Have plateaued with 3.3 lbs to go :-(

Options
To date I've lost 13 lbs, 9 lbs of it since joining MFP.

I've got 3.3 lbs to go to get to my goal weight (55kg) but I seem to have hit a plateau.

I'm after suggestions and advice. I have increased my fibre a lot in the last week (in part to deal with side effects of some medication I'm on, if you get my drift). I am unable to mix up or vary my exercise because of a severe back injury (which is what the tablets relate to) so I am pretty much limited to walking and some stuff on the Wii Fit (which is so frustrating since I use to run upwards of 30 miles per week).

I've made my diary public so anyone that has time or the interest can view it. You'll notice that prior to this week the second half of the day is blank - this is purely because I changed my settings so rather than 'snacks' I have 'morning snack', 'afternoon snack' and 'supper' - it certainly isn't because I don't eat after lunch :-)

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    lower your cals, up your workout..perhaps take a fat burner like lipo 6 hers. why can you just walk? can you not jog?
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough! If your diary is correct you aren't eating enough calories. As you get closer to your goal you should be working towards your maintenance calories not keep your calories so low.
  • mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Nice ticker, have two of em. greyhounds! lol
  • katemarjoram
    Options
    xraychic I can't jog because I have a severe thoracic spine injury and am waiting to undergo surgery. Only a few months back I struggled to even walk some days and couldn't even do up my own shoelaces.

It is super frustrating for me because I have always been the same weight and superfit but because of the injury and medication I have put on weight and I'm now working really hard to try and get that weight off within the physical limitations which are beyond my control.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I agree most days you aren't eating enough. You ate almost 1500 calories today that is a good goal around 1500 calories, and if you can't varry the exercise try more walking, squats aren't to bad on the back either and will help to build leg muscle which will burn more fat. Increase your water as well.
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    A few days ago, someone mentioned "calorie zigzagging" as a way to get over a plateau, but I can't find the link to it.
  • SunshineRowe
    Options
    just go extreme do something you don't think you can.... like cut out sugar, or switch to only complex carbs
    I find that I finally reached my goal only when I went extreme and just overcame some of those cravings that had me stuck
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    lower your cals, up your workout..perhaps take a fat burner like lipo 6 hers. why can you just walk? can you not jog?

no --

since you are limited in your exercise area, I would try to maintain the weight you are at for just a little bit longer, to kind of re-set your weight point. The problem stems from the difference between the calorie level you need to lose and the calorie level you need to maintain. As we get closer to our goal weight the difference becomes so slight that it's tough. Being as you have some health issues, your body might also have it's own idea of what you should weigh. I mean 3.3 lbs - i fluctuate more than that during the day sometimes. I would change my mindset and accept the weight you are at now and refocus on gaining more fitness to help your back get better and maintain the new weight you are at. I bet it would slide off slowly, but slide off none the less. Don't eat less and workout more --- that will force your body to chip away at your muscle mass to fuel itself and with your back injury, you can't afford that, plus muscle burns more fat than our fat cells, so we want as much muscle as possible :)

Listen to these podcasts, they have a ton of info on this subject:
    Cutthefatpodcast.com
    Fat2FitRadio.com
  • amysambora
    amysambora Posts: 219
    Options
    I am in a very similar situation to you, I was stuck at 61.5kg for nearly three months! Finally a couple of weeks ago I dropped to 60.6kg and I did it through eating more. Looking at your diary, you are definitely not eating enough! If you still have your goals set to lose 2lb a week, drop it right away to 1lb per week! 2lbs per week is way too much for someone with not much fat to lose, which is probably why you've plateaued. The same thing happened to me. As soon as I got to a healthy BMI my body said "No more!" and simply decided to hold onto the fat I have left. It wasn't until I upped my calories for a few weeks that I started losing again. Your body needs to know it's OK to let go of that fat - right now it has probably adapted to the lower intake and is holding on for dear life.

It's hard to get used to at first. Make sure you're eating 'good' calories and not using it as an excuse to slip back into old habits. Your food diary looks pretty good to me, keep it up and maybe start having bigger snacks or bigger portion sizes at main meals.
  • katemarjoram
    Options
    Thanks for your understanding liscar. You are right I might just have to accept that this is my body's way of saying enough. I intend to keep eating healthily and exercising (as much as I can) and hopefully I will lose that last little bit. It is just so frustrating being so near but so far.

Amy you are right I might just need to increase my calories slightly by having an extra snack or a slightly larger portion, especially since I am trying so desperately to have at least 30 grams fibre a day, 35 if possible.