Numb/tingly toes from running?

alwhisler
alwhisler Posts: 6
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all--I have been dealing with a weird issue and none of my friends have had this so I'm turning to the forum. I started running back in January and have been dealing with my toes and the balls of my feet getting tingly when running (sometimes from other cardio too). It's a similar sensation to having your foot fall asleep. I thought it was my shoes and so I got new shoes, broke them in, and it didn't help. Then, I thought I was just tying my laces too tight and it wasn't that either.

Has anyone else had this problem? It's not particularly painful but annoying more than anything else. Could it be blood pressure? Could it be dehydration? Any thoughts?

Replies

• meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    I have the very same problem, and have been concerned that it may have to do with some nerve issues in my feet. I'd love to hear any advice or suggestions from other runners. Thanks for posting this!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Are your running shoes at least a half size bigger than what you normally wear? If not, if might help to up your running shoe size. Your foot swells when you run. If so, I got nothin'. Sorry.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Are your running shoes at least a half size bigger than what you normally wear? If not, if might help to up your running shoe size. Your foot swells when you run. If so, I got nothin'. Sorry.
    This is very possibly my problem... I bought shoes with a wide toe box to minimize pressure around the ball of my foot, but my shoes are not a 1/2 size bigger than normal. In fact, my shoes size has actually gone down from losing all this weight. I used to wear a size 10 and now I regularly buy size 9 shoes.... Didn't know your feet could shrink, but apparently they do! :huh:
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    I too have this problem with my 3rd & 4th toes on one foot. I asked my podiatrist about it while he was treating me for a heel spur and he said it was Morton's Neuroma. I think it's a knotted up nerve. Not much can be done other than cut the nerve and have those two toes numb all the time. I'm going to wait until it becomes painful to have something done about mine. Right now it's just annoying. Just google it and see if your symptoms match it. Hope this helps.
  • Crys_00
    Crys_00 Posts: 17 Member
    I find my toes and sometimes all of my foot will go numb or tingly when I am on the elliptical machine. It doesn't happen on the treadmill though so I always thought maybe it was because on the elliptical I don't lift my feet. It goes away as soon as I am off the machine.
  • boobear00
    boobear00 Posts: 53 Member
    I had this same problem. I was getting numbness and tingling in my toes as well as intermittent pain in my arch. My podiatrist and chiropractor both attributed it to the same thing......flat feet and in general a lack of good support in my shoes. I was told due to the lack of support in my shoes, my arches slowly flattened, which stretched the tendons in my feet and caused the problems. I tried over the counter orthodics without success. Then my podiatrist made me a plastic, molded set of insoles which worked if I was walking, but if I did anything more vigorous caused me pain. Lastly I went to my chiropractor and he had a more flexible insole made by Foot Levelers. There was some mild discomfort the first few weeks but since then I have been pain and tingle free.
This discussion has been closed.