How is this possible?

Options
I'm sure this has been asked a ton of times but I just started MFP on Saturday (04/09/11) after my frustration Thursday on going up 2lbs and downloading it on Friday night, my goal is to go from 189lbs to 175lbs losing 1 1/2lbs per week but I have already lost almost 4lbs(04/13/11) since Saturday with a combination of strength training, cardio and staying at about 1500 calories per day how come so much is coming off so fast? (btw I'm not complaining just curious), thanks in advance.

Replies

• RZO42488
    RZO42488 Posts: 64
    Options
    When you initially start to eat/diet right and add strength and cardio you will lose at a rapid pace to start and eventually slow down. Keep it up though..........
  • firefighterswife58
    Options
    I wish I had that problem.. I am eating around 1300-1400 a day, I am on my 4th week & have only lost 5 lbs.. the scale is refusing to move :(
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this has been asked a ton of times but I just started MFP on Saturday (04/09/11) after my frustration Thursday on going up 2lbs and downloading it on Friday night, my goal is to go from 189lbs to 175lbs losing 1 1/2lbs per week but I have already lost almost 4lbs(04/13/11) since Saturday with a combination of strength training, cardio and staying at about 1500 calories per day how come so much is coming off so fast? (btw I'm not complaining just curious), thanks in advance.

Probably water weight.
  • pnkrckpixikat
    pnkrckpixikat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    the first week to 10 days you lose the excess water weight your body is holding onto.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above poster. It comes off fast at first, but if doing it healthy it will slow down to a steady pace.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

Probably water weight.

I agree. If you're not significantly overweight, any dramatic weight-loss over the first week or two is usually water, not fat or muscle.
  • djhavoc
    djhavoc Posts: 43
    Options
    I agree. If you're not significantly overweight, any dramatic weight-loss over the first week or two is usually water, not fat or muscle.

I'm not I'm what you can call slightly skinny fat I am seeing a bit more muscle definition since these 3.4lbs disappeared.
  • djhavoc
    djhavoc Posts: 43
    Options
    I wish I had that problem.. I am eating around 1300-1400 a day, I am on my 4th week & have only lost 5 lbs.. the scale is refusing to move :(

Are you working out?
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options

5 pounds in 4 weeks is a reasonable rate of weight-loss. I know it's hard to accept that in the beginning when you feel like you have such a long way to go, but that really is completely acceptable, especially given that (judging by your profile photo) you don't seem to have a lot of weight to lose.
  • firefighterswife58
    Options
    Yes I am. I work out 3 to 5 times a week usually running, or interval running and doing weights.
  • firefighterswife58
    Options
    Umm in response to the to jp2122 I weigh 215.. so yeah I have alot to lose