Diagnosed with anorexia

Options
I went to the doctor today and they diagnosed me with anorexia. They told me my heart rate was only 40, and if it had been two beats less I could be in the hospital or dead. It was a huge shock to me and I still can't believe it. The doctor told me no exercising until I gain a couple pounds (I weigh 109 and my goal is 115). Is anyone on here trying to gain weight or is going through the same thing? If you have any advice for putting on weight in a healthy way, please let me know. Thank you.

Replies

• onawho
    onawho Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    there is a girl that posted just last night or a few days ago that you need to find. I wish I could remember her username. She is in the same boat you are in.

Please keep bumping up your post and perhaps she will find you.

I am rooting for you. !!

this is the girl someone else found her and I just copied the link.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/214923-a-different-kind-of-before-after
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I was trying to think of the name of the Girl that started a thread the other night looking for friends dealing with Anorexia. I know part of her name is Penny (user name) I was thinking it was MissPenny but checked the profile and that doesn't seem to be it.

Hopefully she'll see this or one of her friends will and be able to share her user name with you.:flowerforyou:

Big hugs:heart:
  • ColeyCannoli
    Options
    bump
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to gain weight. but not for the same reasons.

I dealth with anorexia in middle/high school so if you ever need any help feel free to shoot me a message.
  • crissi66
    crissi66 Posts: 98
    Options
    im not in the same boat but good luck!!! healthy protein and some healthy carbs should work good for you.

we are all here for you.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are going through this, it's so easy for some of us to put on weight we tend to forget their are people with the opposite problem. I wish you the best of luck!
  • bbear
    bbear Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm 110lbs (a bit underweight for my frame) and am trying to put on a few pound of muscle. I can fill you in on what I have learned and am always willing to lend an ear. Best of luck.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    There are a few of us out here, its hard, but you just have to focus on each day, and try to not let wanting to control your eating to consume you....try to put positive thoughts in your head about what you eat, try to make healthy choices, and remember, its not the end of the world if you do not exercise every day......
    I know how difficult this battle is, and I hope you have a good support system around you......
    Good luck♥
  • tryshaantonelli
    tryshaantonelli Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Drinking Ensure is probably the best and healthiest way to gain the few pounds the doctor is looking for. Thats what they give to anorexic in-patients in the hospital. Trust me, I know...... It doesn't taste too bad and it is a good supplemental nutrition source in between meals. Try to switch back to 'full fat' versions of foods. no more 'lite' or 'low fat'. I know it sounds nauseating, but it will help you reach the doctors goal weight for you. Good luck.
  • kcmckillip
    kcmckillip Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Courtney, I am not going through what you are, but my nephew has to gain weight (he is not anorexic but ill in a different way that reduces his apetite). I don't have any great advice for you, but I wanted to show you some support.

I know that nuts and milk are high in good fats and have lots of nutrition. Cook things in olive oil (again, good fat). Also,100% fruit juce has no fat but lots of calories. You don't have to eat greasy and sugary, but try to find things that are healthy.

I'm completely the other direction. I got on this site to lose weight, but I've been able to help my nephew work on increasing his calorie intake because I have become more aware of calories in general.

Good luck and take care of yourself. You are worth a healthy body.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I am very glad to see you are reaching out for help. I hope you were given other resources to explore as well. It is important you have a team of people to support you durning this challenge. Please ensure that you do this. It is important these people have a great understanding of you as well as the disease. MFP is very supportive in many aspects and I think it may be a nice source of supplemental support.

I truly hope you find and get the support and help you need. This disease can have life long affects. Things we don't realize when we are in it..

Hugs!
  • getNskinny2day
    Options
    Check out this post http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/214923-a-different-kind-of-before-after

It's fairly recent, and the girl has done real well gaining back some weight and she looks great.
  • lovezumba
    lovezumba Posts: 26
    Options
    Theres a girl on here, her username is audreyyrose, she is going through the same thing as you. she has a topic in the success stories, its titled a different kind of before and after. I really think that you should talk to her.

Good Luck
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Drinking Ensure is probably the best and healthiest way to gain the few pounds the doctor is looking for. Thats what they give to anorexic in-patients in the hospital. Trust me, I know...... It doesn't taste too bad and it is a good supplemental nutrition source in between meals. Try to switch back to 'full fat' versions of foods. no more 'lite' or 'low fat'. I know it sounds nauseating, but it will help you reach the doctors goal weight for you. Good luck.

Completly agree. Although never tryin to gain weight I use to drink them bc of all of the vitamins and minerals as a snack. But if you drink 2 of them a day as suggested then you should gain a lil over time. Plus the chocolate is really good!
  • sweet_lotus
    sweet_lotus Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hey, am sorry you're going through this. But, wow that sounds scary. I'm so glad that you got appropriate medical help and are still here!!!

Some of the suggestions are great. This is going to sound silly but I have some experience rehabilitating horses who have been neglected and thus very underweight. We actually limit their food intake (horses eat all day, if left to their own devices) at first as to avoid something called refeeding syndrome; basically the body is not used to a lot of food all at once and that can be bad. So, we do several calorie dense meals throughout the day for a while, until they gain a bit and are healthier. So they're actually getting a lot of calories, but in a paced approach so their bodies can take it in gradually.

I think doing something like that - eating regular meals regular, calorie rich snacks - would be a good way for your body to adjust to taking in more calories. Someone mentioned good fats - avocado, nuts, etc. - those are calorie dense but also very nutritious. One of my favorite snacks is a slice of whole grain Italian bread dipped in extra virgin olive oil, ground pepper, and some parmesan cheese. Lots of good, heart healthy calories! Dried fruit is also calorie dense and good for you. Full fat dairy would probably be a good choice at this point too. A cup of yogurt or some ice cream will fill you up.

I hope that you're working with a mental health professional to deal with your eating disorder. It's really important to perceive food as nourishing. Best of luck to you!!
  • TonyTrinch
    Options
    I think it's awesome you had the courage to post this and I wish you awesome amounts of luck! I battled with anorexia from 18 years old to around 23. Spent those whole five years at 105 lbs, still thinking I was fat and wishing I could just get under 100. It's not an easy road to come back down from, but the fact that you know what you're dealing with and are asking for support is a massive first step! It took me the whole five years to even believe them when I was told I needed to gain weight, so to believe that already is really a big deal.
    Feel free to friend me or message me if you need someone to talk to! :heart:
  • rg4u
    rg4u Posts: 20
    Options
    I am currently in recovery from anorexia as well and I just got out of over 4 months of inpatient treatment. Kudos to you for recognizing that you need to get better. Eating disorders are no way of life.
    If possible I think you should make an appointment with a nutritionist and discuss how you can put on weight in a healthy way. One piece of advice though - don't shy away from having sweets and cakes. Don't use them as your only way of gaining weight though - incorporate healthy foods such as nuts and other protein sources. This will prevent you from craving them and in turn binging on them.
    Message me if you want any other advice!
    Good Luck!