Salt - What a surprise for me!

Options
Wow, I have been on a water weight gain rollercoaster. So today I adjusted my daily food log to track my sodium intake - So far I've entered my breakfast and lunch, and only have 500+ salt mg left for dinner and snack! Well now I know why I can gain three pounds overnight! I think I'll have to keep my eye on this! Anyone else tracking their sodium? Is the 2,500 listed a good number to aim for?

Replies

• heyslc
    heyslc Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have been on a water weight gain rollercoaster. So today I adjusted my daily food log to track my sodium intake - So far I've entered my breakfast and lunch, and only have 500+ salt mg left for dinner and snack! Well now I know why I can gain three pounds overnight! I think I'll have to keep my eye on this! Anyone else tracking their sodium? Is the 2,500 listed a good number to aim for?
  • menjivas
    menjivas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes, sodium makes a huge difference. I think if you are starting off, 2500 is a good goal. However, the Heart Association says that you diet should contain no more than 2000 mg of sodium.
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am tracking sodium...and I am trying to stay below 2,000...but can't. Most "low fat, low calorie" lunch foods (soups, healthy choice meals, etc) all have a fair amount of salt - i think it's to make otherwise bland low cal food taste better to consumers. Unfortunately, I blow through that everyday...so i am trying to eat more potassium (i.e. bananas) to offset that and more water to flush it.
  • lascolaj514
    lascolaj514 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm tracking my salt and have done really well. Because I'm working from home I eat fresh fruits and vegetables alot. I don't eat alot of processed foods. But at least once a week I hit a fast food joint or have some quick packaged food and the salt skyrockets. It's great being able to track it since I have to watch my BP. Jackie
  • heyslc
    heyslc Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    thanks for you help! I'll try to set my goal for the 2500 for now - probably wouldn't hurt to shoot for 2,000!
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options

I also track my salt and it does get hard some days. I TRY to AVOID processed foods to include pre-package meals. I have moved to buying more organic items and have noticed a decrease in my daily salt intake. I occassioanlly still go over but some day's it just can't be help. What I do on those days where I know I'm going to go over is drink more water and less coffee, diet soda, etc. I also use Sea Salt and/or Kosher Salt instead of regualr and that too has made a difference. Hope this helps