HEY MFP: what do you all think of this diet.

Options
Fake, phony, fraud, or hmm??
I will admit, the Paleo Diet seems realllllllyyyyy nice. After watching some different things on the health care/ weight loss system it did make me think. What do you guys think?

If you haven't heard about it check out this site http://paleodietlifestyle.com/paleo-101/

Look forward to your comments!

Replies

• mrssturgeon7911
    mrssturgeon7911 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    One of my really good guy friends tried it, he said it worked but got too expensive. It's one of the better diets out there I personally think, because it's not causing you to eat under a calorie goal or count calories at all. I think it's a good diet because it is for the most part nutritionally balanced but at the same time you are eating ALOT of saturated fat. I think if you feel you can do this for life, because it's supposed to be a lifestyle change, then go for it. If you want too do it too lose the weight, then stop then I wouldn't do it. Hope this helps :)
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I do the primal blueprint off and on, which is similar. I feel fantastic while I'm on it, I really do. I still avoid grains as much as I can because the PB really made me aware of how much grains and processed junk slugged me down.
  • biggiwig
    biggiwig Posts: 76
    Options
    Reminds me a little in Atkins Diet with all the animal fat (a little disgusting). And cut out grains??? Well, to me it doesn't look like you can eat like that the rest of your life. Wouldn't work for me. But I guess, this is how cavemen ate like back in the good old days.
  • Lorijo50
    Lorijo50 Posts: 20
    Options
    It doesn't sound good to me, eating all that fat isn't good. Moderate protein doesn't sound good either. It sounds like hype. Back then I have read that people died at around age 40 of old age. Of course they didn't have modern medicine, vaccines and antibiotics. They want to sell their cookbook. How did they know how they ate back then anyhow? I think it was very hard, the hunters would be out days hunting, everyone starving and then they kill something finally and everyone stuffs themselves. They would eat everything of whatever they killed because they were having to be very active. The fat would burn up. But us now, we aren't running around trying to find something to eat, we just drive to the grocery store.
  • jmafte
    jmafte Posts: 46
    Options
    I'm not sure a high fat diet is good for most people. You have to realize that in our time, food in available everywhere. In times that long ago it wasn't the easiest thing to just have food laying around. no refrigerators or freezers. Regardless of your belief in evolution or what not, fatty foods used to be considered to be a great thing, but at the same time since food wasn't as abundant, neither were the calories. High fatty foods would provide more calories. Also, as a general rule of thumb, humans have relatively sedentary life styles. Most of us don't walk everywhere, and chase down animals for food and so forth.
  • iiskipsabeatii
    Options
    Interesting... I just don't know how I feel about taking all that fat in. I am sure it is somewhat better - I mean I can see the benefits, I am just curious how to be so undisciplined... my goal is to lose weight. I am not sure I can see myself losing with this kind of diet, although the menu looks great!
  • iiskipsabeatii
    Options
    I am so glad to have such a great forum to get your opinions. I think I will stick to what is working so far. :]

Yay for 4 pounds! haahaa
  • Clew
    Options
    Just wanted to add, Primal Blueprint isn't all about eating fat. I eat lean proteins on this. The philosophy of what cavemen ate is based upon when agriculture (mainly grains) became mainstream - also the time that most food related diseases showed up.

It's also pretty well proven that grains, simple carbs and processed food spike your blood sugar and then you end up more hungry sooner. I'm not plugging or dogging anyone's gameplan here - just saying I wouldn't knock it if I hadn't considered the data. :flowerforyou:
  • boyslie72487
    boyslie72487 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My future father in law did it and he lost a good amount of weight! He started it in January(?) and he looks really good (that sounds strange =P) He said that he felt great while on it, he's added some restricted foods back into his diet, but still pretty much follows it. Give it a try!
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    in a word DIET :) sorry they never work
  • biggiwig
    Options
    Disagree with the grains. There are plenty of whole grains (like Barley , Buckwheat, etc.), which fill you up for a long time. A bowl of whole grain oatmeal keeps me satisfied for a few hours.
  • Clew
    Options
    I'm sorry, biggi, I meant to say processed grains. Thanks :flowerforyou:
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I guess from what I've seen, I could support it. I think if it's natural food, more or less unprocessed you can't go too wrong in moderation. that being said, I'm a pescatarian, so I don't eat a lot of meat. I think lean meat is a healthy food source, though.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I think a minimally processed diet is best. I like the emphasis on wild/organic meats (which tend to be leaner) and fruits and veggies. The focus on fruits and veggies is excellent, and it works as a diet because it's hard to eat your calories without sugar and grains for carbs. For me personally I am allergic to gluten and intolerant of dairy, so I can understand how their exclusion can be useful for the many undiagnosed intolerant folks.

However, I consider rice, beans, and oats minimally processed and we have been eating them for centuries, I disagree they should be cut out. I feel like they show good data for eliminating all but these three, which makes me wonder if they are just excluded for caloric purposes....

The best thing about the diet other than the focus on minimally processed food is it's not all or nothing, you can be % paleo, and 90% is considered good enough
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I love it!

As soon as I eliminated grains I had no more binges and no more cravings for more, more, MORE!
    For damn sure I can live like this for the rest of my life ... which will be longer because of this "diet". :bigsmile:

Also read "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes and you may change how you feel about grains and fat.
  • biggiwig
    Options
    Clew, yes, the processed grains like white flour, white bread, white rice etc. are really not the best choice. We have to separate the good from the bad grains :wink:
  • iiskipsabeatii
    Options
    I do like the cooking methods though, no more corn oil, bring the butter! haha