pickled peppers and onions

Options
guidnca
guidnca Posts: 64
I am trying to have extras for sandwiches to give it some flava. I don't do mayo.
I was listening to the radio to a chef who had some pickled peppers and onions in the refrigirator to add to sandwiches and that sounded like a great way to add flavor with few calories.
Has anybody pickled onions or peppers before?

I made a batch last night with distilled vinegar, red pepper flakes, peppercorns, and pickling salt...will see in a day or two after they have pickled how they are. I am not expecting this to be a great recipe, so looking for any insights.

Replies

• trottola
    trottola Posts: 14
    Options
    Onions need to be peeled, covered in salt and left overnight, then rinsed and dried. Using whatever vinegar you like (I use malt), heat it gently with the pickling spices and whole dried chillies, or add a teaspoon of sugar if you prefer a sweeter onion. Let the vinegar cool, rinse and dry the onions, then pack into jars and cover with the cold spiced vinegar. Leave ina cool dark place for 3 months..
    If you want a quicker pickle, make sweet pickled cucumber with a mix of white wine vinegar and sugar, pour over thin slices of onion and thin slices of peeled cucumber that have been salted and left to drain for half an hour. Rinse and dry them before adding to the vinegar/sugar mix. This will be raedy to eat in 24 hours, and needs to be kept in the fridge.