Weights vs. Cardio - HELP!

Options
Hi there - I need some advice!! I'm quite new to the whole fitness and exercising thing and I know I need to have physical activity to increase my weight loss. Ok, I get it. I feel so dumb because I don't know hardly anything about weights vs cardio and to make matters worse, I'm getting conflicting information from a personal trainer vs. my doctor.

My trainer says: lifting weights is more important than cardio. Why? he says because lifting weights warms your muscles and burns more calories than say a brisk walk on a treadmill or a run, plus it burns more fat while helping build lean muscle mass. He says lift weights every other day, and do as many reps as you can take without pain, over 10 lbs on each arm and then crunches and squats for the legs etc. Okaaaayyyy.....

My doctor says: cardio is more important than lifting weights because it gets your heart rate going and gets your blood pumping while burning calories at the same time. So he wants me to do brisk walking every day, and LIGHT weights only 1-2x per week, 1-5 lbs per arm. Nothing as strenous as my trainer is suggesting. I told him what my trainer said and he says that's wrong and doesn't agree with his assessment at all.

I am SO confused! I have a recumbent bike and a Gazelle at home, and I like to walk at the mall or outside on good days. I want to buy some new fitness equipment but I don't have a clue what to buy!

My trainer is suggesting to get rid of the bike and gazelle - and instead buy a treadmill, a set of weights, and one of those big stability ball things...lol. See how little I know about this? I don't even know what to call the stuff!

I'm starting SLOW, and I want an OBTAINABLE goal, something that will last long term that will give me results and I won't get discouraged or quit trying because its too much for me to take on at the beginning. I also have a very tightly restricted budget and can't afford a bunch of expensive equipment.

What do I focus more energy on? Weights or cardio?

Which answer is right?? Is there a right answer?? Any suggestions, advice, etc would be appreciated :) Thanks!!

Replies

• wildside79
    Options
    From my meger research - cardio is always more important. I've read numerous things from body builders saying if you only have 45 minutes to work out, make it all cardio. BUT - when you have more time, resistance training is going to help you faster and more in the long run.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    i think most people are going to agree that both need to be done for different reasons---I do both---cardio one day, weights another day.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I try and get both, and don't focus on one as more important than the other. They're both equally important to me.
  • mpdes
    mpdes Posts: 40
    Options
    I am SO confused! I have a recumbent bike and a Gazelle at home, and I like to walk at the mall or outside on good days. I want to buy some new fitness equipment but I don't have a clue what to buy!

My trainer is suggesting to get rid of the bike and gazelle - and instead buy a treadmill, a set of weights, and one of those big stability ball things...lol. See how little I know about this? I don't even know what to call the stuff!

Honestly, to lose weight focus on cardio, and don't forget to do weights. You obvioulsy lose more calories when you are doing cardio but building strong muscles who will later burn more calories is very important. However, I don't really appreciate what your trainer says when he tells you what you should buy. At the end of the day, you should go with what you prefer if you want to stick to your workout routine. Buying weights... fine but treadmill instead or the Gazelle or Bike... it's a question of preference and what suits you best. Personally, I prefer going outside instead of using a treadmill, and i'm a big fan of the eleptical.
    Before buying anything, try it at your gym!
  • beahawk
    beahawk Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Both are important - the difference between the two is that with cardio you burn calories as you're doing to exercises but with weightlifting you can potentially burn calories long after workout has finished because your body is repairing your muscles. With weightlifting you breakdown the muscle tissues and as they rebuild they burn calories and you get stronger.

Cardio will help with weightloss as well but weightlifting may give you a more defined look.
  • adityarajkapoor
    Options
    weights burn at the rate of 6 cal per pound per day...as an afterburn......so u keep reducing throughout the day..eat less then ur diet bmr and alternater between cardio and resistance 6 times a week/rest on sunday like God did. u will win...cheers!!
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    I am a personal trainer and I am with your trainer. We have discussed this over and over again. Cardio is important, I am not saying to get rid of it. I would still do it, but weights are one of the greatest options for losing and you can still get your heart rate up. They way I do weight lifting I am sweating like a mad woman and my heart is up. I am a HUGE advocate of weights. So keep up the cardio, but also make sure to include weight training to get the biggest bang out of your workouts. It is good you have a trainer and hopefully a good one and is teaching you the right way to do it and pushing you beyond your comfort zone to get you the results you want.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I also do both. Definitely more cardio at the moment. Anywhere from 4-5 hours a week of cardio and 1-1.5 hour of resistance training. (I'm training for a half-marathon)

I'm of the belief (right or wrong) that I'm not going to build muscle while I am in weight-loss mode. All I'm trying to do is maintain as much as a can in that department. Once I get my weight under control, I'm ok with gaining some muscle. (Even if that means gaining some lbs back.)
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Sorry and your trainer maybe didn't go to school, but there are more adaptions he didn't tell you about other than burning more cals at rest, which is a HUGE bonus. However, there are many adaptations to weight training that are great for your body. Including slower lactic acid build up-which means you can go harder longer. Just keep a balance of both, unless you want to be a body builder-haha!!
  • stbxadict
    stbxadict Posts: 11
    Options
    Everyone is going to give you a different answer, because we've all 'heard' different things and we all prefer our own ways of working out.

It's great you want to start working out! Like you said, I agree it's important to start relatively slowly. I wouldn't jump into heavy weights and hard cardio sessions. Don't get rid of the bike and gazelle and buy a treadmill if you don't have the funds or don't want to! Fitness should be fun too (and that will help you stick with it long term). You should do things you like (as you mentioned, walking, etc). As your fitness increases, you can make your workouts harder (add more weight/walk faster/etc).

After you start working out for a while, you'll figure out what works best for YOU. I find that a mix of cardio and weights is what's right for me.
  • Annalotte
    Options
    Here is what I do and I have been consistently losing weight and feeling stronger and in nearly great shape. I go to "body pump" (a weight lifting class that works the whole body) 1-2x a week (careful it's addicting!! so fun!) and just work as hard as I can there and then I do some sort of cardio nearly EVERY DAY be it walking, jogging, hiking, taking the stairs at work. Even if I can only get 20 min in walking my dogs I do it. As soon as I got off my toosh and did something, I started losing weight and feeling good. I think you have to do both weights and cardio. Having the increase muscle tone from weight lifting will raise your resting metabolic rate and so you will burn more in general but you also have to have a strong heart and lungs which you will get from cardio. Good luck!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    You'll get various answers here, too. I would actually go with your trainer on this, because that is how I was taught. Lifting weights doesn't do any good, unless you go heavy enough to challenge your muscles. As you begin working out though, you will feel a soreness to your muscles that will last about a week that will be excruciatingly painful, and you may want to quit. Just keep going, and continue to workout as you have planned. You may want to start with only 2 days per week on weightlifting, until the muscle soreness starts to lessen with your workouts, then increase it to 3 days. Do cardio on the days you aren't doing the weights. Your doctor is right in you needing to get your heart rate up with good cardio workouts, but if you don't strength train, you will lose muscle mass as well, which can be detrimental to your goals. Your doctor may have fears of you injuring your self with too heavy of training, or he may just be more of a cardio type of guy. Most people like to lean more one way, or the other. Do what you like to do. They will both help with fat loss, and you need both, but what you concentrate your efforts on is up to you.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Yea they are both important.

BUT What's most important right now though is what you will do. Anything you stick with is most important. I like cardio- it makes me feel awesome and I like it best, so I started with running C25K. Now I've started doing bodyweight training (search "Nerd Fitness Beginner Bodyweight). If you like do a little of them both- 20-30 min ea.

IMHO - SCREW WORKOUT EQUIPMENT :drinker: But seriously- you have equipment, you have a body. Sorry I'm a cheapo :smile: and see no reason to pay to get in shape. Your walking sounds GREAT!!!

Just remember- stick to what you will DO that's the most important thing.

Best of luck!
    ~Gonks
  • Marissa23
    Options
    I cant say im an expert, but from all the advice ive been given and research i've done...i would definitely agree with your doctor. Cardio is MORE important (the way i see it), but that doesnt mean you should completely put off weight and resistance training either. Since youre just beginning, i would definitely put more focus on getting some cardio in for the majority of your week. Keep in mind that there are many other health benefits to regular cardio activities other than just burning calories. Squeeze in weight training 1 -2x a week. And budget shouldnt be an issue....you can do a lot at home with little to no extra equipment. Invest in a stability ball (make sure to get the right size to fit you), 1 or 2 sets of different weights, and a resistance band. And download fitness apps on your phone! Good luck!
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I am a personal trainer and I am with your trainer. We have discussed this over and over again. Cardio is important, I am not saying to get rid of it. I would still do it, but weights are one of the greatest options for losing and you can still get your heart rate up. They way I do weight lifting I am sweating like a mad woman and my heart is up. I am a HUGE advocate of weights. So keep up the cardio, but also make sure to include weight training to get the biggest bang out of your workouts. It is good you have a trainer and hopefully a good one and is teaching you the right way to do it and pushing you beyond your comfort zone to get you the results you want.

This is exactly what my trainer set me up on. Weights 3 x a week and I do 45 min of cardio 3 x a week and sometimes if I have extra time on the days I do weights (depending on my schedule) I may jump on the treadmill for 30 min or so...

So I would agree both are important for different reasons. I would also find out more bout your trainer- certifications and such. I had to swtich trainers 4 times before I found the "right" one for me!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 90 lbs due to cardio, but cardio cannot get you to your final goal. You will also lose muscle with cardio (believe me, I've lost a lot). I am now weight training to finish losing the weight and to get that muscle back that I once had. Don't even bother with the stability ball as ab exercises won't get you abs, only diet and weight loss can do that.

I hate the gazelle with a passion! My wife had one and they are one of the most useless things ever. Why? Because there is no resistance! I would say you don't need to get rid of the bike (if I remember correctly), because you can do things with a bike you can't with a treadmill (such as increase resistance. Also, don't buy new machines, weights, etc. Check out craigslist as there is always work out equipment on there for at least half price, weights less than that.
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    Options

I'm starting SLOW, and I want an OBTAINABLE goal, something that will last long term that will give me results and I won't get discouraged or quit trying because its too much for me to take on at the beginning. I also have a very tightly restricted budget and can't afford a bunch of expensive equipment.

The most effective exercise plan is going to be the one you will actually do. I wouldn't get to hung up in specifics when you are just starting out. Start out with your walks to the mall, using your bike and gazelle. With the restricted budget I would recommend at the most buying some inexpensive barbells. Maybe start out with the weight your Dr. recommend but plan on increasing as you gain strength. Body weight exercises like push up and squats are great free exercises.

Bottom line I would put your early efforts into building and maintaining an active life style. As you become more fit your exercise options will increase and your funds for new equipment can be better allocated.

Make it fun.
  • DaniJeanine
    DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It's all about balance. The bottom line: you need both. Cardio doesn't only burn calories, it helps increase blood flow which is good for your heart and lungs. Weights burn calories and build muscle, which will pay off as you get older and weaker. Also, it's very important that you are never "comfortable" when you work out. If you take a light, leisurely walk you'll burn calories, but not enough. The real results come when you push yourself outside of your comfort zone. I believe that for a woman who is just starting out, you should try a fun cardio class like Zumba or Spinning. This will help you push yourself because there are other people around you having fun and working out (If you're anything like me you probably stair at the clock on the exercise machine waiting for it to be over) i would never do an hour on a treadmill, but I do an hour of Zumba with no problems! As far as weights, try a Body Pump weights class 2x/week--that will help you learn how to use the weights. If that's not an option, consult with your trainer about incorporating weights 2-3 times per week on alternating days until you learn how to use them on your own. Good luck!!! :-)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I would go with your trainer. Doctors are trained in medicine, not other areas. If your trainer is properly trained himself, he will be keeping up on the latest of information out there, and all of it shows that long duration steady state cardio is not a very effective fat burner, especially in the long term. If you have been very sedentary up to this point, any activity will help, but the research out there is showing that some exercise types are much more effective to lose fat than others, and cardio is not near the top.

I really need to find different a different comparison picture for the ladies, but look at these two athlete (if you are female try to imagine the female equivalents). Both are skinny, but most of us would not want to be skinny like the marathon runner, but would rather be skinny like the sprinter.
    Endurance-SprinterAerbicvsAnerobic.jpg

Long duration cardio is the sort of training that a marathoner participates in the majority of the time. Their bodies are built for endurance and that means a minimum of muscle tissue, only enough to run for miles and miles. Sprinters on the other hand are much more toned and their running consists of lots of intervals of sprinting really hard, followed by slower pace portions that allow the heart rate to recover. They also use weight training much more than a marathon runner.

The best fat loss exercise types are Metabolic Resistance Training (also called Cardio Strength Training) and High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). A fairly recent study by Dr. Angelo Trembley at the Physical Activities Sports Clinic in Quebec, Canada compared HIIT to long duration cardio. Once they adjusted for the differences in the amount of time spent in training (a typical HIIT routine will be about 20-30 minutes where a typical long duration cardio from 40-60 minutes) they found that the HIIT burned 9 times as much fat as the long duration cardio. Link to study http://bit.ly/h3T4VS

This is but one study. There are many more, and the findings are becoming quite clear, after decades of pointing to long duration cardio as the weight loss exercise, it is clear it is not. That would explain the many weight loss experts who now say if they were to do things again, they would put less focus on exercise and more on diet change. At least in part the exercise type they were recommending was not the most useful one. There is a place for long duration cardio, but not as the primary exercise type to lose fat. Other exercise types using weights or doing intervals on a tread mill will do much more to burn off fat than long periods spent walking briskly or running at a steady pace.

For more information you can see my blog here at MFP, you can go to http://www.intervaltraining.net/ for more information on Interval Training, and there are lots of other resources here as well like this one http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/213976--the-final-nail-in-the-cardio-coffin

I hope this helps, and may you have great success in losing your fat and getting healthy, lean and toned.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    don't do cardio vs weights.
    do them both.

they're both important, because weight loss needs to be fat loss. If you aren't training with weights, you're going to lose muscle as well.