein is the best though I don't use it cus I have hemp sensitivities.
    I use whey protein powder which is considered very good too.
    a nutritionist once told me that brown rice protein powder and soy protein powder are not as good as hemp or whey. don't know if she is right or not... she also told me not to eat oatmeal and fruits, she was a bit :huh: lol.. but yuh anyways, I love whey.
    Good luck!:)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Overwhelming isn't it? There are different types of protein: whey, casein, soy, pea, hemp, and others. The most common ones in the fitness community are whey and casein. Let's just focus on whey to narrow the discussion. In the "whey protein" category you will find mainly 2 types of products: protein powder and meal replacements. The main difference is that the meal replacements contain significant carbs, whereas the straight protein powder contains little or no carbs. They have different uses. With straight protein, you can mix up your own concoction with fruits or what have you, to make your own "meal replacements", or you can take 1 or 2 scoops of the protein on its own to supplement a low-protein meal, or if you just want to take in a shot of protein. The off-the-shelf meal replacements are more of convenience factor. Usually just mix with water and viola, you got a quick cheap meal for when you're on the go, at work, or after a workout.

So that's a quick a narrow overview. Even narrowing it down like that, there are still a zillion products on the market, so how do you choose? Well, look at the labels very carefully. You may have specific requirements as far as whether or not you want sugar, whether or not you want artificial flavors or sweeteners, exactly how many carbs you're looking for, and that sort of thing. After that, it comes down to flavor and cost.

Narrow down your requirements, and take it from there.

In the past I've used:
    * Myoplex, chocolate (a meal replacement w/ 42g protein and 23g carbs). Tastes great. Contains sucralose and acemulfame-k
    * EAS 100% Whey, chocolate. 23g protein per scoop. Tastes pretty good. Contains sucralose and acemulfame-k
    * Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey 24g protein per scoop. Taste pretty good. More expensive than EAS, not sure if it's worth it. Also contains the acemulfame-k

Most recently, I've purchased Optimum Nutrition Natural 100% Whey (no artificial sweetener; contains stevia instead) - tastes good and worth it as far as being an all natural alternative. And I also bought Optimum Nutrition Natural "Oats & Whey", which is more of a meal replacement type. Also tastes good and it's sweetened with dried honey and sugar, so again worth it in the sense that it's all natural.

Everyone has different taste buds and different nutrition / sweetener requirements, so just narrow down your needs, and start sampling products till you find one that works for you.

Good luck!
  • mollie6986
    mollie6986 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thank you for aLl your help everyone!! I will be checking out all of your suggestions!!!

Taso42 thanks for the overview!! Now it makes a little more seems to me!!! ;)
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    bump to save. thanks, Taso!
  • Chartrand11
    Options
    Optimum Whey 100% is what you are looking for.
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    I heard that hemp seed protein is the best though I don't use it cus I have hemp sensitivities.
    I use whey protein powder which is considered very good too.
    a nutritionist once told me that brown rice protein powder and soy protein powder are not as good as hemp or whey. don't know if she is right or not... she also told me not to eat oatmeal and fruits, she was a bit :huh: lol.. but yuh anyways, I love whey.
    Good luck!:)

Only if you're a vegan. Whey and casein. Casein for slow-digesting times like at breakfast, before bed and in between meals. Whey is that quick shot so you want it right after you work out.

The majority of the protein in your nutrition plan should consist of food proteins, though. It's ok to supplement with protein powders, but you can't use that as a sole source or you won't get the same results.