Motivation

Options
Hi MFP,

How do you get motivated to workout? I work full time and go to school. Any tips or suggestions?? Please help!!!

Replies

• AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I try to view it as a scheduled appt for myself at least 3 times a week. It doesn't always work but I find if it is on my calendar or schedule, I am mor apt to do it even if I drag myself into the room to get it done. I have never not enjoyed it once I got started!! Plus the reward of logging it into MFP and seeing the cals come back is an awesome feeling to me!!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I use Outlook and schedule myself for appointments.

No excuse for missing them... I wouldn't miss a business meeting on my schedule, why should an appointment for me be any different.

It also sends me reminders :happy:
  • muncharoo
    muncharoo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The only thing I tell myself before a workout is that I will feel so good when its done and that I will be very proud of myself and that I can eat a little bit more. lol good luck
  • mszSHOGAN
    mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I'm a full time mommy of 3 busy boys, wife, student and employee (among other things like lanudromat, cook, maid....you get the picture). My motivation comes from me wanting to do this for ME! And to help me currently I've got a really cute dress I'm trying to get in to this summer. :wink: I have a lot on my plate and I have found that SURPRISINGLY when I kick it in to gear and work out hard I've actually got MORE energy to get other things done and I'm overall more productive. It doesn't make sense logically, but when I slack on working out I notice that I slack on everything else. I get up between 5-5:30 so I can get my workout in before work, then the rest of the day I dedicate to the other bazillion things I need to get done. Just search for what YOU want and use that as your focus and motivation. Now.....GO WORK OUT! :tongue:
  • Cathytsbw
    Options
    And, once you have it "scheduled"......make sure you have your bag all packed the night before, etc. IPod charged, water bottles, whatever you need. If not, you might get sidetracked and not go at all
  • RoxMyWorld
    RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I make sure I do it first thing. I get up at 5am to get my run in before work. I work two jobs and have two kids so I am busy too and I was finding that everytime I said I would do it in the evening it never got done, I always found something else to do or was just too tired. The morning workout gives me energy and wakes me up and plus lets me eat more!!! LOL
  • RoxMyWorld
    RoxMyWorld Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I make sure I do it first thing. I get up at 5am to get my run in before work. I work two jobs and have two kids so I am busy too and I was finding that everytime I said I would do it in the evening it never got done, I always found something else to do or was just too tired. The morning workout gives me energy and wakes me up and plus lets me eat more!!! LOL
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    And, once you have it "scheduled"......make sure you have your bag all packed the night before, etc. IPod charged, water bottles, whatever you need. If not, you might get sidetracked and not go at all

Great idea! I pack my gym bag and go right after work, so I don't have any excuses. If I go home, I know I'm not coming back up. Somehow, the couch will force me to lay on it...and it's a wrap after that. lol! You can also include the family so it doesn't feel like a chore. Go out for a game of play football, or take them to the park while you jog around it. Make it fun for everyone. Exercise doesn't have to be a dvd or the gym only. The wii is also fun! I did 15mins of boxing and 45 mins of dancing to MJ experience. And it's all movement so I was able to track it on here. Best of luck!
  • DieselGrrl
    Options
    VARIETY! If I did the same workout everyday, I would never go to the gym! Also, if you can find a buddy, or someone to help hold you accountable, that helps tremendously. Find ways to include your family. I have recently discovered Jumping rope, which is a cheap, fun exercise that can be done in 15 minutes and is great for your legs! Also, anything is better than nothing, if you can only workout for a few minutes, take advantage of every opportunity. You will eventually find more and more time! Hang in there! :happy:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    My motivation is that I truly enjoy working out. I love challenges. If you don't look at it like an arduous task, it could help motivate you. It's easier said than done, but definitely changing up your perspective does create favorable results.
  • JANIE13D
    JANIE13D Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you!! I will definitely use the scheduling a workout never really thought about that! I would always say I am going to work out the next day and never do. Maybe if I have something to remind me about it I would be more apt to working out! Thanks!! :happy:
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I just joined the gym last week and up until then I kind of put it off because I would always think well the hubby gets home around such and such time and then we eat dinner, then we put the little one to bed and then we relax. I have an elliptical at home and I would do that sometimes, but never consistantly. My hubby goes to the gym close to his work that has a day care in it, but that is a little far for me to drive from home not to mention there is one less than a mile from our house (no day care though). After wanting to join the gym for a couple of months I finally just did it one day. I was thinking, everyone else is taking care of their self and I am taking care of them also and putting my self last. Since last week, I get up every morning a little before 4 and go to the gym. I find that I look forward to going every morning. Even this morning when I was super tired because I went to bed a little later than I should have I still jumped out of the bed and headed to the gym. Before I would try to do the elliptical at home in the morning and I would 9 out of 10 times choose to go back to bed. I feel so great when I leave the gym too! This is one of those things that you have to just push yourself to do even if you really don't want to knowing that you will feel great afterwards.