Weigh-ins and Water

Just hoping some people could help me with a few questions.

How often should I be stepping on a scale? I try not to weigh myself too often, but sometimes I can't help. Should I weigh myself in the morning or the afternoon? I get the feeling I should pick one or the other, because my after dinner weight is pretty different from my pre-breakfast weight.

I was also wondering how people remind themselves to drink enough water. I'm only having 4-5 glasses a day, I'm exercising, but I'm still not remembering to have enough.

Replies

• I weigh myself once a week, same time of day. I don't have a scale at home so i do it each Wed before I work out at they gym. I carry a 32 oz. mug of water with me EVERYWHERE and it has a straw, which helps me to drink more.
  • Christie81
    Christie81 Posts: 88 Member
    I weigh in once a week same day and time. For me, it's Wednesday mornings before breakfast...well it's pretty much right after I get out of bed and use the restroom. :)
  • Hampper
    Hampper Posts: 1
    I weigh daily same time every day . I fill a gallon bottle every day and I finish drinking it by 8pm
  • Dmatkin
    Dmatkin Posts: 8
    Hey, Alex. I too can't avoid the scale. I do know that it will flucuate from day to day, but I just can't help stepping on it every morning. You should weigh yourself first thing in the morning once a week. If you do it more, just keep in mind that the fluctuation may be very large. Up to a pound or so either way.

I can weigh up to three pounds less in the morning than I did the night before. I try not to let it get to me though. I really stick to the once a week as my guide.

I have a hard time drinking my water too. I am following the eat clean diet, and her suggestion is to drink 2 glasses of water with every meal. That way, you can't not drink enough. Also keep in mind, that by the time you get thirsty, you are already dehydrated.

Did that help?
  • amandabrady
    amandabrady Posts: 203 Member
    I usually weigh myself about once a week or even once every other week. I do mornings when i first get up, right after i use the restroom and before I eat or drink anything. It doesn't really matter if you chose morning or evening as long as you chose the same one every single time. I like mornings because I haven't drank tons of water yet for the day. As for the water, I set out two 32 oz containers full and keep one by my side at all times. Take them with you as a reminder that they have to be empty by the end of the day. I've recently upped my water intake so now I shoot for 3 of those per day. The visual reminder of seeing how much I need to drink keeps me going. Hope that helps, good luck =)
  • tmarie1213
    tmarie1213 Posts: 43 Member
    The best time of day to weigh in is in the morning, after urination and/or defecation, before you eat breakfast. This will be your most accurate weight. Also, I weigh in once a week, on Fridays. Most people on this site also recommend to weigh in once a week. Too often and you will end up discouraged because the scale won't move every single day.

As for water, I take a Nalgene water bottle with me and that makes it easier for me to get my water in for the day. I try to drink at least 8 glasses of water a day, each 8oz, so 2 full Nalgene bottles a day. Recommended water intake also depends on your body weight as well.
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    I wish I didn't have a scale at home. I guess I'm just going to put it in the cabinet until the end of the week.
  • My mom always told me its better to weigh yourself first thing in the morning...after going potty b/c the pull of gravity gets stronger as it gets later in the day. Idk if that's true or not, but I've stuck to it.
  • mara232
    mara232 Posts: 93 Member
    I step on the scale every am as soon as I get up. I strip off my clothes. i weigh in only 1x a week - saturday am. Works best for me. As for water, I drink a lot. Maybe 10 glasses a day. But I only drink water. I make sure I drink 2 glasses right after I weigh myself before I start making breakfast for me and my son and packing lunches. I find it gets my metabolism revved. In Tosca Reno's Clean Diet book she recommends you do that so I so.

Good Luck!
  • alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Thank you so much, to everyone for the help. Definitely going to get a big reusable water bottle.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    I officially "weigh in" once a week or once every two weeks either saturday or sunday. As mentioned, get up, go potty then get on the scale with as little clothing as you can. Time shouldn't really matter, so long as it's consistently after you get up and go potty. I might step on the scale one or two times during the week with clothing but mostly it's because I feel off and want to see where my weight is. I never log that as an official weight because depending on what I ate, sodium could be up which equals water retention, fiber could be down which equals constipation, I could have just eaten dinner, etc. It's just a guide to see how different weights feel and to see if something is way off that I wasn't expecting.

If you're working out regularly, you can expect to possibly gain a few pounds at first in muscle while losing inches so don't rely on the scale as your only measurement of success. I only wish I had a tape measure and some help when I started to get my measurements. I know I've lost a good 3-4 inches off my waist just by how my pants fit and all my bras are now too big :(
  • once aweek is best, if you do it daily or say every 2 or 3 days its no good as your weight will yo yo throughout the week so midweek you mite be weighing a pound or 2 heavier than your last weigh in and this can be dis-heartening were as if you do it once every 7 days first thing in the morning it will show you your loss :)

5800340.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • 145Karen
    145Karen Posts: 80 Member
    I have big issues with water weight I weigh every morning but I know I should not I had a bad day today but lots of support here tomorrow will be better. and I think I will stay off the scale for a few days. I drink 8 to 12 glasses a day.Good luck to you send me a friend request looks like we are on the right track :drinker:
  • OBXGal
    OBXGal Posts: 113 Member
    I weigh myself daily, every morning after waking up and going to the bathroom, but log my weight weekly. I find that it helps me gauge if I ate too much/the wrong things, or didn't drink enough water the day prior. However, this morning it backfired on me. I weighed 1.4 lbs more today after eating under my goal yesterday. I know this will happen, so I don't beat myself up when it does, as long as I'm down for the week, that's all that matters :)
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    To make sure that I drink water, I have a camelback water bottle that has a straw rather than a wide mouth or a regular "pop up" top and I carry it with me everywhere I go. It is 24 ozs, so basically drink one bottle and you have 3 glasses of water drank. I have found that if I have it with me all the time, I have no problem drinking 3 bottles full pretty much every day.

As far as weighing myself, I usually weigh myself in the morning at approximately the same time, on the same scale. I hope that helps!