question about baby spinach

Options
I just tried baby spinach for the first time. I was not a fan of the taste. My questions is this will balsamic vingerette mask the taste of the baby spinach? Or is there anything that will? I'm really trying to eat more veggies :smile:

Replies

• jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I actually love baby spinach and eat it all the time in salads... but any strong flavored salad dressing will probably mask the taste...
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I don't come across many veggies that taste good. Up until 8 months ago all I would eat is corn, cooked carrots and green beans (not a fan of green beans).

I am getting better. I use spinach in my salads and the vinaigrette dressing will cover up the taste. Raspberry vinaigrette is great with spinach salads. Kraft makes an EVOO raspberry that is really, really good.

It helps me with my sweet tooth.
  • heididormanen
    Options
    I don't love spinach either but if I use some spinach and some romain lettuce that works for me.. I also can put it on pizza or in quicke and I don't mind it.. and even some soups too
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Why bother masking it? If you don't like it, then you don't like it. Try something else that you may like. Of course that being said, when I eat dinner, I tend to eat the things I don't like so well first and finish up on the yummy stuff so I feel like I just a lot of the yummy stuff.
  • lovebyrd17
    Options
    Trying mixing it with some other greens like romaine etc. Balsamic Vinagrette is a good mask...I love Kraft's Fat-Free Rasberry Balsamic Vinagrette :)
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    I love baby spinach. Balsamic vinegarette does improve the taste. I simple dressing of olive oil, vinegar, salt and a bit of honey makes it absolutely delicious. Another way to use it is in a smoothie. Blend some strawberries, banana and a handfull of baby spinach. It's delicious.
  • lipt8611
    lipt8611 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    If you like garlic and/or soy sauce/teriyaki, I love to sautee fresh spinach with minced garlic and lemon pepper, or sautee with a little soy sauce or teriyaki (a little goes a long way). I love spinach though. It's worth a try for you, though!

Are you eating baby spinach on it's own? As a salad base? Eating it on it's own would be very boring, I would imagine. Try adding a sliced apple, some blue or gorgonzola, raw almonds, etc. And balsamic should help with the taste!
  • bmonahan115
    bmonahan115 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just tried baby spinach for the first time. I was not a fan of the taste. My questions is this will balsamic vingerette mask the taste of the baby spinach? Or is there anything that will? I'm really trying to eat more veggies :smile:

haha i fee the same wya about just plain spinach, def toss some chopped garlic or some sliced shallots in the pan before adding the spinach and it'll be suuuuper yummy, you could def do the vinegerette but its also one of thoe things that you have to be light on or it'll just taste like bitter on bitter. also if you have roasted red pepper toassing that in the pan before hand is yumm too, and just means more veggies in one serving! so it'll be easy to get the exra veggies you want! :-D also if you can eat puff pastry you can stuff it with the spinach, some diced onions and some feta cheese and have them as lil veggie poppers to bring as a snack at work or while your out. warm or cold it's yummy :D
  • ShelbyLB
    ShelbyLB Posts: 431
    Options
    I personally LOVE spinach....have you tried putting into a pan with a bit of cooking spray or spray butter, a dash of salt & pepper, and perhaps onions or bell peppers if you like them?? I do this A LOT, and then either put it into an egg white omelet, or into a low-cal tortilla wrap!! :)
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Or for a different way to get greens in......

Blend your spinach with water and frozen fruit to make a smoothie - you won't taste the spinach at all. Or, if you need it even sweeter use Light cranberry juice instead of water (I did that this morning - too sweet for me, but a lot of people like it). Make sure to use a frozen banana plus maybe berries to start with. The banana really masks any trace of spinach taste.

Sounds (and looks) gross - but trust me on this one!!!
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    a little olive oil and sea salt is what i put on mine. add some other veggie or protein for a balance snack/ meal.
  • desirez131
    desirez131 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! The reason why I asked is because I didn't eat lettuce until I had it with vingerette. I'm not sure about buying it on my own but more of a quick option for lunch (at a salad bar). Hopefully I'll get to the point where I like things enough to try them at home, but for now I'm trying to aquire a taste for veggies lol
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I don't really love it either, but I make my salads with half spinch/half mixed greens (about 2 cups each) because I (and all ladies) NEED iron. I like it with a little balsamic and a 1/4 tsp of sesame oil and some red pepper flakes. The sesame oil has a very strong toasty/nutty flavor and combined with the other veggies and spicy pepper flakes, the spinach is hardly noticeable!
  • KristenSyrenne
    Options
    A smoothie is the way to go. (approximately) I put in a cup of 1% milk, a cup of frozen berries (dark ones) , 1 scoop of Whey protine (I like the raspberry Swirl) Tbls of Udo's Oil (or something with omaga's such as hemp seed or chia seed) , a handfull of baby spinach then blend and yummmmmmy! You can't even tell you put a handful of spinach in!
  • KristenSyrenne
    Options
    A smoothie is the way to go. (approximately) I put in a cup of 1% milk, a cup of frozen berries (dark ones) , 1 scoop of Whey protine (I like the raspberry Swirl) Tbls of Udo's Oil (or something with omaga's such as hemp seed or chia seed) , a handfull of baby spinach then blend and yummmmmmy! You can't even tell you put a handful of spinach in!