Hello from Small Town Ontario :)

Options
Hello to anyone reading this - thanks for taking the time to get to know me. I'm a little nervous putting this all out there, but I guess this is why I'm here, so here goes:

My name is Stephanie. I'm 29, and live in a small town in Southern Ontario. I am recently married, an elementary school teacher and a green belt in Jujitsu (San Do Jutsu - Kempo Karate, Judo & Jujitsu). I used to run, but haven't in a few years. I'd like to say I ran when I was skinny, but I've never been skinny. Ever.

I'm 5'8", currently weigh 264lbs and wear a size 20.

I've always been big - I was a big, healthy baby. I was the chubby one in elementary school, the fat girl in high school and the fall back girl in university. I got teased, but made it through with dignity and a small, but very close group of friends.

I am a very lucky woman. I have a job that I love (and hate sometimes, but that's life!), a husband who loves me for who I am, not what I look like (though he says he loves that too) and a family who is loving and supportive.

I have often thought I have needed to change my lifestyle, but I finally got the kick in the *kitten* I needed recently when several things happened.

1. My dad, who is obese and has a variety of blood disorders, had a physical break down, and was told that if he wanted to see his grandchildren (who, btw are not even a spark in my eye yet!) he had better get his weight in check.

2. I realized, while flying through the air during a Jujitsu class, that landing sucks, especially with all my weight falling, AND that my partner was actually struggling to lift me which has never happened before.

3. I hate the way my clothes fit.

4. I hate the way I feel.

and the straw that broke the camel's back:

5. I sat on an "el cheapo" stool in my classroom and it broke, right out from under me. I went *kitten* over tea kettle and ended up on my *kitten* on the floor in front of my entire class.

I was mortified and it was that exact moment I decided enough was enough.

I am on day three of counting my calories, and so far, I'm pleased with the way things are going. I had no idea how many calories I ate a day before I started counting - which probably explains my weight problem pretty concisely. I ate whatever I wanted with total disregard for my body. Enough's enough.

Right now, I'm just adjusting my diet. Trying to get myself into a routine. Once we get more than a day of nice weather, I'm going to start running again. Trying to take things in baby steps so that this "diet" doesn't become yet another that doesn't work.

Anyway, I guess that's all for now. If you have any words of advice, I'll take any I can get! If not, I hope you too can reach your goals, whatever they are. :)

Replies

• ChantalD75
    ChantalD75 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! this is a great site!!!! It's helped me keep going now for almost 2 months... dropped 18lbs so far! I am too from a small town in Manitoba!! Welcome neighbor!! Add me if you like! Chantal
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Good luck on your journey :flowerforyou:
  • missmmaynes
    missmmaynes Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You are welcome to add me as a friend if you'd like. You are going to LOVE it here!! The support from your new found "friends" is amazing!! Congratulations on taking on this journey!!
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Welcome! I just started MFP a few days ago and I'm loving it so far! It really keeps me in check knowing I have to log whatever I eat later (do I realllly want that cookie? haha). Feel free to add me on here if you want some extra support! I think the anonymity of the internet makes it really easy for us to all talk about weight and emotions and all that jazz connected to weightloss when we're blindly posting on a message board with people who have the same goals as us. Anyway, best of luck to you and congratulations for taking the first step!
  • CindyN58
    CindyN58 Posts: 39
    Options
    Hi...I just started yesterday. I live in Southern Ontario. You are welcome to add me as a friend. I guess we both have just begun!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I also am from a small town in Southern Ontario. There are lots of very helpful people here, and MFP makes counting calories easy compared to how I used to do it. You can get rid of this weight, but remember it takes time.
  • lijparsons
    lijparsons Posts: 258
    Options
    Welcome! I'm new here too. I've been on here less than a week. I'm already addicted. I'll add you as a friend...feel free to add me too!
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'm from "big town" Ontario (GTA), but Im also 5'8" and 262lbs.
    I have been struggling with weight since I hit puberty and Im doing my damndest to to get where I want to be.
    Add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • JoAnnLeahMurphy
    Options
    Hey! Just started and I am addicted to it - well the reading part...not so much the exercise part! LOL I am hoping that will come soon!! Good luck
  • Roukie
    Roukie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    welcome! I'm from small town Manitoba. This site has been critical in helping me get control of my life. I have lost 16 lbs since January which I am very proud of. Feel free to lean on me as well!
  • teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    SMALL TOWN ONTARIO HERE... about to move to an even smaller town!!!! good luck with mfp.. i love it and am addicted to logging in!!!
  • kshaw09
    kshaw09 Posts: 48
    Options
    Welcome, I'm also from Ontario. I started here a while ago and have been on and off but recently commited to staying on track. Would love to offer some support. Good luck!
  • itsgracia
    itsgracia Posts: 35
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me.
  • Kolene_Kaffeen
    Kolene_Kaffeen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I jus joined, as well. I am 5"1 and at 1 point weighed 272 lbs. I am hoping this site will b the motivation and support I need 2 take the resta this weight off. I'm sooo close, yet the last 30 seem so hard. Good luck 2 u. I know u can do it. And I'm gonna do it 2!
  • stepherjensen
    stepherjensen Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wow! You have all overwhelmed me with your support - Thank you! I will add you all once I figure this stuff out, and please feel free to add me too! Love to everyone, and THANK YOU again! :)
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    Hi there! I'm from "big town", Ontario (T.O.), and am a newby to MFP as well. I'll add you shortly!

If you're looking for a good program to get into running, check out www.c25k.com.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I'm from a big town in Ontario. I would love to add you!
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    hi stephanie welcome and gd luck:flowerforyou:
  • mmaboydwechanged
    Options
    I'm from Hamilton, Ontario. I just did a call out today to get some Canadian friends so I'll add you.:smile:

Anybody else feel free to add me would love your support also.
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
    Your openness and honesty is so refreshing and pleasant! You're going to do great!