Tofu Recipes?

Options
danibee41989
danibee41989 Posts: 222 Member
Hi all, looking for some tofu recipes. Ive only had it once and never made any before. Any delicious low fat recipes?

Replies

• bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I usually cut it up and either sprinkle it with stir-fry or other "meat" seasonings or soak it in some low sodium soy sauce and then bake it. There are more sophisticated things you can do with it, but I tend to enjoy it this way- I once saw this idea (with the addition of cracker crumbs) in a cook book as a substitute for chicken nuggets and I've been eating it this way ever since.

ooh.... I forgot I also add it to curry packets from the grocery as though it were chicken. Pretty tasty.
  • andrea10191
    andrea10191 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's really good marinated (any marinade you would use for meat will work) then stir fried with fresh veggies. Serve it over brown rice for a really filling meal. Firm or extra firm works best for this. Its also good grilled - extra firm, marinated on skewers about 5-10 minutes.
  • 1234lbsgone
    1234lbsgone Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I like to marinate it in bbq sauce and bake it. My daughter likes it breaded and baked. Its like chicken nuggets. I usually throw it under the broiler for a min or two on each side to crisp it up.

Sorry I don't have any actual recipes, I like to wing it. Basically, I slice it and place it on a paper towl lined plate, withanother plate on top and a can of anything. It squeezes out the water. Takes about 20 minutes, but if I'm in a hurry maybe just 10. Then marinate it in anything you like for 20-30 min. It will take on the flavor of whatever it is in. Then bake at 350 for 25 minutes, fry it or broil it.... or bbq it!

Checkout vegetariantimes.com type tofu into the search box and you will get thousands of ideas.
  • Jessaamine
    Jessaamine Posts: 111
    Options
    I like to use fried tofu and broccoli in a stir fry:

2 tbs soy sauce (20 cal)
    2 tbs mirin (70 cals)
    1 tbs corn starch (30 cals)
    1/2 tbs sugar (24 cals)

That makes a light glaze for an entire skillet of food (6 servings). My husband prefers a thicker glaze so we occasionally double this. This glaze works with anything : )
  • MarciMoorehead
    Options
    Here are my three favorite tofu recipes:

Tofu Caesar Salad

TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
    SERVINGS: 4

FAST
    HEALTHY
    STAFF-FAVORITE
    Ingredients
    1. 6 ounces soft silken tofu, drained
    2. 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    3. 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    4. 1 1/2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus more for serving
    5. 1 oil-packed anchovy fillet, drained
    6. 1 small garlic clove
    7. 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    8. 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    9. Salt and freshly ground pepper
    10. One 14-ounce package firm tofu, drained and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
    11. Vegetable oil, for frying
    12. 1/2 cup cornstarch
    13. 2 romaine hearts (1 pound), torn into bite-size pieces
    Directions
    1. In a blender, puree the silken tofu with the olive oil, lemon juice, the 1 1/2 tablespoons of Parmigiano, the anchovy, garlic, Worcestershire and mustard; season the dressing with salt and pepper.
    2. Wrap the firm tofu in paper towels and press out some of the water. In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of vegetable oil until shimmering. In a bowl, toss the tofu with the cornstarch until coated. Add the cubes to the oil and fry over moderately high heat, turning once, until crisp, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the croutons to a paper towel–lined plate; season with salt.
    3. In a large bowl, toss the romaine with the dressing and two-thirds of the croutons. Transfer the salad to plates and top with the remaining croutons. Sprinkle with Parmigiano and serve.

Tofu Mayonnaise (You'll never want store bought mayonnaise again! In fact I like this better than Julia Child's Mayonnaise recipe!!!)
    Makes 1½ cups
    o 1 c firm or silken tofu
    o 1 small clove garlic, minced
    o 1 t good mustard
    o 2 t cider vinegar
    o ¼-½ t salt
    o ¼ c oil (olive and/or canola)
    Blend the everything but the oil for a few seconds.
    Without turning off the blender or food processor, slowly pour in the remaining oil. As soon as it is mixed in, turn off the blender and transfer the mayonnaise to the container.

Mock Egg Salad (I've made these into finger sandwiches for parties and no one can tell the difference)

o ½ c tofu mayonnaise
    o several T red or green onion, finely minced
    o 1 stalk celery, finely minced
    o 2 T fresh parsley, minced
    o 1-2 T Dijon mustard
    o dash salt and pepper
    o pinch curry powder or turmeric (for color)
    o 1 pound tofu
    Combine everything but the tofu, then crumble the tofu over this mixture and stir until blended. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and serve.
  • greengraci
    Options
    This is really different from everyone else's suggestions, tofu cream pie: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/easy-chocolate-tofu-pie/Detail.aspx

For bonus points, make it vegan- only animal products contain cholesterol. and the sugar- you may want to opt for the raw kind.

I must say- a friend and i made it a few days ago and i ate most of it!IT WAS DELISH!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I get the firm tofu. Cut into cubes (1/2-3/4in) sit them on a rack above papertowels to draw out some excess water. Then soak in balsamic vinegar, sprinkle with onion, garlic powder and bake. If you have access to other flavored vinegars you can get a real multitude of flavors. Great as snack or tossed with salads.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Facon and buffalo tofu reign in my house.

Facon
    2 T water
    2 T nutritional yeast
    1 T maple syrup
    1 t liquid smoke
    onion and garlic powder to taste

Drain, slice tofu and marinate in the above.
    Broil in oven for 30 minutes and flip
    Cook until crunchy

Buffalo

Drain tofu and brown in a non-stick pan
    Cook in buffalo sauce until goey
    serve with rice and vegetables
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Check out the Giant Book of Tofu Cooking, I got it from my library. Tons of tasty recipes.
  • VeganMinx
    VeganMinx Posts: 11
    Options
    I just recently used tofu for low fat veggie calzones & vanilla cream

Vegan Cream:

1/4 cup Mori-Nu silken-firm tofu
    2 Tbs +1 tsp non-hydrogenated vegan cream cheese (I used Follow Your Heart Brand)
    1/2 Tbs vanilla extract
    Stevia to taste

Blend the tofu until smooth, then add the other ingredients and blend again.

Basic Pizza Dough

1 pkg rapid rise yeast
    3/4 cups hot water

2 cups bread flour
    1 tsp sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    3 tbs olive oil

Pour yeast in a large bowl. Add water and stir to dissolve. (Since using rapid rise there is no reason to wait. If using regular yeast wait 15 minutes then proceed).

Add sugar, oil, and salt to the yeast & water mixture. Then slowly add flour until dough starts to form. Once you have added all thr flour and your dough has formed, transfer it to a lightly floured flat surface and knead it until it is smooth. (If dough is sticky just add tablespoonfuls of flour to it one at a tiime).

Oil a bowl and place dough inside. Cover with warm cloth and put some place warm to rise (inside microwave or oven that is NOT on). Let rise approximately 1 hour. Gently degas ball. Then using a rolling pin, roll dough out and cut into sections (number varies by personal preference on size. I made 4 personal calzones with each dough I used - and I used two).

Cauliflower-Tofu Ricotta

Adapted from Appetite for Destruction, Isa Chandra Moskowitz.
    Note: This makes ALOT - I filled 9 personal calzones and still had extra!!

1 medium head of cauliflower, washed and chopped into chunks
    1 pkg extra firm tofu, drained and crumbled (by hand)
    1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
    2 tbs lemon juice (fresh squeeze preferred)
    1/2 tsp fresh ground salt
    1 tsp garlic, minced
    1 tsp chopped basil
    1 tsp oregano
    2 tsp olive oil
    Fresh ground pepper, to taste

Peppers, chopped small - I used yellow, red, and orange.

Arrange chopped cauliflower on a baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 400F for 10 minutes. Flip cauliflower chunks and bake an additional 15 minutes.

While the cauliflower is baking. Drain and crumble tofu in a medium bowl. Add nutritional flakes, 2 tbs fresh squeezed lemon, and seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic, basil, oregano). Mix well wiith a fork. When cauliflower is done, run it through a food processor (I used my commercial blender), then add it to the tofu mixture. Use a potatoe masher to mash the two together. Lastly, add peppers to the mixture and mix with spoon or fork.

To make the Calzones:

Drop tablespoons of cheese mixture onto the rolled out sections of the dough. Then fold dough over and seal with fork (or fold the edges). Lightly press to flatten in needed and place on parchment paper lined baking sheet (If you dont have or use parchment paper spray or oil pan so that they dont stick!)

Bake at 350F for 35 - 45 minutes, or until drust is light golden brown. Enjoy!