SUGAR!!!

Options
Hi, does anyone else have this problem, I am going over my daily sugar by a lot but not meeting my daily calorie limit - any ideas on low sugar foods that are tasty.

Replies

• jackieblue65
    jackieblue65 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Same thing here. I'm not doing anything weird either. I like having granola bars and they have a lot of sugar, I guess. Are natural sugars counted here too? Like fruit? I have sugar free yogurt and use splenda. Do you think it is a big thing to worry about?
  • mjmtxk
    mjmtxk Posts: 33
    Options
    My problem too. I'm slowly trying to replace the higher sugar foods with lower sugar foods but it isn't easy. I've always had a sweet tooth. I'm finding it easier to slowly moderate my sugar intake. I don't do well with cold turkey. I think if you keep under your calories and slowly make the change you will be ok. Best of luck!

Micah
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I stopped tracking my sugar because of the same thing. Most of my sugar was coming from yogurts, glasses of skim milk, and fruits. It was irritating me to see that red number when it was all healthy sugar foods. Never mind the Oreos or hershey kisses that would come up every now and again.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    yes daily, and mines from fruit and fruit and fibre
  • lruff1987
    lruff1987 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I think this is something that needs personal discretion, because I go over on sugar a lot too. Now here's the weird part... I don't eat sugar, I have a severe allergy to it. But a couple times a week I make a blueberry smoothie with 1 cup blueberries (no sugar added of course), 1 cup rice milk, 1 scoop pea protein, and that's it! And if I have that, my sugar limit is shot. So I don't really pay too much attention to any of that! If I were to worry about it, I would drive myself crazy! :)
  • Lizzgeorge77
    Lizzgeorge77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The sugar recommendations on here really don't allow for the natural sugars found in fruits and dairy products. So I always go over my sugar limit but am under my total carb limit. One piece of fruit with a plain greek yogurt will send me over my 30 gram per day limit! So don't fret.

However it IS good to limit sugars, especially added sugars in breads, salad dressings, sweets, cereals, and energy bars. Choose minimally processed, "whole" foods to limit sugars naturally. Also use more veggies instead of fruit (veggies have more nutrients anyway), and learn to skip the drizzle of honey or syrup or sugar on foods. For instance now I eat my waffles with a dollup of peanut butter instead of syrup. I always choose plain yogurt and sweeten it with berries. Etc.
  • MommaToFour
    MommaToFour Posts: 106
    Options
    MFP is also including your natural sugars in your count. If you are eating foods high in refined sugar, those are the ones you want to pay attention to. I allow a very low amount of refined sugars in my life. I add virgin coconut oil to my coffee...that's how I gave up the delicious unhealthy vanilla creamer that I use to use. After about two weeks of eliminating refined sugars from your lifestyle it's really smooth sailing after that. Don't get me wrong, once in a while I eat something that is full of refined sugar...but that's just it...once in a while! :)
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My sugar input is always high also!! but this come from the fruits that I eat!!! so to be trufully I really don't worry about it!!!
  • Shellz206
    Shellz206 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    i stopped tracking sugar for that reason. I don't want healthy options - like yogurt, granola and fruits, to count "against" me and get me down, so I removed it from my log all together!
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I have actually stopped looking at sugars on the nutritional value chart but I ALWAYS look for added sugar (or a form of it) in the Ingredients. The problem is that a lot of foods have added sugar (refined sugar is whats bad). I have basically cut out foods that have any added sugar to them (a lot of fruit yogurts have them, so always check... its way better to add your own fruit to the yogurt...I actually eat plain greek yogurt with a tbsp of all natural peanut butter...its good, sweet and LOADED with protein..no added sugar!). Things that are naturally sweet like fruit, 100% fruit juices, etc...are ok (in my opinion) because its natural sugar.