Ban junk food?

Options
Adsnwfld
Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
I came across this today, and while I eat pretty clean and don't chose to eat the really bad stuff I have a problem with the Government telling people what they can and can't eat.

http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-reviews/banned-a-round-up-of-new-or-proposed-restrictions-on-junk-food#comments

How about posting nutritional data and letting people decide for themselves.
Sometimes I want a little junk food and really don't want to be told I can't get it.

Replies

• Zsangel
    Zsangel Posts: 202
    Options
    Agreed! people should be able to make their own decisions!
  • MariahNS
    MariahNS Posts: 23
    Options
    While I do agree that government should stay out of our pantries, I applaud the fact that Michelle Obama is working to reduce prices on healthy foods. It is WAY less expensive to eat processed, boxed junk than it is to eat fresh meats and vegetables, dairy and the like. Healthy snacks for kids are even harder to find!
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Healthy snacks for kids are even harder to find!

Huh? Apples, grapes, bananas, oranges, carrots...those are hard to find? It's ll about molding their minds as to what a snack food is...
  • longtallted
    longtallted Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Junk food is out there and it's part of society so you can't just ban it. If cigarettes were invented today, there is no way people would be allowed to start selling them. People still sell them and even though here in the UK the warnings on the packet include gross colour pictures of diseased lungs, people still buy them.

Education is the way to really change things, not policing people. For example, the only difference between me today (1400 cals a day and exercise 7 times a week) compared to a month ago (exercise never and consume 2800 cals a day) is how I feel and what I choose to do.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of the saying "You can't legislate common sense."

I say provide the nutritional information and let each individual make the decision for themselves. The only place I want to see food restrictions is in schools because most American kids are fed garbage provided by industrial food giants like Sysco, and I don't expect an 8 year old to make wise food decisions.
  • MariahNS
    MariahNS Posts: 23
    Options
    Healthy snacks for kids are even harder to find!

Huh? Apples, grapes, bananas, oranges, carrots...those are hard to find? It's ll about molding their minds as to what a snack food is...

My kid eats all those things, but I guess I'm talking about things that are made and packaged for kids, specifically. Fruit roll-ups, for example...you can buy the all sugar no real fruit kind everywhere, but the organic kind that have real fruit in them are three times as expensive and nearly impossible to find (they are called FruitaBu...if you see them let me know!) Don't even get me started on breakfast cereals....if they would put a cartoon character on low-fat granola I'd be happy!
  • Zsangel
    Zsangel Posts: 202
    Options
    I've just come across this ---> http://www.theboombox.com/2011/04/11/beyonce-debuts-move-your-body-for-obesity-campaign/
    Beyonce is working with Michelle Obama to tackle childhood obesity
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I understand not wanting to "be told what to do" by the government, but a lot of these foods are genuinely addicting and despite the fact they won't cure the epidemic of obesity in America, these regulations might start helping curb it. I know that seeing the calories up on the menu around town has definitely made me and others I've been with stop and think about what we were actually going to order a little harder than we may have before. These may seem a little more extreme but it I see it more as a nudge to try and get people to make better choices for themselves and those around them.