Eat like Crap = Gain Weight... DUH!

Options
The scale hit me like a slap in the face this morning! {SLAP!!}

I'm going to WARN YOU, this is a lot of rambling! (Copied from my Blog for more advice :))

Now, why on Earth would I have thought I would have maintained my weight after the way I binged yesterday? I know better than that... I've been on this journey for FAR too long to think that my behavior yesterday wouldn't have had it's consequences. AND BOY DID IT!

Here's my explination... On a "normal day" following a binge I will wake up feeling slugish, exhausted and disgusting. My rings will be turning my finger blue, and i'll have a pimple to remind me of my mishap. When I woke up today I felt GREAT! My rings were lose, I felt skinny when I looked in the mirror (isn't it funny how most times after a horrible day of eating you look in the mirror and see an added 20lbs?) and no new pimples!!!

I step on the scale and {SLAP!!!!} Up 3lbs!!! Again, why am I suprised?? DUH, DUMMY! You ate like absolute HELL! You ate chicken & potato wedges fried in greese (hopefully not lard), you ate candy, you ate meat that is graded the same rating as what is in dog food (taco bell) and you didn't touch a single bottle of water all day! Oh, don't forget the f*ckin 2 cupcakes you ate at 9pm!!!

Geeeeee... I wonder why the scale was up this morning?

I have always been a "binger." I have been "dieting" for almost 2 years now and lost 65lbs. I still have not figured out how to control these binges. Something takes over me, i'm usualy so conscience of what i'm putting into my mouth until something takes over... something I cannot get control of. My hands deliver food to my mouth like it is their job and there is no stopping them. 2 f*cking years and I still do not know how to control my binges. Now, most binges are not nearly as bad as my ENTIRE DAY yesterday, most of the time it will be at the ice cream store (instead of just getting ice cream i'll get a chili dog as well) or a double cheeseburger instead of what I had planned for dinner.

Here's the part I really don't understand... YESTERDAY WAS A GOOD DAY! It was the first day I've enjoyed at work in a LOONG time, my husband and I were both in a great mood when we got home, we went and puchased my new car. IT WAS A GREAT DAY! So why on Earth did I eat like that? Most binge days are due to stress or (negative) emotions.

I'm trying to keep today as low in sodium as possible to try and lose some of what my body is hanging onto. We'll see what happens in the next couple days with the scale.

One bit of advice. I LOVE MY MFP'S SO SO SO MUCH>>>BUT>>> This whole, "It's just one day" thing has got to GO! At least with me it does. Because to me it's not just one day. It's 2-3 times a week. It drives me CRAZY to think where I coiuld be if I put all my efforts of binging into excersise (which I rarely do, i've lost almost all of my weight without it).

I'm going to take the next couple of days to reflect on where I am and where I want to be. I need to take control of my mind and my body when it comes to these binges, I need to find the route cause of them.

Well, If you made it to the end of this blog, I apologize for my ramblings, I needed to get this all out.

Any advice??

Replies

• EmmaRankmore
    Options
    First thing - *hugs*!!! :) Its okay to rant! :)

Second thing - I agree, I can't do 'its just one day' either, because I lose motivation and can't stop myself lol. So I'm having to be pretty regimented in how things go.

Third thing - taking a step back and finding out the root of the problem is possibly a very good idea. Once you know what you are doing and why, it will be easier to eliminate the problem. :)
  • EmmaRankmore
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you like - we can virtually slap each other if required lol ;)
  • EmmaRankmore
    Options
    Oh and another thought while I'm at it - I have binges on good days as well as bad. It doesn't seem to be triggered only by negative emotions. For me, sometimes its so easy just to have that extra cupcake when things are good because I'm just going with the flow.... not a good idea lol :)
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    well, no one loses or gains 3 lbs in one day. If you binged yesterday, I'd think it's the food still in your body and water retention from all the nasty byproducts in the food. Happens to me, so I know. But, I agree cheat days are for the birds, you won't get anywhere thinking like that. But, my big thing is, you can always get back on track, and you can start any time. So, starting now say you're going to keep control and from here on out, make smarter choices. If you make a bad choice for breakfast, work out more and closely manage the rest of your day. That kinda deal.... Anyway, just eat better and drink plenty of water and give yourself a few days, thn weigh back in. I would be willing to guarantee you lose those 3 at least. Your subject line drew me to this topic, because so many people seem so confused about why they aren't losing or are gaining and it's as simple as your topic name: you eat crap, you gain weight. DUH!! lol... Good luck, you can do it and congrats on your loss so far!!
  • Aintplayin
    Aintplayin Posts: 102
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you like - we can virtually slap each other if required lol ;)

You're my kind of people.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I feel like I just wrote this whole blog from top to bottom lol. I don't even have anything to add because it describes me to a T. All I can do is try to put as many days in between my binge days as possible which I have noticed becasue of the report tools seems to be 6 days between a massive binge, which it takes 4 days to get back to the weight I was at. so 6 steps forward 2lbs back. GOD it's so frustrating, but I'll get it!
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    This will sound harsh because it sounded harsh to me when the trainer who ran my boot camp class said it to us .... you do it because you want to do it, you are not in the proper frame of mind and until you are this will continue happen.

I disagree with her to an extent. She is a clean eating no cheating health nazi! She works out like a freak every day (now at 7 months preggo still) and eats foods I can not pronounce and have never even heard of....however, I dont agree with the Proper frame of mind thing. I am in a good frame of mind, I know what is healthy, but I can not deprive myself 100% of "cheats". I feel like when I do, that is when I am tempted to binge.

I dont know you, and certainly am not qualified to make judgements, but do you allow yourself the cheats once in a while? I'm a big fan of the Cheat meal, rather than the cheat day. Maybe if you allow yourself the cheats once in a while and make up for it in other ways (an extra 15 minutes of cardio, skip the rice at dinner, etc...), you will be less likely to binge.
  • hhouger
    hhouger Posts: 3
    Options
    WOW...I could have written this myself!! I had a horrible, very bad no good day yesterday too! There are those days (probably as often as you) that my hands also continue to deliver food to my mouth, and I have NO control. Yeah, I get it, I should be able to control it, but on those days, I really just can't. I am also having a hard time with the "one day" stuff....I have lost 50lbs. - most of which I have done little to no exercise to acheive. I want badly to be able to say I work out everyday and have earned this, but I can't. On the flip side, if I can maintain where I'm at, start to incorporate a little exercise, deal with the binges as they come....not beat myself up, then maybe, just maybe I can start to do som things right? Yes, I ramble too :) Congrats on the NEW CAR!! Don't beat yourself up too bad, we all have bad days, even on good days. You ARE doing something right, or you wouldn't be on here posting! Have a great day everyone!
  • MrsBrosco
    MrsBrosco Posts: 295
    Options
    This will sound harsh because it sounded harsh to me when the trainer who ran my boot camp class said it to us .... you do it because you want to do it, you are not in the proper frame of mind and until you are this will continue happen.

I dont know you, and certainly am not qualified to make judgements, but do you allow yourself the cheats once in a while? I'm a big fan of the Cheat meal, rather than the cheat day. Maybe if you allow yourself the cheats once in a while and make up for it in other ways (an extra 15 minutes of cardio, skip the rice at dinner, etc...), you will be less likely to binge.

I couldn't agree with your above statement more... I do it because I want the food, it sounds AMAZING and I know that I will drop the weight again eventually. My problem is getting rid of this frame of mind. I don't want to gain 3lbs just to have to wait 6 days to lose it again! It could have been a lb of actual fat loss instead of having to work to lose the binge day I had.

Typically if we go out I will let myself have something that I wouldn't normaly have at home. So yes, I do allow myself to splurge for meals everyonce in a while. My problem is if I splurge I turn it into an entire day, i'm not (at all) good about bouncing back from the splurge.

Thank you for all of your advice, it is wonderful :)
  • lilchubbybunny
    Options
    Ok, so i may be sounding crazy here, but this is what i do. If i know i am going to be away from the house for a long time i pack healthy snacks that wont rip apart my diet, like carrot sticks, an apple, banana, pear, or celery. 100 calorie snack packs are a girls best friend! step aside diamonds! But seriously, if you feel like you are going to have a binge day or if you think youll have a temptation day, thats my advice. I tend to binge when i go out to eat, i used to eat a ton of food. Now what i do it i split everything and put half IMEDEATLY into a to go box. That way im not tempted to over eat. Or if i want dessert maybe ill put a little more than half into the box. Its great and it really works. Also, not to sound like a broken record with this but water water water. Its a thing i struggle with all the time but forcing yourself to remember a water bottle when you go out will curb you from buying a pop or something. I hope these tips help, they really work for me!
    Feel free to add me if you'd like. I'd love to encourage you!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i dont believe in tomorrow!! today is the day...we cant wait for something that might not come....
    I like to eat crap too and worse than you and i can maintain my weight or even lose, the key is to gain muscle...,, start pumping some serious iron!!
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Sorry I really can't help! feel and do the same thing. going along great and than make bad choice for a meal, for a day, for a weekend.
    I don't know how to change it or if i can. been at it for almost 2 years exercise and calorie watching... Things I do know beating myself up does not help!!!! it does not make me eat less the next time or stop we from eating like that the next time. So I work very hard at moving on and letting it go, going back to trying to do better. When I just want to do nothing but tell myself what a loser i am I work very hard at looking at the days I did better. We so often only look at the bad and give no credit for the good.
    Remember to give yourself a big high five, hug , pat on the back for all the days that where great. Maybe callling attention to the good days will help! Lets try something new I DEFINITELY know that beating myself up for years has not CHANGED ON SINGLE THING. Might be worth a try.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to a "makeover" of what you are eating! I have to say that I have worked really hard to find ways to make meals that are great tasting and healthy and I don't ever feel deprived at all! Again I am no expert, but I have a lot of great ideas that make me feel satisfied. I don't ever feel like I'm dieting, which is why I think I am able to stick this out. I love to cook and experiment with food and we have company every weekend for dinner. Half the time they dont even know what they are eating is healthy and under 300 cals!
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    *hugs* I've been known to binge as well. And my binge days have been a lot like yours. Candy, fast food, cupcakes. Yup. What you need to learn is that YOU have control over what you eat. You have to constantly remind yourself that the only person in charge of what you eat is you. And if you have the inclination to binge, think of the consequences. Not just the physical consequenses, like gaining weight or the toll it can take on your body by continuing to binge, but the mental stress you cause yourself by binging. You can eat better and stop binging if you put your mind to it, and stop the mindless eating. If you have a great day, celebrate by having an extra large salad or some delicious fruit for dessert with some cool whip.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    When I lose weight I fully intend to cut away loose tissue that will still have shrunken fat cells in it....it is a WAR! Just think of all those little fat cells inside you fighting to survive.......(gollum voice) "feed me! feed me!!!!"

Kill the little buggers!! You are fighting a brave war and sometimes you lose a battle but keep on fighting!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I agree with ejmcam. I find that if I totally deny myself everything I love, I will finally lose it and eat anything I can get my hands on. So, I allow myself dessert every night I just make better decisions about what it is. Sweets are my true weakness so allowing myself a skinny cow every night really makes a huge difference. Regular unhealthy foods do not bother me as much. However, DH (who is also doing this with me) was craving a Pizza Hut pan pizza the other day so we had ourselves a personal pan for lunch and craving with over. I still stayed within my calories for the day so I was fine. That is geneerly how I deal with "cheat" meals is I try to stay within my calories or only a little over. If I just said, oh well, one day does not matter, then I am terrified that one day would turn in to 2 or 3 and I would be right back where I started.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    **SMACK** Don't do it again.

Does that work? :drinker:
  • MrsBrosco
    MrsBrosco Posts: 295
    Options
    **SMACK** Don't do it again.

Does that work? :drinker:

FANTASTIC! Thanks :happy:
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I feel like I just wrote this whole blog from top to bottom lol. I don't even have anything to add because it describes me to a T. All I can do is try to put as many days in between my binge days as possible which I have noticed becasue of the report tools seems to be 6 days between a massive binge, which it takes 4 days to get back to the weight I was at. so 6 steps forward 2lbs back. GOD it's so frustrating, but I'll get it!

Ever think that a binge day isn't bad after all? I mean craving food is a natural occurence right? Why not just incorporate it into your diet and not feel bad about it. This kind of thinking has changed my life. I am down around 50lbs from my heaviest weight. I follow spike84. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle.

It does take 4 or 5 days to return to your normal weight on the scale but its not fat that is causing it. Water retention from extra carbohydrates and sodium, extra food in your intestines, etc are to blame. Every week I eat around 5,000 calories of junkfood on Saturday and still lose fat because it is planned.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat meal every thursday on date night with the fiance,but I also calculate it into my planning for the week.I refuse to deprive myself and have the struggle of denial.But I to feel the effects of that one day.