How Often/How Much Do YOU Workout?

Options
I'm having a hard time adjusting to the "workout" portion of losing weight.

- How many days a week do you workout?

- And for how LONG do workout a day?

- Also, what types of workouts do you do [the name(s) of the exercise(s)] and how have they affected your weight loss?

- How long was it before you started seeing results?

Thanks for answering (:

Replies

• kdao
    kdao Posts: 265
    Options
    - How many days a week do you workout? 7 days a week. 4 days of a hard work out and 3 days of a super light work out.

- And for how LONG do workout a day? On hard work out days, its between 1-3 hours and on the short days 30 minutes.

- Also, what types of workouts do you do [the name(s) of the exercise(s)] and how have they affected your weight loss?
    Spinning, road cyclist, circuit training.

- How long was it before you started seeing results? It took a good solid 4 weeks to start moving in the right direction.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    everyday either walking or walking / running combined, sometimes cycling and 20 mins 30 day shred, and 10 mins gym ball:smile: have had inch loss and weight loss, in the last 6 weeks since starting on here
  • robertsj1998
    robertsj1998 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I workout 7 days a week. 1hr on the elliptical. As far as how it worked for me. I lost 57 lbs & 33 inches in 7 months. It toned me in ways I did not think I could be toned. Good luck!
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Is not often enough an answer? LOL.

Honestly though, if you include running as working out then I probably work out 5-6 days a week. My goal is to run 3 or more times a week and I tend to hit that on a regular basis. My other goal is to lift 3 days a week. I've been struggling with that though.

It depends. If I'm lifting, I keep it under 45 minutes. Anything more longer than that is not intense enough for me. If I'm running/walking that could go up to 1.5 hours a day.

My current lifting routine is all kettlebells. There are too many exercises to name but if you youtube it you'll see what I mean. I find that I can burn as many calories in half the time as I do in regular weight lifting.

I've been doing this since January 3rd of this year and I saw results within the first week in pounds lost. I started to see inches lost over the next few months.
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    -Erry day
    - At least fifty minutes
    -Generally I warm up for five on the bike, lift for a half hour to forty five minutes, and then do ten to fifteen of cardio.
    -When did I first notice it? After my first work out when I couldn't hardly put my shirt on because my arms were so swollen. Sold.
  • Brittney24
    Brittney24 Posts: 105
    Options
    It depends on the week for me, probably I'd say at least 3 times a week when I'm busy.

Time also depends on how busy I am. Sometimes it's an hour total, sometimes it's only 30 minutes.

I use my elliptical at my house then some days I'll do a full strength day which takes about 25-30 minutes on its own. I recently tried the 30 day shred videos and they kick your butt too, lots of sweat and pain:P

I think I'm more toned, it's more so building muscle mass so when the fat comes off I look good underneath haha. I've lost 7 pounds in 3 weeks but I don't "see" results. I need to take measurements more.

Mostly exercise just helps keep me healthy so I like to do it 1 because you get to eat more in that day since you try to eat back your exercise calories and 2 it helps me not be so out of shape.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    6 days, 4 days of intemintenat strength training, and 2 days of nothing but cardio,

also, on the days I do intermintant strength training, I use the eliptical after my work out.......Since Im there already, I just kinda make myself use it to finish the work out off.......

Im kinda in a plateau, and am in the process of increasing my strength training and inceasing my protein intake..........Lloyd
  • kterickson1988
    kterickson1988 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I know when I go to the gym I alway so cardio (elliptical, treadmill, bike ect) for 20-mins to 30 mins. Then I work certain parts of my body (arms, legs, abs ect) on different machines for another 30mins. Then I normal do the treadmill for 20 mins, the first half at a faster pace n slow it down to bring my heart rate down. For me this has been very effect, hope it helps.

PS. I try to go 3-4 times a week n do it for at least an hr. You need time to rest in bewteen so you can heal.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I try to do something every day. Weekdays are the most difficult because I won't (can't? lol) get up that early to work out so evenings are all I have. M-F I try to do 30-45 minute bicycle rides (mostly street, some trails if possible) and weekends I try to do longer rides and maybe a run here and there (oh, and yard work...that counts!). I also try to squeeze in ~20 minutes of yoga/stretching every day (though it's more like every other day).

For crappy weather days (if you couldn't tell, I like being outside :smile: ) I use 30 Day Shred (snore, but only ~25 minutes) or a boxing game we have for the PS3 Move.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Everyday

Anywhere from 20min. to an hour

Mostly walking or running depending on the day.

Physically I started feeling results the first week. Visually, I didn't see results until about 15-20lbs. down.
  • Thorneapple
    Thorneapple Posts: 154
    Options
    Four days a week at the gym: 2 days of cardio for 60-75 minutes (cycling, elliptical & treadmill), 2 days strength training for 30-40 minutes (variety of weight lifting exercises, plus planks, squats, lunges, push-ups) with 10-20 minutes of treadmill & cycling

2 days a week of brisk walking (4-5 mph) for about 2 hrs

I'd say it took 4-6 weeks to see some definite signs of improvement.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Three or Four times a week:

I alternate a weights day - 10 minutes warm up (Running or Rowing), 45 minutes of 15 reps * 2 per exercise, 30 minutes Hard CV (elliptical or Running)

And a CV day: 15 minute warm up on the rower, (10 minute steady state, 5 minute alternating between flat out and gentle every 30 seconds) then 30 minutes to 1 hour of running, 30 minutes elliptical, 15 minutes warm down on anything. This is all done 'as fast as I can' - the assumption has to be that when you finish on the machine you are done for the day - nothing to reserve energy for.... 5-10 minutes break between machines. Running is always on a gradient - 0.5 to warm up, then 1 - 2 depending on the length of the run and how tired I am.

- I just started outdoor training today - 8km run: 4km at 'race speed' which is 7.5 mph (I want to hit 8.5!) 3km of alternating sprint/jog every 200m or so, 1km at race speed to warm down... That was TOUGH!

(Edit) - I had slow weight loss to start with but every day I could see my performance improving - then suddenly I started after 4 weeks dropping the lbs too.. its been a steady 1-3 lb a week since: I don't really care too much what the scales say any more and focus on getting fit: the weight/toning will follow.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    weights on MWF
    cardio on tues and thursday
    and soccer on sat or sunday

so pretty much daily. i throw in a rest day when i can. Atleast one day a week I'll take a day off.
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I work out at least 5 times a week, i walk, use my Wii, do weights and jog on my rebounder. The minimum i do is 30 minutes but as i feel stronger and fitter i am working out for much longer.
  • SomeLouisvilleGuy
    SomeLouisvilleGuy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    3-6, depending on my week, but the average is 4.

45 minutes minimum on the elliptical. Typically it's 60 minutes on the elliptical plus either upper or lower body strength training. Some days it takes me two hours. Totally worth it. :)

My trainer says that doing weight training in addition to cardo will help you burn more calories. On the days that I only do cardio, the next time I go i usually do upper and lower strength the next visit. Once I started strength, I typically have lost a pound more a week.

About two weeks. I'm down 17 pounds since January 1. I usually count my calories during the week, and tend to be a bit more relaxed on the weekends.
  • mark50674
    Options
    Sign up for a triathlon and do a training plan for the race. You won't be able to keep from losing weight! I run, bike, or swim every day for at least an hour to hour and a half. I burn over 1000 cals per day on exersice. It's a little extreme but works great.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time resting on Rest Days, so 7 days per week. But I do limit rest days to light walking.

Usually 45-75 minutes over two workout sessions.

I walk at lunch on M/W/F. I do HIIT/MRT on T/Th/Sa (was basic strength work until last week). I do My Fitness Coach or EA Sport Active on Wii (yoga, aerobics, strength, etc depending on day). I also love Wii Tennis.

My resting heart rate has dropped 10 bpm in 5 months... and my ticker below shows inches lost. I don't think it was that long before I started seeing those changes.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Usually 5 days a week, 2 times per day.

Mornings: 30 minutes cardio at home on treadmill/ elliptical/ stationary bike and 15-20 minutes of power yoga

Evenings: M-W-F CrossFit at the gym T-TH Zumba/Spinning at the gym or more cardio at home for 45-60 minutes

Weekends: Cardio and or yoga. Or nothing if I'm feeling burnt out.

I strive for enough workouts to equal working out everyday.

It took -20 pounds for ME to see a significant difference. Others saw it at around -10 pounds.
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I work out pretty much daily.

Go to the gym 3-4x a week for running on treadmill-I do run/walk intervals and strength straining. I keep my weights low and my reps high. Plus get in a 150-250 crunches

non-gym days I either stick to stepping on the wii fit board with the lift I got for it I do that while watching tv, for 30-60 minutes, then walk/jog outside for 30 minutes or 2 miles.

Tuesdays I watch biggest loser and like to snack while watching, so I do the wii fit board w/ the lift while watching-usually doing high knee lifts and do crunches, reverse crunches, squats, and lunges during commercials.

When I started working out in Oct. I could NOT touch my toes, nor do more than 5 crunches at a time, or even get in plank position and stay for 2 seconds. I tried a beginners yoga video and quit after 5 minutes bc I couldn't do it. I did the same video for the first time since last night and totally rocked it.

BUT I do NOT see weight loss results unless I cut my calories/portions...
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time adjusting to the "workout" portion of losing weight.

Thanks for answering (:

A minimum of 3 days a week. I shoot for 5 or 6.

I workout anywhere from 30 minutes to 90 minutes

I strength train 3 times a week and I'm doing the C25k program 2-3 days a weeks, hike 2 times a week and once in awhile I do yoga.

I have pictures on my profile. That's the best way to judge.