A Word About Sugar

Options
audjrey
audjrey Posts: 360 Member
Carbohydrates are the fuel of life providing half of all energy used by muscles, nerves and bodily tissues. Carbohydrates are brain food. In fact, carbohydrates are the only food source for the brain and red blood cells. In order to function properly the brain requires a steady stream of simple sugar (glucose) which comes from carbohydrates. Without sufficient carbohydrates thinking becomes foggy, the body feels heavy, the mind grows tired and all you want to do is eat. Naturally occurring carbohydrates are found almost exclusively in plant foods, like fruits, vegetables, sprouts, whole grains, beans and lentils and should provide the basic structure of all vegan and vegetarian diets. Teens and adults require a minimum of 130 grams or 60-75% of total daily carbohydrate calories. However, according to "Exercise for Your Muscle Type" by Michelle Lovitt and John Speraw, these values change with the various types of exercises you do.

For example, someone desiring to become faster and stronger and who engages in moderate aerobic activity would aim for approximately 5-6 grams of carbohydrates per kilogram of body weight, while those seeking leaner bodies through sustained muscle endurance activities would require approximately 8-10 grams of carbohydrates per kilogram of body weight. An individual seeking to become faster, leaner and stronger, who also engages in higher levels of aerobic activity would require approximately 6 grams of carbohydrates per kilogram of body weight. Body builders seeking to build extensive muscle mass and enhance muscle definition, on average require 6-7 grams of carbohydrates per kilogram of body weight. The exception to all these rules is when aerobic activity exceeds one hour each day. When aerobic activity exceeds more than one hour each day the body requires 8-10 grams of carbohydrates per kilogram of body weight.

In the world of carbohydrates there are three distinct types: simple sugars, starches and fiber.

Simple Sugars
Simple sugars are the body's fastest source of fuel, meaning they enter the blood stream rapidly are most readily assimilated by muscle. Simple sugars include; glucose, fructose, lactose, sucrose and maltose. Glucose is also called dextrose and blood sugar. Fructose occurs naturally in honey, fruit and corn syrup. Lactose is milk sugar. Sucrose is regular table salt that comes from cane. And maltose is malt sugar. These five simple sugars provide that sickly sweet taste most North Americans have come to love in our junk foods and beverages and are partly responsible for elevated blood sugar levels, obesity and diabetes when consumed in excess. On average North Americans consume between 16 and 20 teaspoons of sugar daily. The World Health Organization recommends a 10% limit on our total daily intake. Here in Canada a Wendy's Biggie soda contains almost 14 teaspoons of sugar. A 7-Eleven Super Big Gulp offer 50 teaspoons of sugar. With numbers like that it's easy to understand why so many young teens and adults are becoming obese and at risk of diabetes, stroke and heart attack.

Unused excess sugar is stored as fat. On average the human adult body requires a minimum of 1,200 calories each day just to survive. Survival includes all internal bodily functions such as thinking, talking, breathing, muscular movement that supports sitting, standing and lying down, eating and digestion, urination and excretion, and immunity among other things. Additional energy is needed during strenuous physical activity and exercise. However, when energy intake exceeds energy expenditure the excess intake is stored first in muscles and the liver and then as excess fat around vital organs.

To help reduce excess sugar in your diet, avoid sodas, energy drinks and bottled fruit cocktail beverages and consume clear water, diluted 100% real fruit juices, and unsweetened herbal teas instead.

For sports enthusiast and teens living very active lives, the best time to consume simple sugars is immediately before or after strenuous activity that lasts more than an hour, when you most need a quick rush of energy, preferably in small doses and in its most natural form. For example, eat citrus fruits like an orange after an intense workout to help stabilize blood glucose and electrolytes instead of protein shakes, chocolate bars, fruit cocktail or a soda.

The best sources of simple sugars are fresh raw fruits.

Starches
Starches are one of three complex carbohydrates that are comprised of a chain of two or more simple sugars. Starches are digested slowly and provide slow steady and sustainable energy as opposed to quick energy spikes. The best sources of complex carbohydrates including starches are root vegetables and herbs including potatoes, beets, carrots, parsnips, burdock, dandelion, ginseng and ginger root, whole grains, sprouted whole grains, corn, beans, and lentils.

Fiber
Fiber is the structural membranes of fruits, grains, legumes and vegetables that cannot be broken down by digestive enzymes in our stomachs. It is not until undigested fiber enters the large intestines that it begins to break down through a process known as fermenting. When fiber ferments, it produces warm gases that results in flatulence. Fiber binds with cholesterol and bodily toxins and acts like a broom that cleans the digestive tract of potentially harmful matter. The best sources of fiber include fresh raw fruits and vegetables, sprouted whole grains, whole grains, beans and lentils.

NB: This article was taken from my vegan website (www.onestopveganhealthshop.com) with the exception of the inclusion of the information on Exercise for Your Muscle Type, which I added exclusively for the purpose of posting this article on My Fitness Pal.

Replies

• bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post.
    I see a lot of people freaking out about sugar. I've tried to explain to people that if it fits into your macro goals, you're fine.

Lots of athletes take sugar after working out.
    I take powerade powder before and after running, It's got sugar. But it works.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    bump--for furture reference :)
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    talk to some diabetics...there are more and more people diagnosed with diabetes daily...

SUGAR IS THE DEVIL FOR A DIABETIC...

do more research...your body does not need the sugars you are talking about...

im 58 years old and have done extensive research....

please dont be closed minded about it.....

your body needs some carbs in the form of natural sugars but not as much as you seem to think..

just an opinion.....when I eat carbs or sugar type foods, my blood sugar numbers skyrocket..

when i eat good lean protein and yes good fats( not grease lard bacon processed fat saturated fats) my blood sugar numbers go to the normal range..
    i was diagnosed as a diabetic in Jan of 2005..

its been a fight ever since..

Bill
  • Jillk1023
    Jillk1023 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing
  • audjrey
    Options
    @ bmontgomery - thanks!

@ Bill - The World Health Organization recommends a 10% limit on our total daily intake. It's a quote from 'extensive research'.

Of course this does not apply to diabetics. I don't recall ever mentioning that. But you are quite right - sugar can be life-threatening to diabetics. Didn't think I was being closed-minded. Personally I thought I clearly stated the warnings and offered healthy alternatives. Not sure what you're seeing that I'm not (?).
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    25.8 million people in the US have diabetes
    79 million have prediabetes
    from National Diabetes Fact Sheet, 2011

thats a large demographic to include in your post..

I didnt mean to be rude but that really was a loooooooong post and I must have not read the part where you said you wern't talking about diabetics...

you are very passionate about your life and lifestyle ...
    I am just as passionate about mine....

huh...two strong willed people...

my apologies if I seemed rude

this is a great web site for all of us to express our feelings....

have a great one
  • audjrey
    Options
    Bill - great point and well noted about the US diabetic population. probably should have mentioned my stats (and website content) is predominantly Canadian based info - hey what can I say - I'm Canadian and I'm long-winded lol!.

No hard feelings :-)
  • goohan
    goohan Posts: 155
    Options
    what about pre-diabetics? what do they do with sugar? because 2 people in my family have diabeties and I was going the same way and I was getting many symptons of becoming diabetic.
  • Azuleelan
    Azuleelan Posts: 218
    Options
    60% to 75% carb calories?? That's just not true. Carbs are good for you, but that percentage is way too high and makes it very easy to crash. If your carb calori intake is that high, you are basically overlooking protein and fat. I dare you to survive without those two.

Ridiculous.
  • goohan
    goohan Posts: 155
    Options
    bump...

lol I'm still trying to work out what pre diabetics do with sugar lol
  • sutterbay
    Options
    So, in reviewing my stats for the past 2 weeks, the majority (60-70%) of my sugars come from my milk/dairy intake. It puts me over my recommended sugar intake, but I've always tolerated dairy well and prefer to have my calcium intake from food, not supplements. Not sure if this is bad for me, but all of my life I have only had water or milk to drink....thank goodness I hated "bubbles up my nose" so have never done sodas.