What cereal do you use?

Options
Hello,

I am doing the Kettleworx program and trying to eat healthier by following their Fat Free in 42 plan. I have been doing it for 13 weeks and have lost 18 lbs. My problem is some mornings, well most, I do not want to eat eggs and so I choose cantaloupe or a banana and some cereal. I have been eating Kashi Go Lean Crisp Toasted Berry Crumble, my fav, and Kashi Go Lean Crunch. I choose these because they are really high in protein, even more than eggs!

I was wondering though about Fiber One cereal. It doesn't have all the protein, but does have a lot of fiber. Does anyone else use this, or any other types. The Kashi is very expensive and no coupons so I would like to maybe try something I could get a better deal on!! Thanks!

Replies

• LindsayChick
    LindsayChick Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The Fiber 1 cereal is absolutely amazing!!! I love it! I eat the original kind (only 60 calories for a 1/2 cup, 57% of daily fiber). Most of the time I mix it with yogurt. It's also great w/ milk and a little splenda sprinkled on top. There are a lot of different Fiber 1 cereals, but the original is the most bang for your calorie buck I think. Hope this helps =)
  • hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Kashi GoLean is a solid choice. I eat it 1-2 a week. The other days I'll have Oat Bran or greek yogurt. Blueberries with all three.
  • NoPyForYou
    NoPyForYou Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love the fiber one cereals (the cinna-oat one and the fruit-yogurt one). Both keep me nice and full through the morning and taste great - I don't add any sweetener to either. The cinna-oat one is especially great with a banana in it!
  • kscutie
    kscutie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I like that Kashi Berry cereal...but man it gives me major gas!!! The first time I ate it I had horrible pains all day! Probably more fiber than I'm used too! But it's delicious cereal
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    The Fiber 1 cereal is absolutely amazing!!! I love it! I eat the original kind (only 60 calories for a 1/2 cup, 57% of daily fiber). Most of the time I mix it with yogurt. It's also great w/ milk and a little splenda sprinkled on top. There are a lot of different Fiber 1 cereals, but the original is the most bang for your calorie buck I think. Hope this helps =)

I will have to agree. I love Fiber One cereals. I usually eat a bowl twice a day.

I love all of them though. Just gotta be careful with them cereals, they can get you into trouble. D-:
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    You could try regular Kashi GoLean cereal--it has higher fiber and protein and less sugar than the others.

I used to eat fiberone like crazy until I read the ingredients. Most I could live with, but aspartame was the last straw. Who wants to start their morning with a neurotoxin?
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    Options
    I mix the Trader Joe's version of Fiber One with Kashi Go Lean, a banana & berries. So good & totally filling.
  • phitme
    phitme Posts: 124
    Options
    I used to eat fiberone like crazy until I read the ingredients. Most I could live with, but aspartame was the last straw. Who wants to start their morning with a neurotoxin?

That is what made me switch to the Trader Joe's version. I can't do aspartame.
  • carters2002
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. The Kashi does give gas, lol!!! I may try some of the fiber one. Do they all have aspartame?

And what did you mean they will get you in trouble??
  • hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    They don't all have aspartame (or Acesulfame K, Sucralose, or saccaharin), but you certainly should be reading all your food labels and check (if you don't want that processed stuff in you, some people don't mind it of course).

Getting you in trouble == GAS. High fiber diets tend to produce more gas in people, especially when they are increasing their daily fiber intake.
  • LMac423
    LMac423 Posts: 82
    Options
    Cheerios! Plain & simple =)
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I do Fiber One Honey Clusters, I think it has 51% in 1 cup and 160 calories. I need it, so I eat it.
    I recently ran out tho, so I'm eating the rest of my "Fiber Enriched" Apple Jacks. :P
  • Kristinapedia
    Kristinapedia Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I eat a LOT of cereal since I changed my eating habits 3 months ago. It helps TREMENDOUSLY. I often substitute lunch or even both meals with cereal if I ate too much the day before or I'm going to be eating out the next day. (Just a side note, I normally didn't eat breakfast before my eating changed and I learned quickly to keep NOT eating breakfast, because I would be starving by 11 am as opposed to just having tea and eating lunch at 1 or 2 pm)

Some cereals I often eat:
    Raisin Bran
    Rice Krispies
    Cheerios
    Kashi Go Lean
    Great Grains
    Fiber 1 (Ditto what someone else said about gas! If I eat it for lunch one day, it's pretty much gone by the next day when i have to work! LOL
    Chex Cereals.

Basically anything w/o sugar. I won't pay more than $2 or $2.50 for "regular" cereals , nor $3 for "healthy" cereals so when they're on sale I stock up. Once in a while I'll eat a bowl of Apple Jacks or other sugar cereal, but not often.
  • hwillick
    hwillick Posts: 6
    Options
    Kashi anything is your best bet..all natural nothing artificial! It helps you stay fuller for longer and it tastes good too:)
  • amerr
    amerr Posts: 190
    Options
    I've tried a few Fiber One cereals and I find them disgusting. They do taste like cardboard to me. I like Special K. I do like everything else that is Fiber One though, their yogurt and granola bars are good.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    SpecialK plus protein has a decent amount and you can find coupons but for me it is almond crunch kashi or coach's oats steel cut oatmeal. I have to start my day off with a bare min of 15gr of protein or it won't be a good day.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I stick with good old-fashioned quick oats, just microwave for 2 minutes and its ready. Keeps me full for hours.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    On occasion I eat rice chex with a few dried cranberries, but I prefer steel cut oats or quinoa with almond milk almond slivers and dried cranberries.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Cheerios! Plain & simple =)
    yup yup!! but I do like fiber one sometimes. Kashi gave me a bad bad rash years ago.
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If you're experiencing intestinal issues, check the label! More often than not it's due to artificial sweeteners or inulin. Inulin is derived from chicory root and creates pseudo soluble fiber (I say pseudo because you don't get the cholesterol lowering effects you get from most plant-based solubles). Fiber One bars definitely have this ingredient and have earned the nickname "fart bars" and a lifetime ban from my house :-o.

As for cereal, I've given up. I need to eat multiple bowls to feel satiated. Steel-cut or whole oats are the way to go! If I must, I keep Nature's Path flax granola on hand for parfaits and a bowl of that is pretty good in a pinch.