Is subway bad?

Options
I don't choose any of the fatty things..
I get a footlong on wheat turkey breast with pepperjack cheese lettuce tomatoes spinach mustard chipotle southwest sauce and pepper. If there's any suggestions please share

Replies

• Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    It's the bread that can be bad. The meat and cheese and toppings alone aren't too terrible, but so much bread is bad for you. Carbs=sugar=fat
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    the sodium in lunch meat is a killer!!
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My problem with subway is the sheer amount of bread per sandwich. I'd still choose it over mcdonalds though. I get double turkey to increase protien and bring my own "chips."
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I would say no cheez no sauce
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    My advice: nix the sauce. Get it with vinegar, pepper, and oregano instead. The bread isn't fantastic... it has HFCS and even the wheat has almost no fiber.

My friend used to work at subway. He advises against eating it.

I eat there with my mother sometimes. We get 6 inch subs. I usually go for the turkey or meatball, with most of the veggie options and oregano.
  • ColeyCannoli
    Options
    What Natalie said and watch out for the oils and other condiments they add on. Grab a small when you can and ask for a bit less sauces or less cheese. As long as you don't go over your limit there's nothing wrong with eating Subway.
  • tinovr
    tinovr Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think Subway is one of the few places where it's easier to make good choices. The placards on the case really help...

cut it to 6 inches, drop the cheese, and substitute the honey mustard for the chipotle sauce and you get a better sandwich. probably just around 300 cal.

See their nutritional info
    http://www.subway.com/applications/NutritionInfo/index.aspx
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    The sodium in their food is a killer. Check their website, they have their nutritional info there.
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I used to go there and my husband and I would share one their "healthy sandwich option" wraps. So we'd get this amazingly delicious wrap with meat, cheese, and all the veggies, and I'd only have eaten around 300 calories. So while Subway CAN be bad... if you choose wisely you won't do yourself any harm. :)
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    it can be, the only way I will eat subway is a 6 inch with no cheese or mayo or creamy sauces / condiments (except mustard), sodium in the meat is high as others have said
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I have started getting subway after my workouts for dinner because it is a lot healthier than other fast food places. I always chose a sub that "has a 6 by it" as I tell my son. We get plain italian bread with lettuce, tomato, cucmbers, lots of pickles, and only one strip of ranch dressing. Water to drink and if I am feeling special some baked chips ;)
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    The bread!!!! So good but too much and too many carbs for you....maybe not a footlong but a 6 inch:)) Better to choose subway than McDonalds or Burger King so wtg!!!
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    A footlong I would say is too much. I've never eaten a footlong in my life. As far as toppings I usually get the turkey on wheat with light mayo, lettuce, tomato, pickles, onions and vinegar (no oil). Load up on the veggies. No cheese also
    Also, get baked chips or sun chips or eat it with Special K chips. If you're still not satisfied eat some fruit also. Just don't get footlong lol.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    The sauce probably isn't great for you. Try getting the flat bread as well. It has less carbs than even the whole grain bread
  • JCR1984
    JCR1984 Posts: 4
    Options
    Ditch the top half the roll and load up on veggies! If your eating a 12" roll you'll save a lot of calories by only eating half the roll. Check out stats on the subway website. Best of luck meeting your goal :)
  • cjbnc
    cjbnc Posts: 32
    Options
    6in turkey on wheat = 280 (210 from the bread)
    pepperjack cheese = 50 cals
    chipotle sw sauce = 100 cals (90 from fat!)

so you have 430cals for each 6in half, or 860cals for the whole footlong.

loose the chipotle sauce, it is all fat. try to cut back to just a 6in and get the apple slices (or better yet, bring an apple!)

My subway lunch is 6in turkey on wheat, I do get the cheese, veggies, pepper relish, vinegar, and spices. Roughly 330 cals. Plus 80 for a medium apple from home.
  • posbey
    posbey Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i agree the sodium is a killer and the main reason i refuse to buy their food. i can make fresh meals at home. Because of my HBP i cannot knowingly put that in my system. Good luck with the salads. Maybe those might be better than the sandwiches.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    go for a 6 inch next time. yes, it's heavy on the sodium and I certainly wouldn't recommend eating there often, but if you watch your portion sizes and maybe even cut out the cheese and some of the sauces, it's way better than a lot of other fast food choices.
  • rjnandjosh
    rjnandjosh Posts: 168
    Options
    get your favorite in a salad sometimes and sometimes the bread six inch preferred :embarassed:
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    The sodium in their food is a killer. Check their website, they have their nutritional info there.

their website is ridiculously hard to get around... you can look there or i looked at calorieking.com. i tired subways site but it was almost like they didn't want me to know the nutritional content of their bread it was so hard to find lol