Running outside vs treadmill

Options
This may be a stupid question, but since I've never run on a treadmill before, i really don't know the asnwer.

Is 5k on a treadmill the same as 5k run outside as far as comparing the benefits and caloric burn of the two workouts?

Replies

• mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm not real sure, but I do know that I'm having a very hard time running outside vs running on my treadmill. I can run a 5K on my treadmill no problem and burn anywhere from 550-600 calories, but I can barely run 2 blocks outside without getting winded. Good question though!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty much the same until you get above 9 mph, which is where wind resistance can start to have an effect. I definitely think it's more fun outside and the time goes by faster if you don't have something to distract yourself on the treadmill.
  • dixiejeep
    dixiejeep Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm not real sure, but I do know that I'm having a very hard time running outside vs running on my treadmill. I can run a 5K on my treadmill no problem and burn anywhere from 550-600 calories, but I can barely run 2 blocks outside without getting winded. Good question though!

I AM THE EXACT SAME WAY!!!!!
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but I'm the same way as Mandijo. I can run a lot longer on a treadmill than I can outside.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Running on a treadmill is different from running outside. If you run on a treadmill, it is best to give it an incline of at least 1. Generally treadmills tilt forward. You will burn a few more calories running outside because you have factors such as temperature and wind resistance.

I would do a Google search to get a more accurate answer.
  • Bavaria100
    Options
    Hi,

I don't know for sure but i assume that you burn more when you run outside. The treadmill is flat and has the rotating belt, which kind of helps. When you run outside you will always run on a slight uneven surface and sometimes slightly uphill or up a curb of a pavement.

S
  • Jesyka_Gee
    Jesyka_Gee Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Running outside gives you a better advantage because of natural inclines (unless if you're on a track) and wind resistence. The higher the resistence the more you have to push yourself, which then benefits your muscles and helps you burn more fat/calories. Outside is always the best alternative - but if you have allergies or asthma such as myself :sad: lol treadmills are the best choice. You can still add an incline to treadmills to give you that extra challenge.
  • steffmd25
    steffmd25 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have been training for a 5K since January. I run on a treadmill for 5K about 5 times a week. Well my 'real' 5K was on Saturday. I was very nervous about how well I would do because I hadn't been running outside. Well it was AMAZING, I ran it in 27 minutes which is a little less than the time I was doing it on the treadmill. But to answer your question, they are the same thing, running outside could be more difficult because of the weather, or even hills.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have been training for a 5K since January. I run on a treadmill for 5K about 5 times a week. Well my 'real' 5K was on Saturday. I was very nervous about how well I would do because I hadn't been running outside. Well it was AMAZING, I ran it in 27 minutes which is a little less than the time I was doing it on the treadmill. But to answer your question, they are the same thing, running outside could be more difficult because of the weather, or even hills.

[offtopic] Congrats on your 5K! I, too, have been training since January but my first is still 6 weeks away.[/offtopic]
  • cculver78
    cculver78 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is what I have heard about why it is easier to run on a treadmill....

The motorized belt helps do some of the work in running/jogging/walking because the belt pulls your leg back for you. So you are technically doing a little less work on a treadmill.
  • jmathews
    jmathews Posts: 196
    Options

My time is always better running outside vs the treadmill...9 minute mile outside and can barely do a 10 on the treadmill.
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but I've been doing the C25K program and just finished on sunday. Yesterday I attempted my first outside run and I can tell you that I'm definitely sore in different areas than I was on the treadmill. Not that I didn't get sore from the treadmill too, it's just different. I would think the only difference as far as calorie burn would just depend on the terrain outside, hills vs. flat, etc... if you're exerting yourself more going up hills then your calorie burn will be higher than running flat on the treadmill.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Outside is more exciting. Smell the flowers, see the sights, and occasionally get chased by dogs.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Outside is more exciting. Smell the flowers, see the sights, and occasionally get chased by dogs.

this

also dreadmills are known for being inaccurate on their pace/distance measurements

I actually feel bad for people I see on the 'mill (bad that they haven't discovered the joys of running outside)
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options

this

also dreadmills are known for being inaccurate on their pace/distance measurements

I actually feel bad for people I see on the 'mill (bad that they haven't discovered the joys of running outside)

I agree. I hate hate hate running on a treadmill. As a matter of fact, I didn't run all winter because I hated the treadmill so much.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    NO. At least not for me. I started C25K and did four weeks of it on the dreadmill. On the 5th week I decided to run outside because it was nice out. NOT EVEN CLOSE. I couldn't get a block without dying. The treadmill can't accurately account for terrain nor can it account for weather or actual resistance in my opinion.

So I started over on C25K and did all outside this time. I burn way more calories running outdoors then I ever did on the dreadmill. I haven't been on one since I discovered outdoor running. Now I run up to 4 days a week rain or shine and I love it. Running outdoors is so much more fun and challenging.

I'm on week 7 of C25K and have my 5K coming up in a few weeks. Run outdoors!
  • natalieklann
    Options
    Hi! when forced to run on the treadmill, I typically set my incline to 1-2% to help add some more resistance to be more comparable to running outside. I live in a very flat state, but it was still recommended by Runner's world.

As other people have stated, wind resistance, uneven surfaces, climate are all factors that make running outside more difficult.
  • k_harvey
    k_harvey Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like to do both but I have been doing a "tread and shed" class at the gym 2x a week that is great because we have to do sprint intervals, rolling hills, and sometimes just straight up on the incline. It is a great workout and pushes me harder than I would go on a treadmill myself or outside. To answer your question though, the instructor has told us that an incline of 1.5 is the most like being outside on a flat surface. We never go lower than that except during cooldown. Hope that helps!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

I agree. I hate hate hate running on a treadmill. As a matter of fact, I didn't run all winter because I hated the treadmill so much.

luckily I'm in So Cal so I can run outside all year long - we do get some chilly winter mornings (mid 30s), but I can still usually get away with shorts, long sleeves & gloves
  • Marcus_E
    Marcus_E Posts: 124
    Options
    The treadmill can be misleading a bit. It offers better support for your knees and provides a lower impact on your bones initially and to be honest, is not a bad idea to start on if you haven't been for a run for a while. I had knee issues and learnt that using the treadmill helped me soften the initial impact, but the core benefits came from running outside. You will need adjust the incline by at least 1% on a treadmill to get a similar scenario to outdoor running.

At the end of the day, its your preference. The main aspect to get the true benefit from running is to alternate your speeds, lengths and time.. Throw in some short sprints as well - quickens weight loss. One idea of running outside is being able to sprint between two points, then jog then sprint - this alternation is the best form of weightloss and for toning as well (if only I practiced what I preached :) )

As a guide, I have cut and paste from About.com for you:
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/treadincline.htm

Treadmill vs. Outside Running - Is It the Same Workout?
    In general, you will get a fairly comparable workout on a treadmill as you do outside as long as you maintain the same effort level. You can usually judge this based upon your heart rate or your rating of perceived exertion). If, however, you run the same pace on the treadmill as outside on flat pavement, you will expend less energy on the treadmill. This is due to the lack of wind resistance, terrain changes and because the treadmill belt helps propel you along. In order to compensate for the treadmill's momentum, studies have found that simply raising the treadmill incline to 1 percent will better simulate the energy expenditure of walking or running on flat pavement outdoors.

Treadmill vs. Outside Running - Should You Train on a Treadmill?
    If you are training for an outdoor running or walking event, obviously, you will want to train for the race conditions, which means getting outside. It's fine to do some of your training on the treadmill, but try to do at least 60 percent of it outdoors in order to train your body for the real deal. You'll be much more prepared for the demands on your muscles and joints by running on varied terrain if you run outdoors. You'll also become accustomed to running in varied weather conditions and learn what to wear for different temperatures. Another important consideration is that the treadmill doesn't have any way to simulate downhill running, which is essential if you are running an event that has uneven, or varied terrain. Similarly, there aren't turns on a treadmill, which is another important adaptation your body needs to make if you plan to run outside.

There are, however, a few great reasons to use a treadmill as a part of your training.

Treadmill Running Pros:

* No weather, temperature, or terrain issues.
    * Can stop anytime you need or want.
    * Can workout while watching tv if you like.
    * Smooth, cushioned surface is easier on the joints .
    * No concerns about personal safety.

Outdoor Running Pros:

* You can run anywhere.
    * It's much more functional for daily activities.
    * You get to enjoy the scenery, get fresh air, notice changing seasons, weather, and enjoy nature.
    * It's generally more challenging and you expend more calories.
    * It's likely more motivating. You must complete a distance goal and can't just stop & get off.
    * Most people report a greater feeling of accomplishment running outside.
    * You can take new routes and see something new everyday.

Hope this all helps you and others. And PS - Congrats on the distance as well.. Keep it going, next you'll be doing marathons :)