Is My Dietitian Crazy?

Options
My Dietitian wants me to eat 1800 calories per day with no regard as to how many Calories I am burning working out. I asked her if I should be aiming for 1800 net or total and she told me not to calculate how much I'm working out into it at all...

This has made me think I shouldn't listen to her. Some days I barely hit 300 net calories. Most days I'm right about 600-900 net calories consumed. 2 or three days I have been in the negative at the end of the day.

Should I tell her to shove it or should I continue doing as she says because she's a trained nutritionist/dietitian?

Replies

• Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    Your net calories should be as close to 1200 as possible. But I believe what your dietician is talking about is your total intake of calories. She wants you to eat 1800 calories per day, and not calculate your workouts into that. It seems like she's telling you to do that because you're working out a LOT and not getting enough calories in.
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am not a dietian, but you have got to be eating at least 1200 calories a day net.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Assuming she is a certified nutritionist/dietitian and you are paying her, I would listen to her, but definitely request an explanation for her instructions based on other knowledge you are balancing it against. I would think she would be willing to provide you with a diagram/chart that illustrated her recommendation and how it relates to exercise calories that you burn. How great that you are working with someone! I read your inspiration (regarding your grandfather) and think you have a noble goal and such motivation. In the end, you will be the beneficiary of weight loss and a healthier life!
  • Mellissande
    Options
    Your net calories should be as close to 1200 as possible. But I believe what your dietician is talking about is your total intake of calories. She wants you to eat 1800 calories per day, and not calculate your workouts into that. It seems like she's telling you to do that because you're working out a LOT and not getting enough calories in.

When I first went in I was in "starvation" mode. 1800 calories is still alot of calories for me to eat, But even after I have started working out between 1000 and 1500 calories per day She still says not to eat back my exercise calories
  • ShaoonaRae
    ShaoonaRae Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    No, she isn't crazy. Your weight and height effect how much calories you burn just by sitting around.

For example, I'm 5'5, and 225 lbs. If I did absolutely nothing but sit a computer all day my body would burn 2100 calories. Most people are around the 2000 range.

I think she's just making sure you don't undereat so your body doesn't go into starvation mode.

edit: To clarify, you can exercise as much as you want and burn it all off as you choose, making your net whatever you feel is appropriate, you just need to digest that many calories so your body doesn't try to retain everything, and so you don't screw up your digestive system.
  • JeanK56
    JeanK56 Posts: 76
    Options
    Perhpas she is making sense. Try it for a week or two and see how you feel.
  • Mellissande
    Options
    Assuming she is a certified nutritionist/dietitian and you are paying her, I would listen to her, but definitely request an explanation for her instructions based on other knowledge you are balancing it against. I would think she would be willing to provide you with a diagram/chart that illustrated her recommendation and how it relates to exercise calories that you burn. How great that you are working with someone! I read your inspiration (regarding your grandfather) and think you have a noble goal and such motivation. In the end, you will be the beneficiary of weight loss and a healthier life!
    Thank you very much. I'm an Army wife, The dietitian I'm seeing is the one who works at the Army hospital. But you're right, I'll have to see if she can explain to me why I shouldn't be calculating my exercise in my calorie intake
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    If you are a "special case" than she is quite possibly correct.
  • lrns88
    lrns88 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think it makes sense! My PT worked out my basal metabolic rate of 2200 including all the workouts I do, so I have to aim for 1700 - 1800 calories a day to lose 1lb a week. And so far, it's working!!
  • lorinjer
    lorinjer Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You do not HAVE to eat 1200 caloreis a day. I dont and i'm not in starvation mode. Eat when you feel hungry but ry and eat 4 or 5 times a day. If you eat just to eat, isnt that how we all got over weight to being with?
  • Mellissande
    Options
    ok, Now it's starting to make sense to me. I've got my BMR calculated at 2580 calories per day at 6' tall and 366.2 lbs

I just don't want to make my body think it's dying if I keep working out the way I do.

I've been at it for a little under a month now and lost a little over 13 lbs
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I would get another opinion. Not all dieticians are trained equally. I've taken some nutrition classes and been looked at all puzzled when I asked these questions. I saw a dietician who laughed at me and said if I want to lose weight I shouldn't eat as much and I should exercise more regardless of any calculations. She sisn't even know what net calories were.... and she was a hospital RD with excellent credintials. When in doubt, seek another opinion.
  • pyro13g
    Options
    If you were truly in starvation mode for some time than coming out of it slowly is usually a good idea. Could be part of her concern.
  • pyro13g
    Options
    duplicate post
  • biggiwig
    biggiwig Posts: 76
    Options
    I wouldn't listen to her. Listen to your body. It tells you, when your are hungry, you should eat (healthy), and if your are full, don't eat (just because it has to be 1800 ca., doesn't mean you have to eat all that).
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    So your BMR 2580 and you are netting 300 to 600 and sometimes in the negative. I think you should listen to your dietitian. If you continue NOT eating enough to sustain your body, your body will resist weight loss. Its ok to only set a weight loss goal of 1 lb per week. Anything over 2 lb is not recommended. So you shouldn't eat less than 1580 net. But hey, do what you want however you might be disappointed to find you will stop losing weight if you continue your eating plan.
  • Mellissande
    Options
    I would get another opinion. Not all dieticians are trained equally. I've taken some nutrition classes and been looked at all puzzled when I asked these questions. I saw a dietician who laughed at me and said if I want to lose weight I shouldn't eat as much and I should exercise more regardless of any calculations. She sisn't even know what net calories were.... and she was a hospital RD with excellent credintials. When in doubt, seek another opinion.

That reminds me of an experience I had when I was 12 I went to a nutritionist who told me that "hunger is good. Hunger means your body is burning calories and doesn't mean you should eat."

Clarification: When I say "Starvation" mode I mean I was eating an average of 500-700 calories per day and only eating one meal per day. My weight wasn't going up, but it wasn't going down either...
  • Mellissande
    Options
    So your BMR 2580 and you are netting 300 to 600 and sometimes in the negative. I think you should listen to your dietitian. If you continue NOT eating enough to sustain your body, your body will resist weight loss. Its ok to only set a weight loss goal of 1 lb per week. Anything over 2 lb is not recommended. So you shouldn't eat less than 1580 net. But hey, do what you want however you might be disappointed to find you will stop losing weight if you continue your eating plan.

I think you misunderstand what I was saying. I am asking if I should eat 1800 net calories per day (eat back the exercise calories burned) or only do as the Dietitian says and eat 1800 calories period (not eating back Exercise calories and therefore making net calories very low)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    ok, Now it's starting to make sense to me. I've got my BMR calculated at 2580 calories per day at 6' tall and 366.2 lbs

I just don't want to make my body think it's dying if I keep working out the way I do.

I've been at it for a little under a month now and lost a little over 13 lbs

No, your dietician isn't crazy.

If you want a comprehensive but excellent breakdown of the various different methods in which calorie needs are calculated then read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/172515-frantic-about-adhering-to-the-right-calorie-intake-read-t

In fact, the usual approach is factoring in calorie expenditure from exercise when determining a deficit and then providing an average daily number to shoot for with this included. MFP is unusal in this regard in that you have to add back calories as it doesn't include exercise in its deficit calculations (or some I am lead to believe.)

In reality you could probably eat much more than 1,800 calories a day, especially of you are exercising hard, and still lose a significant amount of weight safely. Given your high starting weight a different set of rules are in play in comparsion to leaner individuals so don't be worried if you drop more than 2lbs a week in the short term.

Honestly, if you find yourself eating 200, 300, or 400 more than your daily goal of 1,800 then don't sweat it. You will still do amazingly well.

I would also recommend getting a weighing scale for food rather than measuring cups. They tend to be a much more accurate method of calculating calories and it will help give you an idea of reasonable portion size etc.

Now get to work...
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Give it a shot and see if it works.

I go by the same concept. I eat 2700 cals a day, and I don't plug in my excercise. I just eat that regardless of how much I work out.