Food Commercials

Options
As I sit here this morning drinking my coffee and enjoying my morning time on MFP....I have the tv on....and I am just now noticing (how did I miss this before) the abundance of food commercials. Hot dogs, burgers, chocolate, candy, ice cream (in the morning?!?!?).....oh, and wait....in the middle of all that artery clogging-calorie-laden-nutritionally void food.....there is a V8 commercial.
It's no wonder that us Americans have such a battle with obesity. Every time we turn around we are bombarded with commercials that put fast food in a flattering light, promote backyard BBQ's with 8 tons of Ranch dressing and Mayo, and tell us that Ben & Jerry's WILL solve our personal problems.
Where are the commericals for fruits and vegetables? Where are the commercials explaining the importance of whole grains and lean proteins? Why must every vegetable on tv be covered in cheese....??
Now, I am in no way accusing my television of making me fat. I did that all on my own....by eating too much of too many things I knew were not good for me. BUT, what about all the people who don't know? What about our young kids and teenagers who are not educated about proper nutrition and exercise. The ones who don't realize that peanut butter has good fat....(there is good fat?? and eating a Snickers bar is not going to cut it...) How do WE start to change this? How can we make a change?

Oh.....letsmove.gov......just had a 15 second spot for "keeping your kids eating healthy and exercising".....which I appreciate....but where is the explaination of what that entails? Not everyone knows what "eating healthy" means. Hmmmm.....

Okay, that is my rant for the day. Had to share...wondering what other's thoughts are....

Replies

• dcrabill10
    Options
    And the timing of them is impecible. Always seem to be right whenb you're the hungriest. HAHA...Just got home from work, just woke up in the morning, right after working out (I get hungry when I work out), etc...
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I say let people make their own mistakes. If you're too stupid to know that you can't eat pizza and twinkies every day, then you deserve what you get. As for children, it is ultimately the responsibility of the parents to teach their kids about proper nutrition. I don't have any problem with this being included in the school curriculum, but I'm frankly sick of the government deciding that because SOME parents are lazy and stupid, it means ALL parents must be prohibited from deciding whether or not their kids can have a Happy Meal every once in a while.

If people would use their own common sense and stop buying this crap, there'd be fewer commercials because the companies wouldn't have the money to produce them. But if that's what people want to spend their money on, well, it is (sort of) a free country.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    I say let people make their own mistakes. If you're too stupid to know that you can't eat pizza and twinkies every day, then you deserve what you get. As for children, it is ultimately the responsibility of the parents to teach their kids about proper nutrition. I don't have any problem with this being included in the school curriculum, but I'm frankly sick of the government deciding that because SOME parents are lazy and stupid, it means ALL parents must be prohibited from deciding whether or not their kids can have a Happy Meal every once in a while.

If people would use their own common sense and stop buying this crap, there'd be fewer commercials because the companies wouldn't have the money to produce them. But if that's what people want to spend their money on, well, it is (sort of) a free country.

When has the government prohibited all parents from buying their kids happy meals?
  • dcrabill10
    Options

Ah yes - the token government response. I just love (sarcastically) when someone can take a simple post and turn it political. What the hell does McDonald's have to do with the government???