I AM NOT A RUNNER AT ALL

Options
but i feel like i should start? now i absolutley hate running, and i dont think i can even run a mile, so how far do you guys think i should start out? because i dont wanna try to run and kill myself hahaha...any suggestions?

Replies

• casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    I've heard the couch to 5k program is an amazing way to start running. If you google it, it should pop right up. It's all about intervals, walking for so many minutes, jogging for some, and increasing that as you go on. You can even find podcasts you can download that have music set up to go with the intervals so you know when to walk and when to run without having to time it.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Agreed! Look at the Couch to 5K program http://www.c25k.com/ I used to run, but haven't in years and I just started doing that program last week to get back into running shape.
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    I used to say that too! I wouldn't run unless I was being chased. Now I love it. You just have to get beyond that really hard beginning stage and then it's really enjoyable.

I've had to restart 2 or 3x due to illness or injury or recovery. It's just like starting all over again, but doesn't take as long.

I never did the C25K program. I just started running here and there during my walks and before I knew it, I was running more than walking. Good luck!
  • jjhenry5
    jjhenry5 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat 4 years ago when some friends convinced me to sign up for a half marathon. I hadn't run at all since high school gym class. I didn't think that I liked running, but buckling to peer pressure and needing to get in shape, I relented. When I started I could only run 15 seconds, then walk 45, and so on. And I only went a half mile. However, I did complete the half marathon six months later, and then I got hooked and have run 4 more halfs and 2 full marathons and am still running. You CAN do it.

Oh, and I was the only one who did that first half marathon out of the friends who convinced me to do it. I still give them grief over that.
  • dlynn08
    dlynn08 Posts: 57
    Options
    I am (almost) a graduate of the Couch to 5k program. I have one more run on Friday and I did it! It's great...though you might be tempted to give up when that 20 minute run in week 5 sneaks out of nowhere. Push yourself (listen to your body though---if you're going to die, slow down or stop) and you'll be AMAZED at what your body is capable of. Good luck!
  • jessdulin
    Options
    i also started out never have ran and im half way through the couch to 5k recomendations. i didnt follow it very strictly i just kept pushing myself little by little i used to only be able to do 30 seconds now im up to 5 min running. just start with interval training in replace of whatever you used to do for cardio its great and you learn to push your body little by little. 30 seconds more of an intense spirt each time is alot and i find myself doing it with more and more of my work outs.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    start with walking, then add in jogging/walking combined:smile:
  • Mandi1968
    Mandi1968 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I resorted to swimming, but I think I will look up this couch to 5K program, sounds intersting!
  • Homer3D
    Homer3D Posts: 318
    Options
    I will have to look for it, but I did something similar but it was more of a “couch to half marathon” training guide I found. I too hated running, but not because I didn’t like it but because I have flat feet. Makes running a little more painful than compared to people with normal feet. I don’t want to sound like a Nike ad, but just do it. On 1/1/2009 I made a news years resolution that I would complete a half marathon. When I started I barely going do half a mile without feeling like my heart was going to explode. As time went on, so did the miles. Eventually I was doing 5k’s (3 miles) as a “warm up”. Then you get in this weird rhythm where you are just jogging. One time I was out and I did 8 miles and didn't even realize it. I just stopped running because it got dark. I jog outside. Treadmills are boring. The pain if my feet is still there, but I have learned to “ignore it”. I notice after about 2 or 3 miles into the jog, it goes away. Well on 10/2009 I completed my first ever half marathon. Success!

Me at the finish http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/6926_1243087473602_1121801784_30782076_453711_n.jpg
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    When I started back in December I was not a runner. I never enjoyed running or treadmill. I started out slow on the treadmill to benefit from the calorie burn. I enjoy running and treadmill now. Looking forward to my first 5k in May and 10k over Memorial Day weekend.
  • JoAnnLeahMurphy
    Options
    I did look at the couch to 5k and it does look amazing. I was going to start it this week but could not find a stop watch or any watch for that matter, so I still started to run. My first run I jogged to three light posts, and then walked one light post, then jogged three light posts and walked one, ect, and did this for 30 minutes. The next time I went out I jogged the four poles and walked one, and repeated that...so that is how I am starting... good luck!

6472775.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • andyj1984
    andyj1984 Posts: 76
    Options
    I did my first session of C25K today, after someone on the forum recommended it to me! Manged 8 minutes of jogging, with 12 minutes of walking. Was very out of breath by the end of it! I might have to repeat the odd week here and there, since my general fitness is pretty poor :( But I'm determined to succeed with it! Ultimately I want to get back into swimming, but I need a bit more general fitness behind me first, I think! (don't want to drown) LOL
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I hated couch to 5k, I just started out using fitness music created for interval training, my favorites are the cardio coach series by Sean OMalley. I never thought I like running but now I can't get enough. If you go to runnersworld.com there are training programs for free on there too.

I just found C25K to be slow.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I hated couch to 5k, I just started out using fitness music created for interval training, my favorites are the cardio coach series by Sean OMalley. I never thought I like running but now I can't get enough. If you go to runnersworld.com there are training programs for free on there too.

I just found C25K to be slow.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm scared to start...I have the C25K app on my phone, and I want to download the itunes C25K that coaches you on how to run...I have never ran, and I feel that my fat butt needs a good work out, so if you want be my friend we can get through this together....
  • Marisela233
    Marisela233 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump
    if your doing this on a treadmill i have a great walking excercise that might prepare you for some jogging its a great calorie burner and its only 45 mins long or C25K is great also i just started a few days ago and i love it!! i can post up the excercise later on in the day :)
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I LOATHE running, plus I get awful shin splints, no matter what I do. I know there are many many people out there that LOVE to run, but I am NOT one of them, so, I sympathize. :grumble: I've tried starting out gradually, the C25K program (for about 2 weeks -- hated it too) but I found what I do LOVE, and that's cycling. I LOVE it so much, I plan on riding in some races next year. (After I get a decent road bike, that is. My el cheapo mountain bike is just not cutting it!)

I say, find what you love to do -- THAT'S the best motivation ever. If I didn't love to ride, I sure would not feel like making myself slog through it, even if it's just to lose weight, get healthy, etc. . . I've found that no amount of guilting myself into exercising works with me. If I hate it, I'm just not going to do it. :angry: (Plus, the shin splints are a big killer, too.)
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I read on another thread this morning that you can download music to accompany the couch to 5k program. I think it was called Podrunner.
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I used the podrunner intervals by dj beatsmith (c25k website - free to download) and it was great. Really easy to follow and the weeks and km's flew by.
    I dont really understand why people would use such strong negative statements like "scared to start" and "I cant run"? Not picking on anyone in particular, I just dont get what there is to be scared of and how would you know if you cant run if you havnt given it a good shot?
    Save being scared for the big things like heights or sharks and the "cant"s should be reserved for things like "I cant pull a train by myself" lol. Its just running :happy:
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    For some of us, it's not "just running". I was one of those people that was scared to start. I have general anxiety disorder and part of it is health anxiety. With my weight, I've been worried about my heart for a while. I was genuinely scared that if I did really strenuous physical activity like running, I'd have a heart attack. Yeah, I know that's pretty paranoid for someone my age, but I've been fat for a long time and have had high blood pressure for a long time. Another thing I get with my anxiety is panic attacks (shortness of breath, dizziness, etc...), so I was afraid I'd be running and pass out.

I actually went to my doctor for a heart stress test. Heart is fine and I'm on week 6 of c25k. I still have twinges of worry about it though. I KNOW that it's helping my heart (my blood pressure meds have been reduced by half after only 2 months), but anxiety isn't logical. I can't talk myself out of it no matter how hard I try.