Water. Don't Stress It?

Options
http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp

This makes me *insanely* happy! I almost puked twice yesterday trying to get just a half gallon of water in yesterday. And on days like today (grey and chilly) my body turns to ice at the thought of drinking water (even at room temp).

Replies

• Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hahaa... As a non-American, I was wondering for some time already, what that thing with water was all about. Sodium is another one that pops up now and then. It is amazing to see how these things are intimately connected to a strong sense of guilt (or achievement).
  • mrsbullard21
    Options
    I don't know that Snopes.com is the most reliable source, especially in disproving theories like this one. But I've always thought of the whole 8-cups-of-water-per-day as a nutritional suggestion, not a requirement. I don't think that if you drink less water than that you'll curl up into a crisp shell of a person because of dehydration...but I know that I personally feel 200 times better if I do drink at least that much water. Today I haven't even started drinking water yet and I can definitely tell.
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I always feel like I have buckets of energy when I drink all of my water. And since I have been consistently drinking 8+ cups a day, my skin looks fantastic!
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Please...PLEASE don't think I'm trying to discredit water for everyone. If it makes you look/feel great then by all means - drink it. :-) I'm just saying it usually makes me sick to my stomach unless I'm sweating like a pig (do they sweat?) in the hot sun and makes me cold if it's chilly outside.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I drink well over 8 cups a day.
    I'd get severely dehydrated if i didn't with all the working out and running.

So I'd do what works for you. You adapt to it, theres no reason for people to not drink 64 ounces a day. It's not going to have an ill effect.
  • FluffyNoMore26
    FluffyNoMore26 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Just a question so i can try to understand. Do you drink other stuff? Like juice or cokes? i would recommend talking to your doctor if drinking water makes you nausiated. I think a good rule of thumb is at least 4 8oz glasses of water. I work for a veterinarian and when people ask is my dog getting enough water he says that they need about 3 cups a day and it varies a little on size of the animal. All animals drink water some more than others. We are living breathing creatures just like all animals so of course we need water to keep our bodies going. As for the snopes article I dont know where they got their info from so I cant say whether to believe it or not.
  • FluffyNoMore26
    FluffyNoMore26 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Maybe your drinking it too fast. You need to seperate it throughout the day. Like maybe 1 8oz glass every 2 or 3 hours if not more.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    I stick mostly with tea (both decaf and caf) and a cup or two max of coffee. Then there's my daily protein shake which usually has water and powdered milk. I can't have soda since my WLS surgery last summer and I've totally lost taste for it to boot. :-)

I've also nixed alcohol for close to two months now.

*edit* Oh, and no juice. WLS again...too much sugar for my system to handle unless it's *really* watered down which just renders it gross IMHO. So I don't bother. Rather eat the fruit. :-)
  • monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I've read in multiple places that water is like calories. Everyone is different in what they need. I personally can't drink that much water without throwing up. If your pee is the color of apple juice, you're dehydrated, if it's light like lemonade, you're ok. For me, lemonade color comes after about 4-6 glasses.
  • lvcsy1
    lvcsy1 Posts: 28
    Options
    Roughly 60% of your body is water (roughly 2/3 of your body mass) so it is a good thing to try and drink plenty of it

A good estimate is to take your weight and divide it in half, and that is how many ounces of water you should drink a day.
    Try crystal light packets, they are only 5 calories and somewhat disguise the taste of plain water
  • monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If I drank 100oz of water a day I'd be so ill. I tried for 64 yesterday and almost got sick. Maybe I'm just weird.
  • TheReluctantDragon
    Options
    Another thing I will do on cold days is pour some hot water in a cup and shake a half teaspoon of cinnamon into it. It's warm, keeps me hydrated, and even suppresses appetite. =)
  • StephanieJ82
    Options
    wow i have never heard that before. I LOVE water. i drink nothing else. I even wake up during the night and have some. I never really even considered people felt different. LOL. I usually only get about 5-7 glasses these days because the time flies by, but when i worked in an office i drank at LEAST 10 glasses.
    I even notice the days i don't drink much water i get a headache. I also notice my hands are a bit fatter (rings are tighter)