torn miniscus?

Options
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had a torn miniscus in the past? As I have lost the weight, I have become a jogger/runner, but unfortunately about a month and a half ago my knee started giving out while at the gym, and then the excruciating pain started. I took it easy for 2 weeks, torture, but when the pain didn't subside from being a couch potato...I went to my general Dr., and he told me to take it easy for 3 weeks, and I had already been doing that on my own for 2 weeks prior. It is still popping, tingling and aching at night, and this is with NO GYM FOR A MONTH! I am dying to get back on track and train for my next race. WHY MUST OUR BODY PUNISH US FOR BEING ACTIVE?:mad:

I am supposed to get an MRI tomorrow, but of course the insurance only helps so much:ohwell: And, I really don't want do the MRI in vain, even though I don't want surgery. Anyhoo, I guess I just need some advice or to hear about others' experience. I have totally fallen off the wagon as far as eating goes b/c I am so upset about my leg, it feels like a waste of energy to watch my intake. Fortunately I haven't gained, but I know I have lost about 3-5 pounds of muscle, and I worked hard for that muscle!:brokenheart: So I would love to hear your take....

Replies

• fit4fun
    Options
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone has had a torn miniscus in the past? As I have lost the weight, I have become a jogger/runner, but unfortunately about a month and a half ago my knee started giving out while at the gym, and then the excruciating pain started. I took it easy for 2 weeks, torture, but when the pain didn't subside from being a couch potato...I went to my general Dr., and he told me to take it easy for 3 weeks, and I had already been doing that on my own for 2 weeks prior. It is still popping, tingling and aching at night, and this is with NO GYM FOR A MONTH! I am dying to get back on track and train for my next race. WHY MUST OUR BODY PUNISH US FOR BEING ACTIVE?:mad:

I am supposed to get an MRI tomorrow, but of course the insurance only helps so much:ohwell: And, I really don't want do the MRI in vain, even though I don't want surgery. Anyhoo, I guess I just need some advice or to hear about others' experience. I have totally fallen off the wagon as far as eating goes b/c I am so upset about my leg, it feels like a waste of energy to watch my intake. Fortunately I haven't gained, but I know I have lost about 3-5 pounds of muscle, and I worked hard for that muscle!:brokenheart: So I would love to hear your take....
  • curlhair
    Options
    yikes, that sounds really painful! i have nothing helpful to offer you, but i DO hope you feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    DONT be afraid to ask questions. It can be daunting to go into a surgeons office, but you have the RIGHT to information. Go in with a list of questions and concerns about the injury, surgery, alternatives, post op issues, etc...

I hope you feel better soon!:flowerforyou:
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Hello!!! I am sorry about your knee:flowerforyou: It will get better though..... I started running about 2 years ago, this summer i was training for a triathlon, and after a run my knee hurt sooo bad i could not even move!! At the gym i could not do squats at all because it felt like my leg was going to give out. i had an MRI on mine in September.
    It revealed a slight tear and fluid behind my knee cap!! My dr. gave me a cortozone shot, and said if the pain did not go away within a week, come back to get it scoped......Luckily for me the shot helped, and it feels a million times better!!!! I have not ran since, but i have no pain when i do Turbo Jam, eleptical machine, and other things at the gym. My injury came from running, and i don't want to do anything again!!! Has your dr. talked to you about a shot? GOOD LUCK :heart: Cara
  • fit4fun
    Options
    No, they haven't! Thanks for the input. I am definitely going to go through with the MRI, just so I will know for sure what it is. The popping is really worrying me. I can't believe I may not be able to run anymore...Gosh this sucks!