Constipation.. please help!!

Options
I am having a real problem and really need help. I am adding benefiber to my water around 40 grams, I am eating pretty healthy and moving more than I have ever. I am going about 2 a week and that is with help from exlax. I just started making green smoothies for breakfast as a way to get more raw veggies in, but it hasn't helped yet. Any ideas??

Replies

• maggieminus50
    Options
    I drink a cup of coffee and that always works for me!
  • Renonvme
    Renonvme Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Popcorn helps me!
  • Cmuchoa
    Cmuchoa Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Remember to drink plenty of water when you do any fiber supplements or it will actually make you more constipated. To see what I mean - mix your fiber in a glass of water - instead of drinking it just walk away for a little while - when you come back it will be practically solid. This is exactly what will happen inside of yr body if you do not drink water all day. Besides relying on fiber supplements make sure you eat plenty of fruit (cantaloupe & apples are good for yr problem) and eat plenty of dark colorful veggies. Dark greens and purples are fantastic for you. Hope everything comes out ok - lol - got to keep yr humor when all else fails ô¿ô
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    When I first started changing my diet the same thing happened to me.
    It soon cleared up.
    I agree about coffee though.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    its not as simple as more fiber and water, you also need good fats in the diet as many of us tend to shy away from fat when shedding weight your body needs good fats to help move things along, so add some almonds, peanuts, olive oil to your diet a good probiotic also helps in some cases.
  • astromachine
    astromachine Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Psyllium husks! Mix them with water then drink and basically they go all slimy in your belly (or in the cup if you leave them there for too long :P) and help to slide things along.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    I started adding milled flax seed to things like oatmeal & yogurt & I think it is helping. Other than that - lots of veggies, raw fruit, lots of water and lots of walking works best for me. Coffe doesn't work for me...unless I add some Bailey's Irish Cream to it! :tongue:
  • Bridge3272
    Options
    OMG! I bet you are right! I was having a problem and I wasn't using any fiber and I didn't go for 12 days and I bet i am now over doin git on the fiber!!
  • Bridge3272
    Options
    What is Psyllium husks?
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,247 Member
    Options
    As stated you need lots, and I mean LOTS of water, and you need healthy fats. I use Chia seeds because they are digestible without grinding and a great source of Omega 3s and fiber. Flax seed is good that way as well. Use a little olive oil in foods, but only a little as it has lots of calories per tablespoon.
  • biggiwig
    biggiwig Posts: 76
    Options
    Had the same problem. I drink "YOGI Get Regular gentle herbal laxative" Tee, which helps me a lot, when that occurs. But be careful, if you drink more than 2 cups you might get a little stomach cramps. But it works very good.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't usually have problems this way but in the odd instance that I do, black licorice gets things moving every time.
  • Lakelady48
    Options
    Yes, on lots of water. I also add flax meal to my oatmeal or any soup I'm having. And if I need a snack in the late afternoon or after dinner, a fiber bar feels almost like a candy bar. Very filling and helpful too.
  • maggieminus50
    Options
    I get the psyllium husk capsules from GNC and they keep me regular and i never feel bloated,I only take one in the morning.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup of coffee and that always works for me!

This is a cure in itself for many people
  • 82song
    82song Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    not sure if you get these in the US, but in the UK we have a yoghurt called activia- you eat one a day for about two weeks, i find its very potent!!!! also there is senakot which I presume you migh get a pharmacies or health shops. then again there's prunes and castor oil!! hope you find something!
  • tdexter
    tdexter Posts: 15
    Options
    Natural yogurt, Danone make a good one. Just look for probiotics on the ingredient list. Not Activia, costs too much and is full of sugar. I work a couple of spoons of natural yogurt into my breakfast. Works really well.
  • ajtn1994
    ajtn1994 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Any type of hot/warm drink will help....coffee,prune juice,orange juice.

I have to use a supplement and Miralax works better for me than anything else.
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    all i know is that if i eat 2 fiber one bars in a 10 minute period then i can't stop.