Yes, You CAN Do It!

Options
Yesterday was one of "those days" for me. I ran into someone I hadn't seen for a number of years. She looked at me like she didn't recognize me, and said, "I wondered, could that be Beth . . . "

Well, the old insecurities reared their ugly heads, and I went over and over in my mind, do I look *that* different? Do I look fat? old? ugly? Mind you, I was on my way to my painting job this week, had on some homely clothes & no makeup. This is a girl who is naturally skinny & beautiful and always looks put together.

Once those awful wheels began turning, I began to doubt everything -- doubted if I could reach my fitness goals, my life goals, if I was ever going to get where I want to get in life. Then, I finally told myself, you are not going to get there in one day, and you are NOT defined by someone else's (perceived) opinion of you.

Today is a new day! I did ChaLEAN Extreme Burn Circuit 2, which started my day off right. I FINALLY finished my paint job (the brick fireplace from hell). I went to a Mexican restaurant and had half a portion of the lunch enchilada. I counted out my tortilla chips. Today, I feel great, like I am GOING to get to where I want to get, and I won't have to feel bad about how I look or anything else anymore.

I wanted to post this for all of you who doubt yourselves, who feel like it's two steps forward and three steps back. Sometimes, it's like that, but just keep going toward your goals, and you'll get there. And to all my MFP.com friends who have been such great buddies to me, THANK YOU for the inspiration. There have been days I would not have worked out, except for the fact that all of YOU logged such great workouts. You've inspired me to do better, be better, and reach for better. Thanks so much.

b :smile:

Replies

• donsch
    donsch Posts: 40
    Options
    I know how you feel! Last night while walking a friend/neighbor whom I have not seen for some time said to me, "have you lost weight?" My gut reaction was a negative one-but I am a new/different person than I was before. Sometimes I think it is as hard to change the psychic as it is the eating and exercise habits!
    Keep up the good work.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    You are a beautiful woman, Beth. In many, many ways, inside and out. Your post reminds me of my favorite quote from Marianne Williamson

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

You are meant to shine. And with this post you have written you encourage all of us to shine as well. Keep paying it forward and you will reach your goals while helping others reach theirs.
    Risa