Fiber question

Options
JennS19
JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
This has probably been asked before and I'm sorry for the repeat......my fiber on my diary is at 14 for the day. But I'm assuming the more fiber the better. What should I move my total up to because 14 just seems low.

Thanks for the help! :)

Replies

• shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    at least 30gr
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    25g - 30g is good. I recently read high 20s to low 30s is good for everyone.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    It is based on a % of calories but it is recommended to get at least 25 grams per day. Just remember the more fiber you eat the more water you need to drink.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    The U.S. Government recommends 25 grams. I've read that we should get at least 35 if trying to lose weight.
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone. I'm definitely a water drinker now that I've given up pop. I'll go in an adjust it. :)
  • jolame
    jolame Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes, more is better. A dietician fiend of mine recommends at least 25 grams a day. She says between 25 and 40 is perfect. Watch out for fiber biproducts like maltodextrin. They really don't benefit your diet.

There are some foods she saw on my diary that have maltodextrin and she suggested I remove their amount of fiber from my daily total.
  • Aintplayin
    Aintplayin Posts: 102
    Options
    It is based on a % of calories but it is recommended to get at least 25 grams per day. Just remember the more fiber you eat the more water you need to drink.

Didn't know that... thanks for the info :)
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    May be dumb but I aim for 24g, as suggested on All-Bran boxes. But I have heard 30g as well. But yes, the more the better.
    Drink lots of water in addition to that, and get your All-Bran fiber fix, and you'll be feeling great!

Here's my recipe from food.com for a tasty, fibre-full treat if you're interested. I'll post it in the recipe mesage boards as well.

1/2 cup all-bran cereal (I use original)
    1 -1 1/2 tablespoon Dutch-processed cocoa powder
    1/3 cup nonfat milk
    1 (1 g) packet Splenda sugar substitute (or preferred sweetener)

Directions:
    Total Time: 5 mins
    1 Sprinkle 1/2 Tbsp of the cocoa powder on the bottom of a small, microwaveable bowl.
    2 Place half of the All Bran into the bowl. Sprinkle another 1/2 Tbsp of the cocoa powder on top, along with half the packet of sweetener.
    3 Repeat step 3 with the remaining cereal, cocoa powder, and sweetener.
    4 Pour milk into bowl on top of the other ingredients.
    5 Nuke the concoction in a microwave for about 20-30 seconds (depending on the microwave) or until the mixture is well heated or steaming.
    6 Mix the warm mixture around (to blend the ingredients).
    7 Enjoy this fat-free, high-fiber, decadent chocolate treat!

http://www.food.com/recipe/decadent-fat-free-chocolate-treat-318124
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The Australian RDI is 30. I'm generally at 25-35.
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I try to aim for about 20-30 grams per day.