How long after having a meal should I wait before I begin ex

parisianskies002
parisianskies002 Posts: 88
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
I don't usually have big meals before a workout but since I am going in the evening at 7pm I was wondering whether at least an hour and a half is enough to wait? l only had a bowl of stirfry with chicken & l will be having a slice of toast afterwards to kickstart my metabolism again.

l am asking because last time l went after eating l ended up getting a really bad stitch on my sides and felt a bit sick, which is probably because l rushed my food and went to the gym straight away because l was in such a ruch.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    I wait no less than an hour so I don't feel sick
  • karla1083
    karla1083 Posts: 19
    Yes, definately an hour.
  • chelle1a
    chelle1a Posts: 143 Member
    Usually an hour is good.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Yep at least a hour
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    It depends on what you eat. Certain things, like carbs, digest quickly and you can go in about 30 minutes. Other things, like proteins take longer to digest so you should wait about an hour. Make sure you have a whey protein shake made with real sugar after your workout to replenish your glycogen stores and help your muscles recover and repair themselves.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    I believe the hour is the usual bench mark. I think it depends on how much you eat as well.

I have to admit, when I first read the title, i put an extra letter in front of the last word :blushing:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    When exercising (especially intense exercise) your digestive system will shut down as your body tries to handle the stress of the exercise.

I would say 2-3 hours. But you can have something light before - something with good carbs like a piece of fruit. Not all carbs digest quickly but fruit does (an apple takes about 30 minutes).

I always have some protein after (very important for weight training). Before you want to get in some carbs for energy and a bit of protein will help the protein afterwards.

Sometimes I'll have 1/2 of a protein bar (Pure Protein has a good carb/pro balance) and the other half after.

Have the protein immediately after exercise and wait about an hour after exercise to eat dinner.
This discussion has been closed.