is it water weight?

Options
ok so ive always had a problem drinking not just water, but anything. ive been trying to loose weight for a little over a year and lost a few pds in total so recently i decided to try and slow down on the sodium or processed foods and drink more. the sodium is REALLy hard to lower but ive been trying to drink more to combat that. the only thing i drink is crystal light lemonade with lemon juice ( i use 1 qt packet in a gallon) so its only like 2 calories a glass and mostly water and some lemon juice.

anyway, since ive been making it a point to drink 8 cups a day, ive noticed my scale is only going up. of course im still working out too..im doing L2 of the shred and havent taken any days off so i know my muscles can be holding onto some water as well.

im HOPING that because my body isent used to getting the water it needs, its holding onto it until it realizes oh hey, this is happening everyday..i can get rid of some now.

and if thats the case, how long should that take?? i feel bloated everyday now.

Replies

• kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    You work out every day? The first thing I would try is taking off 1 or 2 days a week. If I work out too much, I can feel the extra water in my body.
  • denisec26
    denisec26 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    usually i only worked out mon-fri but because ive started the shred. i havent taken a break in 7 days, and i usually try to do extra crunches and some zumba on the same day.
  • rocknrowley
    Options
    Is that 8 cups of pure water or the lemonade? You need 8 cups of plain water per day. Negative water, such as lemonade, will make you retain water. Very important.
  • denisec26
    Options
    i cant drink straight water. so its either crystal light or nothing. like i said i cut the oackets in half and put some lemon juice in it..so its really light. its mostly water.
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Im sure that's fine. I think just 8 cups of liquid in general is pretty good for you. Unless it's soda or something.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    ok so ive always had a problem drinking not just water, but anything. ive been trying to loose weight for a little over a year and lost a few pds in total so recently i decided to try and slow down on the sodium or processed foods and drink more. the sodium is REALLy hard to lower but ive been trying to drink more to combat that. the only thing i drink is crystal light lemonade with lemon juice ( i use 1 qt packet in a gallon) so its only like 2 calories a glass and mostly water and some lemon juice.

anyway, since ive been making it a point to drink 8 cups a day, ive noticed my scale is only going up. of course im still working out too..im doing L2 of the shred and havent taken any days off so i know my muscles can be holding onto some water as well.

im HOPING that because my body isent used to getting the water it needs, its holding onto it until it realizes oh hey, this is happening everyday..i can get rid of some now.

and if thats the case, how long should that take?? i feel bloated everyday now.

Give it time. Your body is adjusting to all of it. It will let it go. Don't know when but it will happen.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/128737-temporary-weight-gain-explained?hl=weight+gain+after+weight+lifting#posts-1747282

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5579501_do-retain-water-after-exercise_.html
  • AFitasticYou
    Options
    How often do you get on the scale? My weight in day is everyday Friday morning. If I jump on the scale a few days early I've noticed that I may be up a little bit, but then on Friday I'm back down. I really try not to cheat & only weigh in once a week. Maybe you should try getting on less, if it's once a week, make it 2 weeks. Might cut out some stress...
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The Crystal Light has sodium in it, so you may be adding in what your are trying to eliminate.

If it is the plainness of the water, try adding a few drops of lemon juice, rather than the drink mix.
  • AFitasticYou
    Options
    I wonder if adding fresh lemon would be better for you than Crystal Light, even if is half. I don't know much about Crystal Light, but I woudl imagine fresh lemon would be better.

ETA: I agree with the poster above me! I was typing when hers posted!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    You don't have to drink 8 cups of "pure water." It can be flavored water. It can be unsweetened tea (black, green, herbal, etc.). It can be black coffee. It's the pure fluid (i.e. not carbonated, not sweetened, etc.) that your body needs, not pure water. And I seriously doubt that adding a small amount of Crystal Light or lemon juice to your water is having that big of an impact on your weight, so if that's what you need to do to get your water in, do it.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Don't let that scale get you down! If you haven't consumed an additional 3500 calories above and beyond, you have not gained even one pound. You're doing what you're supposed to be doing and no matter what the scale says you know that you're doing it right.
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    You don't even need to drink 8 cups of water. Most people get a lot of water through food, because a lot of food has water in it. Obviously you want to stay hydrated when working out, and water often fills people up when they think they are hungry. The "8 cups of water" was debunked ages ago.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Yes, I don't agree with the "pure water" thing either. I DO think that pure water is the best option, however, if you won't drink it it doesn't really help you at all. The small amount of Chrystal Light PROBABLY isn't detrimental. Adding lemon juice is a good idea too because it can aid with digestion. That can't be bad. It IS a good idea to take one day off from exercise a week. This really helps get rid of the extra water weight. Always weigh in after your rest day. On your rest day you really need to pound the water though. I mean, for real. If you can get 100oz in that's what you should do. I've dropped OVER 2.5 pounds in a night that way. I can't even tell you how big a loss that is for me.

Hang in there girl :smile: It's gonna happen.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    You don't even need to drink 8 cups of water. Most people get a lot of water through food, because a lot of food has water in it. Obviously you want to stay hydrated when working out, and water often fills people up when they think they are hungry. The "8 cups of water" was debunked ages ago.

Yes, this is true. Your body does not necessarily need 8 cups to function properly. However, if you are eating a generous amount of sodium as the OP has said, (though she is trying to cut back) and she believes she is holding on to water, getting that water in is important for flushing it out.
  • denisec26
    Options
    Yes, I don't agree with the "pure water" thing either. I DO think that pure water is the best option, however, if you won't drink it it doesn't really help you at all. The small amount of Chrystal Light PROBABLY isn't detrimental. Adding lemon juice is a good idea too because it can aid with digestion. That can't be bad. It IS a good idea to take one day off from exercise a week. This really helps get rid of the extra water weight. Always weigh in after your rest day. On your rest day you really need to pound the water though. I mean, for real. If you can get 100oz in that's what you should do. I've dropped OVER 2.5 pounds in a night that way. I can't even tell you how big a loss that is for me.

Hang in there girl :smile: It's gonna happen.

hmm i think im gonna try that. i usually have a rest day but with the shred recently, i do it everyday. I'll actuallybe out all tomorrow ( i clean my vf;s grans house for a few hrs) so i wont be home to do the dvd, i think ill take a rest day and suck down some extra crystal light and see if that helps.