Health problem make it hard to exercise

Options
I have a lot of health problems that make doing any kind of exercise really hard on my body including walking. My ribs don't expand enough for my lings so it makes breathing extremly dificult along with getting arthritis in my knees and feet at a young age (I am only 21) and having lots of problems with my back. I am hoping that maybe getting more into shape will help some of these problems since that is what my doctor suggested and thinks will happen. Since I am hoping to have kids in the future I would like to try and see if it helps. I am slightly over weight but not a lot I just can't do much exercising for more than 5 minutes with out it really hurting my body. Any suggestions of easy workouts or what I should do.

Replies

• MMieure
    MMieure Posts: 48
    Options
    Can you swim? I can't swim like most people do. My neck does not turn far enough to breath and swim at the same time. I either need to use a snorkel or I use one of those little paddle boards that keep my head out of the water. It is a good low impact workout.
  • redefiningmyself
    redefiningmyself Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Have you tried swimming? Its one of the easiest things for joints and it can be a really good workout too. :)
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    what workouts did your doc suggest?

walking is a great form of exercise. you can play around with speed and incline - either on treadmill or various areas of where you live.

exercise is fantastic - obviously. but you can lose weight on here without exercising. so if you walk - and keep a super strict diet - you will lose weight.
  • natashamots
    Options
    I agree with the other replies, swimming or water aerobics might be a great fit for you? Also, yoga might be a good fit:) Good luck!
  • de1amo
    de1amo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    i know nowt about it but would gentle yoga aid with breathing difficulties--i can imagine swimming being quite severe on the lungs if done in any meaningful manner!

İ just thought i used to do tai chi and that is gentle movement and the instructors who are proficinet have great strength and stamina--the very old chinese do it so it must be gentle--
  • Carolynsb3
    Options
    Our local community center teaches a modified yoga class where the instructor helps you sub for certain poses that are painful. You could always see if your community center offers something like that. Also even if you do ten minutes of exercise then walk away, and do ten minutes later on, and then do another ten later, you have still hit 30 minutes for the day. Good luck. :-)
  • LoveDLady
    LoveDLady Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I know other have said swimming so I'll be even more specific, breast stroke is easy on the body and and the lungs and works out your arms and legs equally! plus puts no strain on your next from breathing. I would just go slow and try to go as long as you can instead of working hard until you're at the point of your lungs hurting. good luck.
  • Shadow611
    Options
    Well I bought a treadmill thinking that walking would help but its heard on my lungs and I think swimming might have that same effect. But I never thought about yoga and I like the thi chi Idea. I will have to try and fing a place close by that does them. Thanks for the input.