Mexican

Options
humblemonkey
humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
So I LOVE mexican food...the spicier the better....
but i dont have very many low-cal recipes....anyone have any?!?!

Replies

• globe_trekker
    globe_trekker Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_mexican_recipes

I love eggs, and you can reduce calories even further in the egg dishes by poaching them in a poach pod http://www.designverb.com/wp-content/images/2007/08/poachPod.jpg by not frying them.

Another good link:
    http://www.delish.com/recipes/cooking-recipes/low-fat-healthy-mexican-recipes
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I wish I had some good recipes tooooo!
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    Fajitas are usually low cal if you skip the guacamole!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Bake corn tortillas in a 400 degree oven until they are crisp. Tostadas!

Mash black beans with spicy salsa, heat in microwave. Spread on crisped tortillas and top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, onions and cilantro!

Easy - high in protein and fiber, low in fat. Takes less than 10 minutes.
  • Somenameioi
    Somenameioi Posts: 43 Member
    Options
  • humblemonkey
    Options

that looks amazing. i think i know whats for dinner tomorrow.
  • humblemonkey
    Options
    Bake corn tortillas in a 400 degree oven until they are crisp. Tostadas!

Mash black beans with spicy salsa, heat in microwave. Spread on crisped tortillas and top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, onions and cilantro!

Easy - high in protein and fiber, low in fat. Takes less than 10 minutes.

like....fresco nachos!! haha sounds good too!
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I crave Mexican 24-7
  • humblemonkey
    Options
    BUMP! I crave Mexican 24-7

ahh me too. salsa IMO should be one of the food groups. LOL have u tried the new laughing cow queso freco and chipotle? yum!!
  • lijparsons
    lijparsons Posts: 258
    Options
    Oh God! Mexican! I loooove Mexican. Burritos, and tacos, and enchiladas, and fajitas and margaritas....mmmmm. OK, now that that is out of the way, I find you can do alright with fajitas. We had them the other night, and I grilled the chicken with just spices for flavor, sauteed the peppers, onion etc with just Pam cooking spray, went easy on the cheese, and easy on the sour cream. You can put salsa inside which is almost a freebie. Mmmm, tacos. OK, let me go steam my brocolli.
  • msk4
    msk4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Go to cooking light.com I have found some Mexican recipes there. I love mexican food too. I haven't tried the recipes yet. Just found them today. That website is really good for all kinds of foods!
  • cjbnc
    cjbnc Posts: 32
    Options
    More of an idea than a formal recipe. I love New Mexican food, where they use green chiles for most of their sauces with or even instead of tomatoes. Here's a filling with a few lite uses:

Fill a crock pot with 2lbs skinless chicken (breasts or thighs), one onion, 8-12 oz of canned or frozen green chiles, and season with taco or fajita seasoning. Slow cook until the chicken falls apart and can be shredded. Makes 8 servings of green chile chicken, with about 145 cals when I used thighs.

I like corn tortillas soft , at 45 cals per tortilla. (Not fried!) 1 Taco: soft corn tortilla + 1oz cooked green chili chicken + low fat or fat free cheese plus lettuce and tomatoes. Three of those for under 500 cals is a nice meal.

Taquitos, care of Hungry Girl: mix 1oz of low fat or fat free cheese with 3oz of meat. Split and roll in 3 tortillas. Bake at 350 or so until crisp.

Enchiladas - Rolls chicken in tortillas, cover with salsa and sprinkle cheese. Microwave to heat through. Add lettuce if you like.
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    check out the "Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken" recipe posted on the recipe board... so good and easy. I had a bunch of leftover sauce b/c I doubled to salsa and sour cream so I used it to make enchiladas with- also great :)
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Alice37
    Alice37 Posts: 29
    Options
    Bump! I ADORE Mexican food!!! :love:

I find if I use half fat creme fraiche instead of sour cream & strong cheese so can cut back on the amount the calories etc are fairly good. It's a good way to get loads of veggies & beans into your diet too! Perfect!!! :happy:
  • mandalina23
    Options
    Sometimes I'll put salsa on my salads for lunch and crush 3 or 4 tortilla chips for that mexican taste.
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    1 can chunked chicken breast
    1 tbs low sodium taco seasoning
    1/4 cup shredded fat free cheddar
    2 tbs salsa
    3 extra thin corn tortillias

mix chicken, seasoning, cheese, and salsa together. Put corn tortilla in microwave wrapped in damp paper towel for 20 seconds to make them bendable. Fill tortillas with mixture and roll together using toothpicks to hold. Place seem side down on cookie sheet in oven @ 350 until they are crispy.

comes out to around 100 cal for each taquito
  • Debbisue52
    Debbisue52 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My quick "Mexican food fix": "Mini Mexican Pizzas...makes 2:

Quaker Rice Cakes - White Cheddar (Correct) - White Cheddar, 2 Cakes 90 Cal
    Kraft - American Cheese Fat Free Singles, 2 slice 50 Cal
    Old El Paso - Refried Beans - Vegetarian, 1/2 Cup 90 Cal
    Chi-Chi's - Medium Thick & Chunky Salsa, 2 Tbsp 10 Cal
    Mt Olive Jalapeno Slices - Pickled Jalepenos, 8 rings 0 Cal

On each cheddar rice cake...1st layer...use half a cheese slice
    2nd layer 1/8 to 1/4 cup refried beans...depends how many calories you want
    3rd layer jalepeno slices
    4th layer other half of cheese slice
    5th layer salsa

Zap in the microwave about a minute
    105 calories each if you use 1/8 cup refried beans on each
    150 if you use 1/4 cup refried beans on each

You can also cut the calories by another 25 by only using 1 slice of fat free cheese....1/2 slice on each "pizza"
  • loro1971
    loro1971 Posts: 135
    Options
    go to skinnytaste.com best recipe site ever!!! they have all nutritional info posted and she loves spicy food too!!! i make carnitas,fajitas, spicy shrimp chicken pernil...chicken in adobo..... all from her site
  • AnnThereseRN
    AnnThereseRN Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato and black bean enchiladas!

Peel and dice two medium sweet potatoes and add a can of black beans (drained and rinsed) and bake them @ 350 for about 20 minutes until tender with a little vegetable broth in the bottom on the pan. Season with your favorite Mexican spices - chili powder, Adobo, cumin, S&P...

I use Trader Joe's low carb tortillas (45 cal each) and spread a little low fat cream cheese on them add sweet potatoes and black beans sprinkle some low fat cheese inside and roll closed, repeat this times however big your pan is. Top with taco sauce, tomato sauce, or salsa and some more low fat shredded cheese. Bake @ 350 for another 15 - 20 minutes.

Yum-tastic.