Maintenance Calories (I'm not eating this much)

Options
So, out of curiosity today I had a look at what my maintenance calories will be once I reach my goal weight (provided that weight doesn't change, which it invariably will). And all I can say is… Wow. I’m not eating that much. No way in hell. So my question is; what happens if you eat at a ‘calorie deficit’ for your whole life? Obviously you will not keep losing weight until you disappear off the planet, so why do you have to increase your calories once you reach your goal? Won’t you just get fat again?

Replies

• ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    If you continue eating at a deficit, it depends on the size of the deficit. But generally speaking, you will be unhealthy. You will likely lose lean mass (muscle), have hair/skin issues, fatigue, and a slower metabolism. You can also encounter weight regain, menstruation issues, arrhythmias, and permanent organ damage (ie to the heart, kidneys, liver, etc).
  • SRM88
    SRM88 Posts: 7
    Options
    i seem to be under my calorie goal by about between 100 - 200 calories (give or take), is this bad?
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    no, if you are eating 1200 to lose weight, you reach your goal weight, like the way you look and feel and want to stay at that weight you need to eat more to maintain that weight. Getting how many more calories right can be tricky, many people either continue losing weight for a while or suddenly gain a little when they up their calories...which is best done slowly
  • catcrazy
    Options
    yes, its simply to stop losing weight

if you are losing on 1200 then how can you maintain on the same 1200, to stop losing you need to up your calories. take exercise out the equation for now to simplify things, if you are losing 1lb a week on 1200 calories a day then you have a 3500 calorie a week deficit in place which is 500 calorie deficit a day...you reach goal weight so need to stop the deficit, that gives you an extra 500 a day, but when in deficit your metabolism is slightly slow so chances are you would need slightly more to the 500 calories (600 sounds about right) but its wise to raise your calorie intake slowly or you are more likely to have the sudden gain (which would easily be rectified but tends to cause a panic in a new at goal person)
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Even if I am eating healthy food that gives me all the nutrients etc that I need? If you can be well nourished at 1200 cals while trying to lose weight, why can't you keep being well nourished at 1200 cals while maintaining your weight? I don't understand why I would need to add in another 600 calories.

Because you won't "maintain" that weight if you are still at a deficit. Eventually you will run out of fat stores to draw from and the body will have nothing left to burn for energy but lean tissue - muscle, hair, skin, nails, etc. Including heart tissue.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    if i eat what MFP says is maintenance calories for me, I gain.

Ive put my goal as a 250 cal deficit, but dont fret if i go over, and this seems to be keeping me at maintenance.

You need to find what works for you. The human body doesnt work by exact numbers because some metabolic systems are more efficient than others. The human body is not an exact science.

You wont want to lose weight indefinitely though im sure, nor would it probably happen. your body would adjust to the lower intake over time by reducing your metabolic burn
  • catcrazy
    Options
    Thank you, catcrazy and ladyhawk00. I understand now :) Let's say though, hypothetically, that I could maintain on 1200 calories. Would I still need to increase my calories?

It all depends on what calories you are actually eating, if you are losing on 1200 calories you could not maintain on the same figure...if you are eating way below that figure not only will you be messing up your metabolism you are also risking long term health problems (bone density, fertility problems, muscle deterioration which includes heart problems) and also finding your maintenance level will take longer as your body has become used to living on much less.
  • haylayne81
    Options
    Ok, please help me understand. I just don't get the calories and deficit stuff. What am I supposed to eat (calories wise) to lose weight???
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    So, out of curiosity today I had a look at what my maintenance calories will be once I reach my goal weight (provided that weight doesn't change, which it invariably will). And all I can say is… Wow. I’m not eating that much. No way in hell. So my question is; what happens if you eat at a ‘calorie deficit’ for your whole life? Obviously you will not keep losing weight until you disappear off the planet, so why do you have to increase your calories once you reach your goal? Won’t you just get fat again?

Don't worry about it. As you weight goes down you calories needed to maintain will go down too. The calories you are looking at are maintenance calories to maintain your current weight.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Ok, please help me understand. I just don't get the calories and deficit stuff. What am I supposed to eat (calories wise) to lose weight???

Check these threads that should help you determine settings for a healthy, realistic goal/deficit. Then just try to meet those goals. :wink:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • skylar1907
    skylar1907 Posts: 156
    Options

If you eat right around what MFP suggests for you (in your food log), you'll be fine. There is a built-in calorie deficit based on your weight, lifestyle, and how much you want to lose per week.

If you exercise, MFP adds those calories into your food log. So, for instance - when I'm CRAVING chocolate, I do one extra workout that day (20min) and get enough 'extra' calories to have my 80cal cup of cocoa & more calories to spare. I still meet my goal of losing 2lbs+ each week & I feel GOOD in the mornings! I've lost inches off my arms and calves. I'm now busting fat inches on my thighs, upper arms & other areas.

The reason I'm on MFP is because its SO GOOD at figuring your caloric intake goals & exercise goals - use the tools provided and don't go stir-crazy trying to figure the rest out. As long as you're feeling good, losing where you want to lose & not starving, you're good to go.

Hope this helps!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Even if I am eating healthy food that gives me all the nutrients etc that I need? If you can be well nourished at 1200 cals while trying to lose weight, why can't you keep being well nourished at 1200 cals while maintaining your weight? I don't understand why I would need to add in another 600 calories.

your body is burning fat because you DO need more than 1200 calories...once hte fat is gone what is left to burn? muscle, tissue,....not good.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options

How tall are you?