Zumba

Options
Does anyone know the calories burned for Zumba? I've been entering it as aerobics--high intensity.

Replies

• abigailmagoo23
    Options
    it depends on how hard you go at it.... I have burned as many as 1300 and as little as 700 its all up to you! =]
  • cmcqb
    cmcqb Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My zumba instructor toldme high intensity zumba is between 700- 1000. Zumba Gold is between 600- 700. Depends on the person's actual intensity.

Zumba is not listed here so I use aerobics high intensity myself.
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Over 600 cals for sure! i have gotten 612, but thats for me ;-)
  • angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba for about a year now and I burn between 450-600 cals depending on the the intensity of the class. The best way to know is to wear a HRM. I used to log it as dance/aerobic high intensity.
  • Loggerwife
    Options
    I wear a HRM at our class and we average about 800 calories in 60 mins :happy:
  • tinareet
    tinareet Posts: 126
    Options
    bump
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Everyone who is doing Zumba and burning SOOOOOOO many calories....Are you all eating them back???? Tha'ts a LOT of calories burned!!!!

I'm just curious....I am thinking about trying Zumba and could get used to eating all those calories back...Yummmm!!!! That's a lot of PB to enjoy!!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The average person burns around 600 calories for 60 minutes. There are some that get up to a 1000 calories but I think their heart rates just really get up there. I'm a Zumba fanatic but my heart only gets up to 157 normally so in 60 minutes I burn around 630 calories.
  • Nat_a_lie_V
    Options
    I've been doing alot of reading up on this and everyone agrees you burn hundreds of calaroies. The most consistant bench mark is 700-1,000 per hour - from people who have a fancy gadgets. But for each person it's slightly different and will depend on if your doing cardio or flat abs etc..
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I started wearing a HRM to class since Zumba wasn't in here. I found I burned way more than the category I was using (Dance, Modern Twist- something like that). Depending on the songs / routines done during a class, and how hard I push, I burn anywhere between 700 - over 1000 calories in a class. (Sometimes our classes go a little longer than 60 mins due to us begging for more! LOL!)

HRM is the way to go!
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Everyone who is doing Zumba and burning SOOOOOOO many calories....Are you all eating them back???? Tha'ts a LOT of calories burned!!!!

I'm just curious....I am thinking about trying Zumba and could get used to eating all those calories back...Yummmm!!!! That's a lot of PB to enjoy!!
    No, I don't eat them all back. There's too many!! I eat about 200-300 calories back, sometimes half! I'm not totally sold on this "eating all your exercise calories back" thing. I did try it one week, and ended up with a gain that week.

As long as I'm consuming no less than 1200 calories (not NETting), I'm happy.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My instructor told me she burns about 600 cals in an hour. I log it in as hi intensity aerobics too. My stupid HRM won't do the cals burned. It would definitely depend on the intensity you are going with, the moves, and dances you are doing. Around 600 seems to be a safe bet though based on everything I have read on how much people burn. GOTTA LOVE ZUMBA!
    I don't eat all teh cas burned back either as I go to classes at night. I try to eat more during the day so I need to burn some off though when I go to a class or plan to exercise at night. Other times I cokme home and treat myself to soem Oreos and milk or low fat ice cream!!
  • Kc_coastal
    Options
    What do you guys mean by eat the calories back?
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Personally I burn about 450 calories per Zumba session for 60 minutes, but I'm not moving to the the full aerobics part of it. When people say they eat their calories back it means that when they put in their "exercise" on the MFP website, it automatically deducts from your calories eaten the amount of calories burned from exercise. (example: ate 1400 cals today, burned 400 via exercise, ate 400 more calories to equal 1400)
  • Walking2Lose
    Walking2Lose Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    On another site that I go on they don't have Zumba listed either but they say it is like high intensity dancing. I always wear my heart rate monitor when I do Zumba and I usually burn between 300-400 calories. I think it depends on your intensity and you weight/age etc all that info you have to manually put in the HRM.

I would suggest buying a HRM...I've had mine for a year now and I just love it!

Good luck!
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    You can add it as "my exercise" and then it'll show up in your diary as zumba. But then you have to add in your own calories.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I burn between 615 and 640 with a 60 minute class :)
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba all the time and I put a lot into the moves and do them at high intensity. I average 400-600 per class. I think it depends on one's fitness level and how intense the instructor is. The more high-energy instructors and choreography will get me a better burn.