honest feedback---> is there a such thing as too thin?

Options

Replies

• BrownSkinBeauty1990
    BrownSkinBeauty1990 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Sorry to say, but on both of them pics I think you definatly look WAY to thin. You're family are right to be worried, you look very unhealthy.

I think when you can see bones, is when you're too thin... & Trust me, it really isn't a good look x
  • monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I would say ask your doctor. They know you much better than people on the internet. I struggled with the "too skinny" comments for most of my teenage years and into my early 20's. It's hard to deal with. At 5'7 I was barely 120, so I do get it. Also, what does the BMI calculator say for your height/weight. I find that is a good general idea of where you want to be, but not a specific science. Take care!
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    You definitely look much healthier in the first photo. In my humble opinion you're certainly a little too thin in the 2nd one....
  • adriangoddard
    Options
    I would say that you are looking to thin - bordering on being un healthy.

As a guide - for myself - I need to get my BMI into the top half of a healthy range, and perhaps you should see where your BMI is sitting and see.

I use this one here -> http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html as it gives you more measurements - especially for females - to calculate accurate BMI and body fat.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I want to get to 110 as well and I'm 5'4 but if I start looking like your "after" pic I will definitely be adding more to my weight, if I ever get there. My honest opinion is that it's kind of hard to look at your pic...I get the "eeeesssshhh" feeling, like you have anorexia. I hope you don't....and I don't think 110 is a bad weight for us at 5'4...just that for you...well, see how it is in a few weeks. On your profile pic you look fine. Take another pic in a few days and see what you think. I think the fact that your collar bones look so sunken, and the upper part of your chest looks sunken too....
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    In the first picture you look fine and I was about to comment and say you weren't too thin and to just keep up maintenance, but in the second picture you look a little frail. Maybe it was the way you posed in the second that made you look really thin? Family members are usually the most honest and can usually tell if something is off, so if they are concerned then maybe you should be concerned too. Hope you got the responses/help you were looking for! :)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    id say you look a nice slim/skinny weight. I personally really like that look, the lower end of a healthy weight, but not actually underweight.

I definitely wouldnt try and lose any more though because youre borderline. Id go on maintenance now if i were you
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Oh honey. It kind of pains me that you’ve opened yourself up to this kind of feedback. Especially if you are having trouble understanding the difference between being healthy and underweight, I suspect you don’t have the psychological skin thick enough to weather the deluge of responses that say you’re not okay, just as you are. I just don’t think you needed to bring these voices into where you are right now, because the effect is likely to be more damaging than helpful.

Just understand that our families love us. They love us deeper than any kind strangers on the internet. They know us. They know our history. If your family is expressing concern, there is a reason. It may be time for an outside opinion. But that opinion should come from a trained medical professional, not a forum of strangers.

I agree with this ^^^^. But, sometimes it is hard to "hear" this feedback from family.

Even though our families love us, sometimes it is hard to accept their opinion/judgement (for many reasons). If what they are telling you doesn't feel right for you or you are just unsure, then seek the opinion of your doctor. Just like our family/friends sometimes have other issues that cloud their judgement of us, we often have problems being realistic with ourselves, especially around body issues. So, the doctor can give a good, unbiased perspective. Perspective is always good. Good luck.
  • tinareet
    tinareet Posts: 126
    Options
    in the first picture you look reasonably happy and healthy but I think in the second picture you like tired, your skin looks dull and you are edging on the getting too thin thing. Theres probs only a few pounds difference between these pictures, but it shows how a few pounds can make such a difference on your frame. at 110 pounds for your height you are so close to being at a BMI of underweight. I think you should try maintaining you weight now concentrate of getting enough of all your nutrients and to stop your skin from looking dull. You could also maybe try and do some strength training to get some muscle definition, but to gain muscle it is probably better to be eating at maintenance calories or a little higher.
    Good Luck in whatever you decide hunni and stay healthy and happy(it looks better on you,lol)
    Xx
  • Randonneur
    Randonneur Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Ok,
    you look like you are there, on the thin side...

what is your BMI, and where does that lie on the scale.

The photo is a bit dark so I lightened it up. and your overall body is just right, you don't need to go slimmer. You could do with getting a bit of muscle on your arms by going to a strength building class.

The close up of you, well face look alright, pretty. Collar bone about to show.

So I recommend that if you feel fat it may be the tummy, so some sit-ups to strengthen it.

There is such a thing as too thin, because once the fat is gone and it won't all go cos you need some, then you will start losing muscle and that means damage to organs such as the heart.

If you think you are too fat think again, you are looking great, but will spoil it if you go lower.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    5ft 4 and 110lb is a BMI of 18.9, which is still a healthy weight, but its borderline.
    18.5 is considered underweight.

The way i see it is the first picture looks lovely. The 2nd picture is very unflattering, but then i could take a pic of me with no makeup and at certain angles that would make me look like that, but i think the first picture of the whole body, with makeup and looking smiley and happy, you look healthy and slim
  • debbiequack
    debbiequack Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I think you know the answer to your question. I'm glad to hear you think you look okay and you're not saying "just a few more pounds to go..." Eating disorders are incredibly difficult to treat.

Best,

Debbie
  • gertrude13
    Options
    hello :D uhm if you compute your BMI it's 18.9, it's really near the underweight region, sadly :( this just means you should take it easy, and if you feel anything weird at all i really suggest talking to a doctor haha. i'm sorry if i'm this concerned, it is just that i had the same situation WAYYY BACK (when i was in high school) i lost too much weight, became underweight and eventually had a load of illnesses that forced me to eat A LOT (since i'm too sick) that's why i became overweight again (in college) haha hope that helped, i just don't want you going down the same messy road i walked through :)
  • lillydlc
    lillydlc Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Oh honey. It kind of pains me that you’ve opened yourself up to this kind of feedback. Especially if you are having trouble understanding the difference between being healthy and underweight, I suspect you don’t have the psychological skin thick enough to weather the deluge of responses that say you’re not okay, just as you are. I just don’t think you needed to bring these voices into where you are right now, because the effect is likely to be more damaging than helpful.

Just understand that our families love us. They love us deeper than any kind strangers on the internet. They know us. They know our history. If your family is expressing concern, there is a reason. It may be time for an outside opinion. But that opinion should come from a trained medical professional, not a forum of strangers.

I agree with this, take care and listen to your family x
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options

TOTALLY TOTALLY AGREE! VERY WISE WORDS!

Your family know you better than anyone. Showing us two pictures is not a good representative of what you look like as angles and clothes etc can be deceiving and we do not know what you looked like before.

My opinion based on the two pictures are that yes you probably have gone a little too far but not ridiculously so. This means it should be easy enough to correct.

I agree that the best way to make sure you are doing what is right for your body is to see a Doctor.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 108. I'm extremely healthy and muscular...I'm just very petitie. I was 102 a few years ago, and I wasn't so healthy. There is a fine line. You look fine, definitely not too skinny, in the first pic. I think the second pic is just a bad angle that shows your collar bone sticking out (mine sticks out too when I'm leaning forward).

I wouldn't lose any weight though...don't concentrate on the scale. Just eat healthy and build some muscle! Muscle looks a lot better than being a stick, believe me, I know.
  • zoombie_bear
    zoombie_bear Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    your arms are twigs, you need to build some muscles there
    As long as you are eating well & exercicing, to me there is such a thing as to thin, but a unhealthy thins sure does exist,
    but if you feel great & eating well, I have nothing to add
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    First picture is OK - second picture makes you look ill I am afraid.

I am 5ft 1in and aiming for 112lbs - even that might be pushing it for my body shape???

As others have said we do not know you, but if people that know you (and love you) are concerned it's probably time to listen to their concerns :-(
  • fpueblo
    fpueblo Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of the people here there is such a thing as too thin and in the first pic you look ok but the second pic you look like you would benefit from putting on at least 5 lbs but eat healthy to do it.
  • LeAnn_Mae
    LeAnn_Mae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Ya I think in the second picture you are just angled weird but I think you look fine!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!