Anxiety Attack Help!

Options
Ever since I was 11 or 12 (whenever TOM started) I have had anxiety attacks randomly. The only thing that I have found that helps them is exersice (took me a few years to figure that out)....I haven't done any exercise in like two weeks and guess what? All day I have been feeling one coming on. Unfortunately I didn't think of taking a walk until it was to late. I also have to go babysit in the morning. So no time until tomorrow afternoon. I cannot live that long with this! So if anyone has any ideas on how to get rid of it quickly (without having to go to the store) I would be very grateful! I tried figuring out what I was worried about but it must be hidden because I can't figure it out this time....

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    HUGS!

Can you take the child/ren you are babysitting out for a walk?
  • arw3b3
    arw3b3 Posts: 52
    Options
    are you able to work out at home right now??? If not maybe some herbal tea or deep relaxation breathing???

goog luck!!
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Wonder if you are picking up the anxiety of those around you? I'm big into deep breathing exercises - meditation - yoga - meditative music - hypnotic CD's - writing - get color out and start playing with it - beat a pillow - get creative -

know that this too shall pass....
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    That sounds rough...maybe some jumping jacks, running in place, stretching, something to get your body moving? Hope you feel better!
  • summerx275
    Options
    lay down, close your eyes, and take deep breaths through your nose, hold it for 5 seconds, and exhale very slowly through your mouth. Do this for 5-10 minutes and it will help you feel more relaxed. Good luck.
  • rjnandjosh
    rjnandjosh Posts: 168
    Options
    I always used soft classical music to help calm down and when you can get a tai chi video it does wonders and even helps them not recur so often. I have had them for over thirteen years so I understand. You are in my prayers:flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    I used to suffer anxiety attacks. As others have suggested, breathing exercises help. Slow, long, deep breaths.

Breathe in using your abdomen to the count of 4 (one thousand, two thousand etc.) Hold for the count of four, breathe out to the count of four. Exercise, smoking, yoga, all regulate breathing.

Hyperventilation or skip-breathing both increase anxiety due to the effects of carbon dioxide.
  • delilah514
    delilah514 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I used to get anxiety attacks very often & exercise helped with them. Still to this day I have to keep up with my exercise to keep them in control. If you can't get in a quick walk this evening try some deep breathing techniques. Make sure you breath all the way into your stomach. Place your hand on it and breath slowly in and feel the air rise in as you count to 5. Then slowly exhale for another 5 count. That one always helps me when I am on edge. Also try some relaxation CD's if you have any. Those help as well. I hope it passes for you quickly. I know how it can feel. :flowerforyou:
  • cucoyannie
    Options
    they say if you breathe into a bag that helps you calm down
    try waliking inside your own house
    try readin
    take a long warm shower
    and this last may sound corny but: pray
    good luck
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    deep breathing!!! and look up some guided meditation on the web!

try doing some quick cardio around the house if you know exercise helps--- run in place while watching tv, do some jumping jacks...whatever
  • jenfur74
    jenfur74 Posts: 3
    Options
    I have suffered with anxiety over the past 12 months, beside the many long term methods to reduce it, I find a quick way to get rid of the symptoms quickly is to breath into a brown paper bag. This reduces the carbon dioxide in your blood, and i found it quickly reduces the feelings of panic, diziness and general feeling of doom.
    Hope you are doing ok.
    Jenny
  • girlofsun26
    girlofsun26 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I know what you are going through! I have them all the time when I don't move..When you get that first itch of omg its coming..get up and jump up and down..MOVE! Do anything to get those endorphins moving..When I get into a full blown attack I Jump up and Down or I start to clean like a mad woman! Do anything!! Just move and in a short period of time you will start to feel a lot better.
  • Rebjones612
    Rebjones612 Posts: 408
    Options
    I am right there with you. I was diagnosed two years ago with anxiety attacks. I know they are NOT fun at all.
    My dr explained to me that some peoples attacks are triggered by something however mine are not, they just come from out of no
    where. Sometimes they even wake me up at night. I finally had to taking medicine to keep them under control.
    I do feel that exercising has helped as well.
    I hope you get to feeling better cause I know how you feel.
    If you want you can add me as a friend! :bigsmile:
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I have suffered with anxiety over the past 12 months, beside the many long term methods to reduce it, I find a quick way to get rid of the symptoms quickly is to breath into a brown paper bag. This reduces the carbon dioxide in your blood, and i found it quickly reduces the feelings of panic, diziness and general feeling of doom.
    Hope you are doing ok.
    Jenny

it doesnt reduce the CO2 in your blood...youre rebreathing the CO2 so it therefore INCREASES your CO2... when you hyperventilate you blow off too MUCH CO2 which is why people say to blow into a paperbag because you are breathing back in your CO@ you blow out....because as we all know-- you breathe in O2 and breathe out CO2....
    but you are right that breathing into a bag CAN reduce anxiety.
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Anna this is interesting to me because I am in training to become a counseling psychologist and normally having an elevated heart rate (like if you were working out) actually makes panic/anxiety attacks worse.

I would say do whatever you can to make you feel the most like you are exercising, if you are not able to actually do so at the time. Sometimes blowing through a straw helps. (I know that sounds crazy!)
  • WWE_chick
    WWE_chick Posts: 86
    Options
    I suffer from anxiety attacks and if I can before it gets to a full blown attack I just take some alone time. I put my ipod in and sit and breathe. I try to clear my mind. That's not as helpful as exercise but sometimes it does help.......or someone mentioned yoga. If you have a yoga dvd pop that in
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Back to the CO2.

1.) The buildup of CO2 increases anxiety. This is a physical biochemical response. As stated, regular breathing - including full exhalation - is the key to offgassing CO2.

2.) Hyperventilating, on the other hand, causes you to breathe too quickly and become light-headed due to insufficient CO2.

3.) Taking small, shallow breaths also does not allow you to reduce the CO2 in your system, causing anxious feelings.

4.) Many people hold their breath (skip-breathing) when they become stressed. This prevents complete exhalation of CO2. This occurs during sleep, as well. It can lead to the person waking up in a state of anxiety.

It's all in the reptilian brain. . . This is complicated. . .it's partially the Flight or Fight, Fear response. In part: if you think of a bunny or a deer in the headlights, you know that they freeze when first frightened. Before they run. When they freeze, they also hold their breath for a few seconds. I swear bunnies think if they don't move, we can't see them. Which is true to a degree. A predator will strike at movement - it's all hard wired into their brain. Just try to move your hand away from your pet cat too quickly and see her pounce/strike!

We evolved as prey. Pretend a burglar breaks into your house. Wouldn't you naturally hide and be very quiet, even covering your mouth to stifle loud breathing? That response is effective when gearing up to fight or run. The CO2 will cause anxiety, then stress hormones and adrenaline release.

Okay, I'll stop.....now I'm getting too technical for me.....:laugh:

Breathing is good. In....Out.....