Petrified of failing....again....

Options
Daysea13
Daysea13 Posts: 21 Member
Hello Everyone!

I just joined Myfitnesspal & am hoping this will be the support I need to succeed. I have been navigating the site for the past hour & am thoroughly impressed with all the information & support.

In the past, I have always tried to lose weight on my own & it has never worked for me. There is always an excuse to quit or fall of the wagon. I always feel like a failure. Now, I'm afraid to try because I don't want to fail again.

My plan is to start this new journey tomorrow with logging all my food, beginning to exercise & blogging about my days. I do have multiple health issues, which has always been an excuse to avoid exercising. I'm sure many others have had the same struggles, which I look forward to reading about how they overcome them.

I do not have a scale (plan on purchasing one tomorrow) but estimate my starting weight is 250. I am 5'10 & my goal weight is 175.

Wish me luck & I'm sure I will be talking with many of you over the next few weeks...if I can just get over the fear of starting the process...

Replies

• alexbowser
    alexbowser Posts: 322
    Options
    Getting over that fear can be really hard. I get myself so overwhelmed sometimes, wondering if I can do this, see it through to the end. But joining this site is a step in the right direction. I've only been on for a few weeks and I already feel better about my progress than with anything I've tried before.

Good Luck :) (of course)
  • tweety170
    tweety170 Posts: 167
    Options
    I think you need a good support network. If you can't get that from friends/family...get it from the good people here. We are all going through a similar journey and can offer words of encouragement or advice when you need it. :) Good luck and welcome!
  • changing_my_life_now
    Options
    Daysea35 -
    I am new to this site as well. Just joined within the hour. I am afraid to fail too, but I also know that I have to lose this weight. I am heavier than I have ever been in my life and I hate the way I look and the way I feel. I know I need to start exercising and taking care of myself. But there is always some reason as to why I shouldn't exercise today....
    I wish you luck with your journey. I look forward to hearing your stories.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Good luck! One thing I can suggest is to focus on what you CAN do and get it done. Don't even think or talk about what you can't do. Instead of being afraid of failing - think about (and shout it) how you ARE going to succeed. You can do it!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Welcome! This site is a great place to be when you need some support and motivation! Good luck with your weight loss goals! And, feel free to add me as a friend if you would like.
  • msmiriam
    msmiriam Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY how you feel. I actually blogged about this very thing a few nights ago: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/msmiriam/view/my-tragic-flaw-cue-rocky-theme-song-to-read-89659

I think folks like us are great at accomplishing anything besides what really matters to us. It's just too close to home for us to do something about. I KNOW I'm good at failing, and so I subconciously do it just because I can control the failure. In a weird way, success is just too risky.

I'm in my 5th week of weightloss, and I can say from personal experience---These people won't let you quit. As long as you are committed, they'll give you the accountability and community you need to succeed. Good luck! (I'm cheering for you!)
  • evanstonmom
    Options
    Good luck! You're taking the right steps in the right direction, and this site is incredibly helpful. Don't be afraid to fail -- just start slowly, and you will get there.
  • Daysea13
    Daysea13 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the wonderful replies. I'm feeling the love already!
  • alaskabrat
    alaskabrat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You're right! We've all been through this many times! Just think......6 months, or even 1 year from now you will think to yourself ' wow am I ever happy that I stuck with it!' :P We are here with you the whole way!
  • flash53
    flash53 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Dear Daysea35,

We have all been in your place before. Take it from experience, YOU NEED TO TAKE IT ONE DAY AT A TIME!!! I can't stress that enough. Don't worry about the past you can't control something that has already happened. Learn from all the positive and negitive things that you and as well as others have done and try to fix them or work with them to make you live healthy. Set small realistic goals such as 1 or 1-1/2 lbs. a week. Set up a diary of how you feel for every day of the week so that day so you can look back in the future and see how you did on your good days and bad days. Start with exerciseing 3 days a week 20 to 30 min. and gradually increase exercising every 3 weeks or so as long as the doctor lets you. Just try to improve one thing about your diet or life every week and make a list of goals of everything you changed or want to change for that week rather than changing everything at once. The last two weeks I haven't done very well either but you know what tommorow is a new day I will start over and try not to beat myself up over it. Hang in there you can do it we are all here for support goodluck I have faith in you.:smile:
  • lisaap77
    lisaap77 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    AMEN to that! I too am frustrating myself with the excuses and am hoping that this will help. Another giant leap I did to keep myself motivated (other than taking AND posting that hideous picture of me) I signed up for a 5K. Now I'm about a step away from a couch potatoe. But I have 129 days to train myself to run a 5K. YIKES! Anyway my point is if we fail today, we start fresh tomorrow. Don't beat yourself up when you trip, it's the getting back up part that will ultimately define you.